I DONT GET IT, SOME PEOPLES FOOD INTAKE CONFUSE ME

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight management it is simply a matter of calorie balance/deficit/surplus. Depending on if you're maintaining/loosing/gaining. These calories can come from anywhere, including candy. Body composition and health are a different discussion.

I promise you the person eating 1200 calories of only junk does not feel as good as the person eating 1200 well balanced calories.

Listen to the magerum. He know many thing. He wise man.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How is it on peoples food diary they have candy bars, pkgd processed foods, all kinds of junk and they make it under or on their calorie goals. I have all kinds of good food with an exception of one can of pop once in awhile and im always way over a target. I dont get it...lol

Wizardry!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How is it on peoples food diary they have candy bars, pkgd processed foods, all kinds of junk and they make it under or on their calorie goals. I have all kinds of good food with an exception of one can of pop once in awhile and im always way over a target. I dont get it...lol

I can totally relate!! Somehow I managed to lose weight and I ate a low calorie diet. I ate alot of packaged stuff though...
    Since then I have been maintaining and really started cleaning up my diet. I eat so much healthier now!! Really. However, I find that I eat more now than when I was eating crap!! It is now tough to eat less, even if I wanted too.
    And yet I find that I enjoy the healthier food much better than the crappy food. I discovered I really LOVE chicken!! It tastes really good!! So does real turkey, not the lunch meat kind!! Carrots are good. Soup is good when it is homemade rather from a can.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me it's baby steps. I couldn't go straight to skipping all of the foods I love... so I portion it out and eat less while slowly finding healthy alternatives that work for me. I cannot eat soy protein so I have a hard time finding "healthy" foods to take on the go. I am working toward a lifestyle change, not a punishment (which is what some diets have felt like). And I will have an occasional bad meal or drink... just keeps me from going off the rails completely.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people are doing? I would rather see someone eat normally and maintain their weight the healthy way than someone eating the bare minimum just to hit some perfect number and then go back to normal eating and gain. Healthy way to me is majority of the time you make great choices and then you have times to enjoy a sinful treat like chocolate, etc. Im not gonna count calories and stress out over food all my life.

Nothing wrong with "junk" food if portioned right. I eat 95% fresh foods and 5% what you called junk. Not only am I losing weight but I am getting an improved body composition.

Everyone is unique so focus on you and stop fretting on everyone's diary choices.
  • KimiMills
    KimiMills Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about them, its your body and how you feel when you eat great food. Think about their teeth and bones in a few years!!!!
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight management it is simply a matter of calorie balance/deficit/surplus. Depending on if you're maintaining/loosing/gaining. These calories can come from anywhere, including candy. Body composition and health are a different discussion.

I promise you the person eating 1200 calories of only junk does not feel as good as the person eating 1200 well balanced calories.

This. Cals in vs Cals out.

The macros for body comp.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Healthy choices, Portion Control, Moderation, and Exercise is all that you need. Don't worry about others do. Everyone has their own program and what works for them. :D
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Your issue, I think, comes from the thinking that "eat healthy food = lose weight". I know so many (overweight) people who have that mentality.

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I've just had a single malt whisky and a high sugar cereal bar. Gonna have some crisps or something in a moment. :bigsmile:

Try the WGATAM approach: Who Gives A Toss About Macros <--- watch me lose friends.

Of course, I don't promote eating unhealthily but I'm trying to get you to understand the difference between healthy eating and eating to lose weight.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have what some people would call "junk" (like a piece of chocolate, some ice cream, etc)... but when I eat it now, I have literally only a piece of chocolate, or a serving of ice cream (i measure!). Perhaps the people you are looking at are similar? Or, it could be that they pre-plan for them and eat around it.
    This is what I do. Take yesterday for example. I knew we were going to the pub, what they had there with no spices and planned for it, plus dessert. I exercised accordingly. Everyone is different. I am now eating one piece of chocolate rather than 2 candy bars every night. Three scoops of ice cream and not a pint of ice cream each night. I plan ahead for it. Exercise if I need to compensate to have it.
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnnnddd.... Cal cycling! ;)
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Not to be rude, but why does it matter to you? Whatever they are eating is their journey. Just enjoy your healthy eating and keep it up. They will learn in time either through heart attacks, high cholesterol or diabetes or whatever aliment that eating junk all day is not healthy. Even if one does lose weight. Just keep doing what you are doing and let them do whatever they are doing.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Not to be rude, but why does it matter to you? Whatever they are eating is their journey. Just enjoy your healthy eating and keep it up. They will learn in time either through heart attacks, high cholesterol or diabetes or whatever aliment that eating junk all day is not healthy. Even if one does lose weight. Just keep doing what you are doing and let them do whatever they are doing.

Aw, and we got another assumer.

Just because a person eats junk, does mean that they are not healthy and are addled with aliments that are going to kill them.

Plenty of perfectly healthy and fit people die for no reason all the time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You just stick with the good food you are eating. People who continue to eat garbage, just less garbage, WILL gain any loss back... trust that.

Not so

Its not the best thing to eat lots of junk --- teeth rot, blood sugars waver. But I'm losing weight nicely, my blood sugar is fine, and I allow myself to have some good junk as long as I stay within my calorie limit. I walk every day, and eat around 1700 calories- that may include chocolate, or sugar laden coffee yogurt. I just eat less than I used to and log it carefully. I am now the lowest weight I have been in 30 years - and have been steadily losing since April - works ok for me.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Aw, and we got another assumer.

Just because a person eats junk, does mean that they are not healthy and are addled with aliments that are going to kill them.

Plenty of perfectly healthy and fit people die for no reason all the time.

Ha ha ha love that you assumed that I assumed. I was just saying that it could happen. What you eat now could affect you 10 years from now. Eat all the junk ya want. It may or may not do something to your health down the line. My point was I don't get why people worry what others are eating. Let people eat what they want and worry about your own journey. That is all I was trying to say. :smile: :drinker:

And never said I don't love me some junk food, because I do. I just eat it in moderation.
  • LaConteuse
    LaConteuse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I currently have 1200 calories per day... I try to burn at least 500 calories a day, because I like to have a little treat now and then. I do not touch fried food, though... since starting this journey in August and eating better, the taste of it is disgusting to me. I do occasionally like a piece of chocolate, and I do keep Fiber One brownies as well as Skinny Cow ice cream bars in the house for moments when I NEED something sweet. It truly is about moderation and knowing what foods contain what calories. My recent fun thing to do is to "healthify" recipes I find... it is amazing how much fat and calories you can save just by making easy switches with foods. Don't bother comparing yourself to others... it will only make you crazy! :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I :heart: junk. Sue me.

Normally, I start the day trying to hit my protein target (the only macro I REALLY care about). Once I hit close to 100 grams, the rest of my day tends to be a free for all. Pasta, candy, you name it! If I want it, I will eat it.

I am dealing with binge eating disorder. I WILL have the foods I want in moderation. So much easier and better than binging! If that really bothers you, then I just suggest you don't friend request me.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    This is why I stay out of other people's diaries!

To me, reading other people's food diaries is a bit like paparazzi trawling through garbage bins. You think you want to know what's in there but the experience can leave you feeling let down, puzzled, and feeling a little dirty.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    I am plus sized and have a higher calorie goal, and can fit these foods in if I really want to.

But I also find that this site is helping me shave off calories a bit at a time. This will be quite useful when I lose more than 18 pounds and my calorie goal is lower.

I remember eating breakfasts of less than 500 calories 2 days in a row. The ones with more fiber helped me feel full longer.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    And my diary is not open to the public or even my friends for that reason.