People that have lost 40 plus pounds

Options
I am just curious, I started at 245 pounds and I have lost 40 Pounds, I have 55 pounds more to lose to be where I am comfortable with my weight since I am short .I walk 30 min a day and do 30 min of Cardio also. I guess my questions is do any of you have alot of loose skin? I am so scared that I will grow a new complex about myself. I am just looking to hear from anyone who has lost alot of weight.

Replies

• cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    I worry about that too, actually. I have lost 43 pounds and have another 35 to go. So far, I have not had any problems with loose skin. I am hoping that if I continue to lose weight at a slow, but steady pace that my skin will continue to shrink in with the rest of my body. A friend of mine who was pregnant said she would rub lotion on her belly every day and it kept her from having stretch marks and allowed her skin to go back to normal. I don't know if it helps for sure, but I figure it can't hurt. :)
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So far none at all. I lost 100+ lbs in about 11 months or so. I did it via calorie deficit combined with a lot of cardio... first walking then running.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a slight amount, esp on my arms, so i am working on toning a lot and it helps, luckily i am only 22 so my skin has decent elasticity...

I suspect this is different for everyone.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Nope. NONE. At all. Firm and tight. I've always been "solid" vs. loose type of fat if that makes any sense. Guess what I"m saying is, everyone is different.

Not sure what you consider "short". I'm 5'4 and my start weight was 10 lbs. less than yours. I still have some fat I want to burn.
    I'm focusing on body recomp vs. "weight loss". I'm eating right up against my TDEE and my training right now is functional Tabatas and heavy lifting. I'd HIGHLY recommend incorporating strength training if you don't already.

Jen
  • tlcmac
    tlcmac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started at the same weight you did and have lost 50 pounds. The only thing I have noticed is some loose skin on my upper arms and neck. I am working on toning the arms and I think the saggy neck is hereditary since all the women on my mom's side have the same neck.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit and have a fair amount of loose skin. My regret is that I didn't incorporate weight training into my exercise routine from the beginning. I'm sure I would still have some loose skin but probably not this much.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i worry about loose skin, I do have some on my lower belly(2 kids 1 c-secton). I feel so much better and will take the loose skin in stride. On my end thought I am married to a man I love who loves every saggy inch of me.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    slow and steady, plus lifting. start lifting. not only will help keep things tight, but it makes you feel more confident and powerful.
  • jvazquez510
    jvazquez510 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5'0 , so thats why i said I am short Thank you so much for your input. I have just gotten serious about My fitness pal and I am glad there is so many positive people and always willing to give advice.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    93 down, 37 to go!
    My upper arms and upper thighs look like shar pei puppies and my boobs start at my belly button! But hey, I'll take it :laugh:

I do at least 60 minutes of exercise 6 days a week (several times a week I do 120+) including walking, yoga, and weights. I'm hopping by the time I have to expose my arms and legs next spring that some of the skin will have spring back, but if not, oh well.

Keep up the good work :drinker:

ETA:
    Height: 5'3
    HW: 270
    CW: 177
    GW: 140
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a bit and have a fair amount of loose skin. My regret is that I didn't incorporate weight training into my exercise routine from the beginning. I'm sure I would still have some loose skin but probably not this much.

^^^This! Make sure to lift weights!! I dropped a lot of weight fast and there is definitely more skin than I'd like but its SLOWLY going away the more I lift!! After all is said and done though, I'd much rather have some extra skin rather than dragging around all the extra unhealthy weight that I was.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lose 50 pounds and I did have a good amount of loose skin at first but it's been getting better! It's been over a year and I see a definite improvement. It also depends on your age. At 36, I may "tighten up" slower than a 20 year old.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, loose skin is better than all that extra weight, imo.

Edit: Oh and yes - weight training helped a lot, I think!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    93 down, 37 to go!
    My upper arms and upper thighs look like shar pei puppies and my boobs start at my belly button! But hey, I'll take it :laugh:

I do at least 60 minutes of exercise 6 days a week (several times a week I do 120+) including walking, yoga, and weights. I'm hopping by the time I have to expose my arms and legs next spring that some of the skin will have spring back, but if not, oh well.

Keep up the good work :drinker:

ETA:
    Height: 5'3
    HW: 270
    CW: 177
    GW: 140

Hahahaha! I thought I was the only one! That is an accurate description of me right now! I've lost about 45 lbs. My clothes are fitting great but underneath is sooo not pretty! However, I haven't execised much or lifted. I started out at 280 and am now 235 and am 5'7" 1/2. I was wondering the same thing, looking at it, it just doesn't seem like it will go away :(.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about it too, but I do lots of strength to lessen it. I'm lost 44 pounds right now and I don't have any loose skin yet... except on my belly, but that's from 2 pregnancies and not exercising after those, not from losing weight.

Do lots of crunches, sit ups, bicep and tricep curls, squats, planks, pushups, dead lifts, etc to tone the skin in areas you don't want to have loose skin.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options

^^^This! Make sure to lift weights!! I dropped a lot of weight fast and there is definitely more skin than I'd like but its SLOWLY going away the more I lift!! After all is said and done though, I'd much rather have some extra skin rather than dragging around all the extra unhealthy weight that I was.

Yeah, I need to lift some weights and do some ab crunching myself. I have the flab under my arms and a little around my stomach. I'm not looking for washboard or perfect abs, just flatten 'em enough not to show it. I've lost 43 pounds since January, and as of now that's my only issue. Hmm...this may be a job for P90X (Weight lifting) AND 10-Minute Trainer (for the abs part, since my nephew still has my P90X Abs DVD).
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I did have some but it's almost gone. It takes time.

I started at 222 myself and had the same concerns. Now I have rock hard abs! :drinker:
  • billcastro123
    billcastro123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 58, finally at a healthy weight, and my wife and family love me and are proud of me. I have decided to embrace me as I am, loose skin and all. I'm trying to tighten some of it with weight and ab workouts, but I am not going to allow myself to obsess over it. I want to fully enjoy the new me!
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I HAVE LOST 60 POUNDS AND I DONT HAVE MUCH LOOSE SKIN HOWEVER I NEED TO BUILD MUSCLE SO I DONT LOOK FLABBY, THINK ABOUT IT THIS WAY IT WORTH IT TO GAIN A LITTLE LOOSE SKIN THEN TO BE OVER WEIGHT TIRED AND HEALTHY.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ADD STRENGTH TRAINING TO YOUR WORKOUTS
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 pounds and so far i don't have much loose skin. I also do a lot of strength training and I do Jillian Michaels dvds for toning so I think that has a lot to do with it. My arms are a little jiggly but nothing else is.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Even though I've had 3 babies and then gained weight not long ago which I'm over half way to my goal now... I don't have any loose skin. I think it all depends on your skin. Just like some women get stretch marks from their pregnancies... I don't have a single stretch mark and I never used any of those so called stretch mark creams. Its all in how elastic your skin is. My mother and sister on the other hand look like they have road maps on their stomachs and legs and have loads of skin hanging.