62 pounds gone...But did you have to EXERCISE????

Options

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    But generally speaking, you don't have to exercise much to lose weight if you keep your diet strict. I view exercising as beneficial for fitness and health but not necessarily for weight loss.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    BehindBlueEyes, I completely know where you are coming from. I too have gotten the "lucky" comment before and it irritates me to no end.

The conversation usually goes something like this:

"Wow, you must be really lucky to have gotten so skinny!"

Then I just tell them the facts of how I've done it. Calories in = calories out. I avoid junk food, eat tons of fruits and veggies with real protein and track everything I eat. I also make exercise a priority.

99% of the time folks will usually get this sour look on their face as they are processing in their head. Then they will tell me they don't have time, they have kids, excuse excuse excuse blah blah blah.

Then the conversation ends.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Exactly what I was told too! "Oh, I'm way too busy for that". Because we aren't busy ourselves
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does

I had someone just today tell me I was lucky that I'm young because the weight just melts off me. If only she knew how hard it is for me to say no to ice cream and cake and pasta and cheese she wouldn't be saying I am lucky. I given up those old foods and moved on to new, more fulfilling foods. I've dedicated myself to this weight loss and I am continuing to make over my lifestyle. The only people that don't want to hear about the hard work are the people who can't or won't dedicate themselves to it. I love the support of my MFPers and other like-minded people because they get it!
  • jestersvk
    Options
    I was one of those people too. I mean I would have done ANYTHING to loose weight BUT exercise (or eat less.... or drink less sodas... :D). But this is a matter of mind over body... and after all that time I don't even consider anything I have done as hard work... I never have said (and I hope I will never say) "Oh my it was such a hard and long journey I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it again." Of course I don't but the point I'm trying to make is that you have to find some exercise which is fun and enjoyable for you and it will never feel like hard work, even if you completely "destroy" yourself...
    Right now I'm actually feeling sorry for people who always complain about their weight but never do anything, like my father, who always uses the "I'm too old" excuse or my brother, who isn't overweight but is complaining about his gut for the past 2 years, but never does anything. And after seeing what I achieved in just one year he starts making excuses like he doesn't like sports or he doesn't really mind...
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad when I hear people talk like this......Yes, there will be some effort, yes you will sweat, yes you will be short of breath......for a little while. Then the rest of your day takes on a whole new shine! I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I can exercise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, or I can be on an anti-depressant. It makes that much of a difference for me! Plus I have greater flexibility, mobility, I feel rejuvenated and de-stressed! Just keep on shining girl and let the new you do the advertising! You don't have to win them over. Sooner or later they are going to be desperate for the fresh beginning that you have!

this is it, right here!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad when I hear people talk like this......Yes, there will be some effort, yes you will sweat, yes you will be short of breath......for a little while. Then the rest of your day takes on a whole new shine! I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I can exercise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, or I can be on an anti-depressant. It makes that much of a difference for me! Plus I have greater flexibility, mobility, I feel rejuvenated and de-stressed! Just keep on shining girl and let the new you do the advertising! You don't have to win them over. Sooner or later they are going to be desperate for the fresh beginning that you have!

i totally agree...who needs paxill when you have an elliptical..the people that give you looks about exercise just dont know what they are missing!!! keep up the good work!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This used to be me. I've lost weight 3 times (a few years after each pregnancy) without ever formally exercising. The truth is I did start moving more each time but I didn't count that. I hated the idea of regular exercise. Sometimes someone would get out for a walk or drag me half heartedly into a gym, but overall I was mentally resistent. I had no concept of skinny fat or skinny fit or body composition. So I was fine and happy with it. It can be done. Weight loss itself IS related to diet. I was even able to maintain it. I happily tell people that. This time something clicked, and yes, it is a mental thing. I decided to include exercise. Exercise has a lot of benefits and I'm happy that my mind is open to it. Some things I do now for fun and other things I do for results. But either way, I'm not in the nails on chalkboard when you mention exercise camp anymore. Everyone is at a different place in their journey.

Psst...looking back I did exercise each time. I just got a pedometer and challenged myself to move more. Don't tell anyone. Ahh, the trickery I used to fool myself. Having said that, I will still tell you if you create a deficit with your diet, you will lose weight.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm a shop owner in a small town and everyone is noticing how much better I look. When I tell them I've lost 62 pounds, they inevitably ask "How did you do it?" I explain that I changed my eating habits, counted calories on MFP, did Herbalife shakes and vitamins.

Then they ask "But did you have to exercise?" They get a disdainful look on their faces as if they would rather eat nails for dinner or take multiple colonics or fast; anything but exercise! It's remarkable how many times people have said this to me. I always say "Yes, I had to exercise, but I enjoy it now," but they smile and turn away as if the subject of exercise has ended their interest in weight loss. Has anyone else who has lost weight encountered this? Doesn't it seem that people are naive to believe there is a way of losing weight without effort?

Good for you that people notice. Congratulations on your success and keep up the good work! Amazing how people just want the magic pill answer when it really comes down to calories (eat less) and exercise (move more) and it really is that simple, and that hard. :)

Awesome for you!
  • rsellersCST
    rsellersCST Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes... I've experienced much of what you all talk about as well... I find it somewhat laughable when people ask because like someone said about hoping for a magic pill... it's truly as if they are disappointed that the answer really is nutrition and fitness.

I think where the hang up comes in... people are consumed with how they look, and don't think about how they FEEL because they can't imagine feeling good about exercising. There was a time I dreaded it too, but now if I miss a walk, or a workout... that's when I get grumpy LOL! I think until someone actually experiences feeling GOOD from exercising... feels their ability increase, maybe it's hard for them to even fathom "liking" it?

