am always eating around 3:00...what should i do

Options
Dont know how to not eat junk and if i eat healthy i end up eating not healthy

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you know you need a snack at 3:00, why not just save some calories for then? And then do a little prep work and make some baggies of single serve snacks? Like fruit or veggies or nuts?
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if that's a time you need a snack, just plan for it.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Plan a healthy snack that you look forward to at 3.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No matter how big my breakfast and lunch are, I inevitably need a snack in the afternoon so I'm not starving before dinner. I plan about 200 calories for a snack. It is usually something like fruit and string cheese (or almond), chips and guacamole or a protein bar/shake. There is nothing wrong with having a snack. Just plan for it. I'd suggest making sure to get some carbs, protein and a little fat in your snack to keep you satisfied. :)
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Drink 4 glasses of water before you eat at 0300.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    The answer may be that you are not getting enough protein.

When you have a carbohydrate rich meal or snack your blood sugar will rise. When your blood sugar rises, your pancreas releases insulin in order to lower your blood sugar. When your blood sugar is low again your body sends you a signal to eat again.

Try to get a decent amount of protein during your first meal of the day (around 30g) and try to get a good amount of protein with your lunch.

When you do have a snack make it a carbohydrate + protein snack. So, not crackers, but crackers with cheese, or crackers with peanut butter, or cottage cheese with peaches, etc. You get the idea.

The addition of protein to your carbohydrate meal or snack will moderate the insulin response and will leave you feeling fuller longer. This will lessen the likelihood that you will want to snack too soon.