Breast Feeding???

Options
I'm still breast feeding my 22 month old.
How many extra calories should I be eating to not fall under
a net of 1,200 cals?

Replies

• Buttondownlip
    Buttondownlip Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    500 to 600... but it really depends on how often...I would add a 100 calories for each full nursing session...you will know because your supply will dip.
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Once they're eating food it's less...so 300 cals.
  • fourbees
    fourbees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd go 300.

I was adding 500 when my bub was exclusively breastfed. Now he is on solids, but still BF 6-9 times a day and I'm finding 300 is fine. I just make sure I always snack on some almonds during the day as they are great for helping with milk supply :)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Dang. Ok thanks.
    How do I make my calorie requirements go up on here so it doesn't say I'm going over?
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    you can search under food and there is a options for breastfeeding that add up to 500 calories to your daily goal. First thing I do every morning is add those BF ing calories. I would say around 500 and GREAT JOB nursing still! Only 19% of women in the US who start breastfeeding, are still doing it at 1 year, and that drops dramatically after the 1st bday. Personally I think Ill nurse forever just for those 500 calories lol j/k
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Home tab, then click goals and you can change it from there.
  • VAMommyAgain
    Options
    Breastmilk is in the food database but I didn't like adding it there...mostly b/c they require measurements of how much milk you're delivering which of course you can't know unless pumping. I created my own exercise for it and add it in that way. You can see it in my diary if you want.
  • swatts7622
    swatts7622 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Home tab, then click goals and you can change it from there.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Unfortunately my son doesn't really eat solids. :\
    He was doing great, but recently he doesn't want to eat.
    I think his 2yr molars might be starting to come in. So he's been fussy, and mostly bfing again.
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    you can search under food and there is a options for breastfeeding that add up to 500 calories to your daily goal. First thing I do every morning is add those BF ing calories. I would say around 500 and GREAT JOB nursing still! Only 19% of women in the US who start breastfeeding, are still doing it at 1 year, and that drops dramatically after the 1st bday. Personally I think Ill nurse forever just for those 500 calories lol j/k

Haha, I would have BF a LOT longer too. I loved those extra calories :)
  • VAMommyAgain
    Options
    My 20 mth old eats food but also nurses at least 10 times a day....I still only account for 300 cals b/c I would rather underestimate than overestimate.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options

Lol
    It's so weird because the Pediatritians always say to try to nurse at LEAST a year, and women seem to hear UP TO 1 year.
    My mom was like, isn't he supposed to stop at 1year?
    ???
    Don't get me wrong, I think it would be super weird to be BFing a 3-4yr old, but saying a baby needs to be cut off by their 1st or 2nd bday is really no one else's business except the moms.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Thanks for the help. :)
    I figured it out.
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    I also nurse my 20 month old, but I don't add in my calories because I have SO. MUCH. TO. LOSE. I get the calories/nutrition I need and still have a good supply. If I was still exclusively nursing I would eat more, but since he's down to 5-6 times a day and eating plenty of other foods, I don't count them.
  • juxtapose13
    juxtapose13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about adding some extra calories for Bf ...it never occurred to me but I haven't done that and it's been a month maybe that's why my son wants to nurse all the time maybe he can't find any milk ??!,,,.. I am on 1200 and when I excercises I eat 200 more ....I appreciate any one input thanks