I actually have a friend right now that wants to get together to discuss in more detail what I'm "doing" in order to achieve this success... and I really don't think it's a secret at all... the real secret is commitment. If you do only nutrition, your progress will happen, probably slower... but it can happen. If you do only exercise... well... for someone like me, I could easily out eat my progress... and it doesn't feel really good. Finding that perfect balance... that's also a rather personal experience. I like exercising but I don't think I'll ever be to the level I know some people because that would push it too far for me... I like eating healthy, but I also have a bit of a balance there as well.

I think the commentary is what makes a place like this SOOOOOOOOO important to the journey, people who truly understand, support and can encourage.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I frequently hear this these days. There are several camps of people:

1. How did you do it? My answer is by modifying my diet--eating healthy, portion control, and exercise. This results in two responses:
    A. Oh, really? Bummer, I'm looking for a "program", ie, a magic pill
    B. Really? Cool, that sounds easy! What did you do for exercise? This usually leads to a decent conversation.
    2. Do you workout A LOT. Said in a tone of voice that indicates that this is a highly controversial, bad, potentially dangerous thing. Then the excuses (that I didn't ask for) start:
    A. I can't work out. I have bad knees, feet, back...insert whatever joint or health problem that would likely improve or resolve with weight loss here.
    B. I don't have time/energy/schedule to to this. Like I have a super secret special 26 hour day I'm running on that provides the extra time I need for exercise. Either that, or my life is so boring I don't have anything else I'd rather do.
    C. I don't have the money for a gym, treadmill, etc...because we all need a gym to exercise.

For all of these people, I smile and shrug. I don't sweat it; they all have to figure it out on their own, and maybe I've given them something to think about or try.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I always get asked are you exercising? Duh yes I love it can't live without it now. People always give me the same excuse.....Oh well I am too busy I work full time.......yeah and sooo.......I do too and I fit it in everyday....
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does

I had someone just today tell me I was lucky that I'm young because the weight just melts off me. If only she knew how hard it is for me to say no to ice cream and cake and pasta and cheese she wouldn't be saying I am lucky. I given up those old foods and moved on to new, more fulfilling foods. I've dedicated myself to this weight loss and I am continuing to make over my lifestyle. The only people that don't want to hear about the hard work are the people who can't or won't dedicate themselves to it. I love the support of my MFPers and other like-minded people because they get it!

It just blows my mind!! My sister told me the other day that I'm "lucky" to have a thyroid problem because soon I'm getting on synthetic thyroid replacement and it should help me lose a bit quicker. I was flabergasted. I told her, true, I may, but only losing 5lbs in 4 weeks of hard 6-day a week work outs and eating great, no pasta or bread is nothing compared to what she lost watching cals. I'd trade this thyroid in any day, long as I could get my hair back I've lost from it!

I guess it's all just a case of everyone not understanding. Diet and exercise sounds so daunting and people don't want to try. They want to believe in the quick diet pill they see on tv. Yet seem to forget 99% of the time those diets pills get recalled, sued or flat out proven wrong. You couldn't pay me to try some of those
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I frequently hear this these days. There are several camps of people:

1. How did you do it? My answer is by modifying my diet--eating healthy, portion control, and exercise. This results in two responses:
    A. Oh, really? Bummer, I'm looking for a "program", ie, a magic pill
    B. Really? Cool, that sounds easy! What did you do for exercise? This usually leads to a decent conversation.
    2. Do you workout A LOT. Said in a tone of voice that indicates that this is a highly controversial, bad, potentially dangerous thing. Then the excuses (that I didn't ask for) start:
    A. I can't work out. I have bad knees, feet, back...insert whatever joint or health problem that would likely improve or resolve with weight loss here.
    B. I don't have time/energy/schedule to to this. Like I have a super secret special 26 hour day I'm running on that provides the extra time I need for exercise. Either that, or my life is so boring I don't have anything else I'd rather do.
    C. I don't have the money for a gym, treadmill, etc...because we all need a gym to exercise.

For all of these people, I smile and shrug. I don't sweat it; they all have to figure it out on their own, and maybe I've given them something to think about or try.

For the "can't afford a gym" people I always say. Planet Fitness. $10 a month. That's cutting out one meal out a month. And worth it
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The first 4 months of my new life plan I did NO exercise, I was working and didn't want to come home and then leave again so I didn't. I lost about the same as I'm losing now. But the difference is I feel better now. I breath better I have more energy than I used to. So I am by far healthier now than when I wasn't exercising. Reality is they have to learn that on their own, just like you did, just like I did.
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am like you I feel so much better when I exercise
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I love the "I have no $$$ for a gym membership excuse."

I do one hour five nights a week of intense cardio and weight training. I also do not own a gym membership. I rely on at home DVDs and my own personal free weights. I have maybe $150 invested into EVERYTHING and I've been doing this for two years. It comes out to roughly $5 a month.

I also hear the same excuse about food. "Oh it costs too much to eat that healthy."

Are you kidding?!? When I stopped going to the drive through, eating out, and switching to home cooked meals, it SAVED me money.

Good lord...
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    ^^^Exactly!

My fiance and I always buy a head of lettuce to eat with dinner. It costs $2 and lasts us a couple days. We can get 10 chicken breasts for under $10. Just be smart about purchases is all it takes. Don't go for the fancy things, just the whole things. Fruits, veggies, lean meats. It's all we do and we are on a very limited budget
  • wkrd
    wkrd Posts: 45
    Options
    No one wants to hear " I lost it through watching what I eat and exercising", that;s too much trouble. Still looking for that magic pill I guess.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22lbs this year and the over weight women in the office who appear to eat nothing but salad always make throw away comments like '...it's alright for you...' when they see me tucking into cakes/sweets someones bought into work.

'How's It alright for me?' I say, ' I calorie count and exercise 5 days a week', they just look utterly disgusted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!