Okay, Greek yogurt lovers - what's the catch?!

Options

Replies

• pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back to having dairy because greek style yogurt is one of my favorite things for breakfast or a snack. I learned to like it fine long before it ever became "popular" and got sweetened and flavored. I sweeten mine with light agave syrup or with berries when they are fresh. Sometimes I add a little vanilla, sometimes I top with a tablespoon or two of Uncle Sam cereal.

Greek yogurt is thicker and brings more nutrition than american styled yogurts. You can buy plain american style yogurt and drain it in a coffee filter/strainer and get the same results I'm told. Cabot low-fat is my favorite when I'm watching dairy fat but I *love* the plain natural when I can eat it:

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=39&id=471
    http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=39&id=469
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I don't think there's a huge difference - I love chobani but also get yoplait greek which i've noticed is creamier and not so thick? chobani lemon and yoplait key lime are my faves. or peach of either brand! but I always get fruit flavors because although it can be eaten plain, it's going to be an acquired taste for most people. I buy the plain greek yogurt all the time and use it in place of sour cream for tacos, also made an awesome sauce the other day with it for baked salmon - chopped fresh dill and lemon juice greek yogurt - slather it on your fish and bake it, it's awesome.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, the catch is that particular yoghurt has 18g/150g of sugar. Some of that will be from the strawberries, some of that will be lactose and some of that will be sugar (it's the 4th ingredient.) That's still quite a lot of sugar. (About four and a half teaspoons.)

Comparatively, Fage (plain, whole fat) has 3.8g/100g of sugar and none of this corn starch, sodium citrate, potassium sorbate etc. So in my opinion you'd be better of buying plain Greek yoghurt and adding 1/4 frozen strawberries.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like Chobani, but not the plain. I love the other flavors much better. I have also tried Yoplait's greek yogurt and it wasn't bad, but I haven't tried anything else.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    vote for fage - think rich and filling added to fruit is yummy .....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love fage 2‰. Can't eat it alone, but add a teaspoon of honey and it's amazing. Great macros. A lot of the others are full of sugar and rubbish. The fage is no added anything x
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of trying it plain the first time too. It turned me off for months! I've been trying to up my protein intake so I tried chobani with blueberries. I'm hooked!!! I eat it every morning now. To me it's a lot more filling than regular yogurt, and tastes better. But I don't think any of them are really any worse or better. I would just look at the labels and compare sugar, protein, fat, carbs, etc. Some of them are different for the same brands anyway, depending on what type of fruit is in them.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazing! Thank you for your suggestions and input, I appreciate it. :bigsmile: I've been trying to meet my protein quota and the yogurts I usually eat are much too high in sugar with little protein so I've been looking to change over.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I can't eat plain Greek yogurt unless I'm using it as a sour cream substitute, and even then it's hard to swallow. I can add fruit to it, but I still have to add some sort of sweetener, unless the fruit is really ripe. My absolute favorite is Chobani's Peach flavor. I'm not too keen on most other brands.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's because you ate it plain. I can eat it plain now because I don't eat a lot of sweets, so I find it sweeter to me now, but in the beginning I always had to sweeten it myself.

It's got a distinct taste, that's for sure.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one I didn't like. There are ones I like beter though. Just takes some time getting used to them
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Try Chobani vanilla. Yes, it's a few more calories than plain but it kicks the a** of every other brand of vanilla Greek yogurt.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love Stoneyfield vanilla with sliced almonds. Honey flavor is good too, when I can find it. And no catch, really. It's a great, high protein snack that feels like a sweet treat.
    I use plain yogurt, too. Just for cooking. or in a pinch I'll add a lot of honey to it. It's very tart!!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I also made the mistake once of eating the plain Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt and I literally thought I would ralph. I even tried putting raisins in it or something to make it better and there was no helping that. I stuck to their vanilla although today I went to the grocery and bought Yoplait's Greek Yogurt and am going to try that and see if it's any good, they all have about the same amount of calories, sugar, protein, so I think it's really just what you like.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek Gods, Fage or Oikos. Since there's not much of a selection where I live now, sometimes I mix full fat Greek Gods with another non-fat. Full fat has less protein per serving but to me it tastes better on its own. Non-fat or low-fat will have higher protein per serving but I think it has a more sour taste.

My favorite mixers:
    Strawberries and vanilla protein
    Chocolate pudding mix and vanilla protein
    Honey and fresh berries

I also sometimes use the non-fat or low-fat as a substitute for sour cream, on its own or in other dip recipes.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Greek yogurt I couldn't stand it. But I tried different brands and flavours and frankly just let my tastebuds learn to appreciate it. I love the extra protein.

That being said, not all Greek yogurt is the same. Some add a lot of sugar, and some don't actually do it the "traditional" way but instead add milk protein as a shortcut. That makes a big difference in taste and texture.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    Chobani is my favorite! No plain variety of any brand will taste sweet-but you may have been expecting vanilla? The one brand I cannot eat is muller-looks great on the packaging but the taste is like sweetened mayonaisse. I bought it but threw it away.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like the full fat versions or the 2% versions at the very least.

i like plain too but i add a little reduced sugar jam or fresh fruit and granola. i love the mix of bitter and sweet. i find that the fattier version are more filling than the 0% ones
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    The kind with fruit prolly has a lot more sugar in it. I get the dannon oikos plain fat free and add some stevia and some fresh fruit for breakfast and its really good. I also combine it with some oatmeal... I even dress it up for dessert by adding some cocoa powder to it and some dark chocolate.
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    I eat the Fage 2 per cent and mix it with some Stevia and frozen raspberries. I would eat full fat but can never find it anymore (I try very hard for real, whole food and to make sure I get enough fat to absorb essential micronutrients/avoid excess sugars). The creaminess of the yogurt with some fat really improves it. I am so glad I gave up the whole low fat diet thing! I like So Coconut Greek yogurt plain. Nondairy, and although it is sweet, it is not overwhelming.