can't get same calorie count as others

Options
I have been looking at the recipes and for the life of me I cannot seem to get the same calorie count as the person posting. Can someone check this for me

First one

89 calorie chocolate cupcakes, substituting a can of pumpkin for the oil/water/eggs in the cake mix.
I used 1 box of supermoist Devil's Food cake (Betty Crocker), and 1, 29oz can of 100% pure pumpkin (Kroger). I mixed it very well, and made 22 large cup cakes. Baked for 15-18 mins in 350 degree F oven.

second one
75 calorie muffins

Recipe makes about 15 muffins.

1 box of Chocolate chip muffin mix
1 can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
a little cinnamon
a little nutmeg

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What figures are you getting? No calculation s going to be exact, if there's a 15 percent either way I would say that's close!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Your ingrediants at home may be slightly different then their ingrediants. I always do my own calorie counts with my ingrediants
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Enter your own recipe. the other persons may be using fat free, low sodium, sugar free etc etc. Their brands may be different giving a different count. If what you are eating is what you are baking with, then that is what you need to be logging as your own personal recipe for your own use.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    well I looked up in MFP database that the Betty Crocker Super Moist Devils food cake mix mix alone is 260 calories for 1/12th of the box

On the muffin one, every box and bag I checked (I checked all brands and flavors on the shelf, they were all over a 110 calories for one muffin using the mix alone

I really want to make these but I can't seem to come up with the same counts
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    well I looked up in MFP database that the Betty Crocker Super Moist Devils food cake mix mix alone is 260 calories for 1/12th of the box

On the muffin one, every box and bag I checked (I checked all brands and flavors on the shelf, they were all over a 110 calories for one muffin using the mix alone

ok so in going in the database i automatically found one that said dry mix only and accounted for 160calories for that serving, whatever it was. you want to look at the dry mix only count, not the actual prepared count unless you are gonna use the exact items. if u substitute things like low fat milk etc etc the count will change! plus anything in the database that has an asterick (*) by it has been input by users not mfp. i have found all kinds of items entered wrong, hence the is this item right, yes no, edit etc etc. you need to browse through and find the ones that match your own or again..enter each item manually yourself, then enter it into a recipe using YOUR items so you know they are correct. since you seem to want to make these so much, you shouldn't mind adding in a little math work. you just have to make sure the items you are picking to make with your recipe are entered correctly in the database.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    i just did the same exact thing as ur first recipe. one box of the betty crocker dry mix only, whole package, and 29oz can pumpkin. 22 cupcakes i got 85cals 19 carbs 14g protein 35sodium 4g fat35g fiber. All i did was take the extra time make sure the items u had mentioned were correct with the nutrition facts.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    not sure this is going to show up very big - but here goes:

19992875_1706.jpg

super moist deluxe Duncan Hines cake mix is 190 cals each with 12 servings per box = 2280
    can of pumpkin = 200

total is 2280---- divide by 12 and you get 206, BUT, usually you don't get 12 cupcakes - you get 24. 24 NORMAL size cupcakes, not MUFFINS - Muffin tins make JUMBO cupcakes.

24 cupcakes = 103 each. Now, there are some variations on ingredients, so it's possible one brand might be 24 cals lower - but it's close enough I think .

also, people loading the info into MFP don't always load it correctly, you have to use that info with caution..

Good luck!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

The recipe says it makes 22, not 12. Not sure if this affects your numbers or not...
  • schustc
    Options

Just wanted to mention, that 110 for the mix alone isn't terrible - considering if you were adding a can of pumpkin, you're only talking about less than 10 calories per serving that it would add - for 24 servings. Still 120 to 90 is not a huge variance in calories I think.. considering.
  • elijhasmomma
    Options
    for betty crocker chocolate chip muffin mix only whole box and a 29oz can of pure pumpkin mix i got 71cals 13carbs 14g protein 35mg sodium 4g fat 35g fiber..for 15 muffins

you are either not using the correct version of the mixes in the database or are not accounting for the right number of servings.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Kroger - 100% Pure Canned Pumpkin, 1 container (1 4/5 cup (120g) ea.) 175 39 0 7 35 11
    Betty Crocker - Super Moist Cake Mix - Devil's Food - Mix Only, 1 container (1 package (43g) ea.) 1,600 350 15 20 3,600 10
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 1775 389 15 27 3635 21
    Per Serving: 81 18 1 1 165 1

That's what I came up with.....

Overall, 81 calories per cupcake. Total cupcakes = 22.

BTW, you should calculate the cinnamon and nutmeg in. That'll add in more cals.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for showing me how to do it correctly and no I was not aware that some entries in the database were incorrect. I will watch that. I am so happy it all works out. My adult son has Downs Syndrome and he has been begging me for some "Diet Cake" because his diet meant no more cake for him. I was so happy to have found these recipes for him.
  • schustc
    Options
    Thanks everyone for showing me how to do it correctly and no I was not aware that some entries in the database were incorrect. I will watch that. I am so happy it all works out. My adult son has Downs Syndrome and he has been begging me for some "Diet Cake" because his diet meant no more cake for him. I was so happy to have found these recipes for him.

You would be surprised. I try to confirm most new adds before doing so by Googling nutrition info and trying to get from the manufacturer or a reliable site. I bet the 240 was prepared not mix only. People either don't read labels right, or they enter something for their convenience and not necessarily accuracy. Good luck!