Okay, Greek yogurt lovers - what's the catch?!

Options
kmuree
kmuree Posts: 283 Member
I tried Dannon's Oikos - Traditional Strawberry this morning and oh my goodness, it was so good I practically licked the inside of the cup.

I've tried Chobani and nearly retched at the awful taste (though admittedly tried it plain and did not add much to it because I could not get past the bitterness). I want to eat Greek yogurt, because I know of the health benefits versus other types of yogurt -

-- but now that I've found one I absolutely love, I feel that there absolutely must be a catch. Is the Dannon Oikos (traditional) worse for you than 0% Fage, or Chobani?

Are the aforementioned brands just something you have to stomach and get used to? :huh:

I could use some serious guidance right now. :laugh:

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The yoplait greek cherry is my favorite treat.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Don't eat something if you don't like it.

The Dannon one is just as good.

Although 0% Fage is my fav, try adding some choc whey powder and berries, throw in freezer for a bit. FROYO.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would just try to check the sugar. I found that Stoneyfield Oikos isn't too high in sugar when compared to some of the other flavored brands out there. Or just buy the plain kind and add sugar free or Smucker's Simply Fruit jelly to it (or real fruit).
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    It just takes a while to get used to the taste (because your taste buds are generally over stimulated by sugar) I love Greek Gods plain, so thick and creamy. Best with a bit of honey.

I absolutely cannot eat the 0% fat version of anything plain though. Tastes sour and bleh.

Plain full fat with honey reminds me of fresh ricotta with honey...better than ice cream. Oh god miss the italian foods store so much. ;_; So many imported delicacies.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    What has Greek yogurt got then that others haven't?
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Liberte 0% cherry. OMG. Or vanilla. So good...
  • malystrasza
    Options
    Is the Dannon Oikos (traditional) worse for you than 0% Fage, or Chobani?

Are the aforementioned brands just something you have to stomach and get used to? :huh:

I could use some serious guidance right now. :laugh:

I've tried all those brands and enjoy them all. The Chobani with fruit are good. Though I once ate a plain one, (I don't remember which brand anymore maybe Dannon or Chobani), because I thought it was vanilla and it was naaaaaaasty. :laugh: I should have probably added some fruit, but I ended up eating it as is.
  • cxzawerf
    cxzawerf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same experience with the Dannon's Oikos Black Cherry flavor. OH MY GOODNESS! Best thing I have ever eaten.... okay, at lease in terms of greek yogurt.
  • capnwo85
    Options

It's generally higher protein than the others, that's all.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I prefer Fage 0% because to me it has less of a 'yogurt' taste. I blend it w/fruits (cherries) and some other veggies or a banana. I love it!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Although 0% Fage is my fav, try adding some choc whey powder and berries, throw in freezer for a bit. FROYO.
    This is going to be my dessert tonight. Thanks.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Higher protein content. Compare the labels.
  • capnwo85
    Options

This is going to be my dessert tonight. Thanks.

lol, if you can do it, also add some natty PB. It's glorious.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fage with Honey is my fave, but the benefits of Greek yogurt (high protein, low fat) are pretty standard from brand to brand I think. As with anything, read the label. Some varieties are higher fat or carbs than others. Since I started this site...I have noticed grocery shopping takes me longer because I wander from aisle to aisle reading labels. If the food meets your standards/goals and you like it, eat it. If not pass it by. I am not really a proponent for force feeding yourself "health" food that you don't like.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I love Greek Gods plain, so thick and creamy. Best with a bit of honey.

I absolutely cannot eat the 0% fat version of anything plain though. Tastes sour and bleh.

Ditto - 10% or nothing! I can't stand the texture of the low-fat yogurts... they just feel thin and gelatinous in my mouth. I'd rather save the full-fat versions for a special occasion. :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I eat Stonyfield Organic Oikos fruit on the bottom and add a couple or 3 ounces of plain, just enough that it's still fruit flavored.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hmm "traditional" eh. Check the MF%... I know some can be like 11%.

I am in forever love with greek yogurt. I always buy the natural, think it's 2% and add a bit of honey.

Edit to add: the 0%MF kind I tried was absolutely disgusting.....
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think they're all pretty much the same. I love the key lime Dannon Oikos greek yogurt and they also have a pineapple fat free kind. I prefer the chobani pineapple yogurt though which I believe is amazingly awesome! The oikos pineapple has a chalky taste to it so I'd rather eat the chobani and just accept the fact that it has fat in it.
  • brian1229
    Options
    The flavored ones are a bit higher in sugar than the plain ones, so keep that in mind.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i love fage with honey but at the moment im hooked on Chobani. The ones with the fruit on the bottom are divine and i could eat them all day. Saying that i like the slightly sour taste of greek yoghurt its yummy!!