Vegetarian struggling!

Options
Hi, I'm vegetarian (I don't eat meat, fish or eggs) but I do eat lots of cheese! I'm on day 3 of myfitnesspal and although I'm cutting back on my usual portions etc, I'm still going over my limit calorie wise.

I love bread, pasta, rice, all things carbo and spicy food :(

I need some inspirational low fat recipe ideas for vegetarians, can anybody help? I'm struggling! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know you love your carbs, but I would suggest (from my own, demi veg experience) that cutting down (not eliminating) your refined carbs and upping your protein and fat, eating more nutritient dense vege's should help both in weight loss and calorie goals. feel free to add me to look at my diary, Note, I do eat chicken and fish, but not every day, although some weeks more often than others. :-)
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am veggie too, take a look at my diary if you like. Soup is our friend. Also quinoa. I am not a big carb eater but rice and potatoes are all good in moderation.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why you don't eat eggs as a vegetarian? Just curious, because they provide a lot of protein.

Since you eat cheese, I take it you eat dairy? Greek yogurt is a great source of protein for vegetarians, with less carbs than regular yogurt.

I am going to post a few websites/blogs with vegetarian recipe ideas and basic ideas for meals everyday:

http://iheartvegetables.com/
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://www.peasandcrayons.com/
    http://ohsheglows.com/
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why you don't eat eggs as a vegetarian? Just curious, because they provide a lot of protein.

Since you eat cheese, I take it you eat dairy? Greek yogurt is a great source of protein for vegetarians, with less carbs than regular yogurt.

I am going to post a few websites/blogs with vegetarian recipe ideas and basic ideas for meals everyday:

http://iheartvegetables.com/
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    http://www.peasandcrayons.com/
    http://ohsheglows.com/

^^^ the girl has a point.

eggs man!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate protein powder smoothie with spinach and berries and unsweetened almond milk help up protein intake and reduce carbs.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Whey isolate protein powder smoothie with spinach and berries and unsweetened almond milk help up protein intake and reduce carbs.

I know this may be a dumb question, but does that fill you up, like a meal? I'm just wondering cause I would like to add more protein in the future, but im not sure exactly how to do it best / how many cals they are etc. - sorry.... not trying to hijack.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Go to the local Indian store and get their ready mixed dry batters for things like dosa (Indian crapes) and dal vada (high protrin fluffy fritets) for instance there are high protein vegetarian foods made with rice flour, mong bean flour, chick pea flour, or other flours. Ask the gent behind the counter for help, they are usually vegetarian or have many friends who are and can help.
    If you want to make it at home then soak the mong bean over night or for 6-8 hrs. Add 1cup rice flour to 2cups soaked Mong bean and salt to taste (if you want crispier crapes increase the amount of rice flour to 1.5cups and decrease the Mong bean to 1.5cups).
    It should come to a pancake consistency by adding some water. Spread some batter thinly on an eaven heated griddle, flip and place on plate for serving once crispy.

Also note the chutneys (very filling and vegetarian too) an easy coconut chutney:
    Add One cup shredded coconut thawed (frozen or fresh will give the best taste and nutrition) one green chilly to blender/mixer till fully blended. In a small pan heat a bit of vegitable oil, add black mustard seeds till they spitter, then add fresh curry leafs, dried red chilly, a bit of dried mung bean and dried yellow split pea. Please be carful not to burn, the entire fry will take maybe a couple of min. Then add to the coconut and green chilly mix stir and addsalt to tast.
    You can also make an onion chutney similarly with stir fried onion till translucent and adding some turmeric too.

Also since you like spicy you should search for vegitarian indian recipies. If you don't know what spice they are using search the name online, chances are they used its Hindy name or another indian language.
    When shopping for the ingredients check the Indian grocer first, their prices are usually more reasonable and you may be able to buy in bulk.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    ADD ME!!! I've been a vegi for 25 years and since January 12 I've learnt the errors of my ways

I'm 41 and I'm almost there, down 37lbs (as of today!!!) with 3 left to go but the hardest part is maintanance!!! Been on my journey since January 2012 and I've worked hard at it, just now don't want to slip.

My diary is open to friends......
  • DVille123
    Options
    I'm a veggie, too. My problems are: I'm not getting enough protein, and they tell me I'm not eating enough calories! I have plenty of carbs & fat, but I'm not losing weight. Maybe we can come up with things together???
    My thought about recipes, is to leave out cheese--I eat the soy variety--and drink more water, which is hard for me, and eat more raw veggies. I crave sweets, so I'm trying to figure out how to change that.
    Good luck!
    J
  • delgadodelgado1120
    delgadodelgado1120 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm vegetarian (I don't eat meat, fish or eggs) but I do eat lots of cheese! I'm on day 3 of myfitnesspal and although I'm cutting back on my usual portions etc, I'm still going over my limit calorie wise.

I need some inspirational low fat recipe ideas for vegetarians, can anybody help? I'm struggling! Thanks in advance :)

Hi I'm also vegetarian...I substituted regular pasta for shirataki noodles. They have 3 carbs per serving and between 20-40 calories depending on which variety you buy. They taste great but can be intimidating....I had the ultimate taste tester, my bf, try it and he loved it AND switched to the noodles. You can find them in the tofu section of the grocery store
  • delgadodelgado1120
    Options
    I'm a veggie, too. My problems are: I'm not getting enough protein, and they tell me I'm not eating enough calories! I have plenty of carbs & fat, but I'm not losing weight. Maybe we can come up with things together???
    My thought about recipes, is to leave out cheese--I eat the soy variety--and drink more water, which is hard for me, and eat more raw veggies. I crave sweets, so I'm trying to figure out how to change that.
    Good luck!
    J

Try the vans muffin tops...they have a brownie that's only 50 calories
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and love spicy foods, too. Feel free to add me. One of the things I really have to watch is amounts of cheese. If you use a food scale to weight out an ounce, it is probably less cheese than you'd think if you were just eyeballing it. You can make most things with a fraction of the cheese normally used and still get the flavor with way fewer fat grams and calories. Increase the role of the veggies and reduce cheese and carbs and you will have a much more satisfying meal for fewer calories.
  • nikilis
    Options

Hi I'm also vegetarian...I substituted regular pasta for shirataki noodles. They have 3 carbs per serving and between 20-40 calories depending on which variety you buy. They taste great but can be intimidating....I had the ultimate taste tester, my bf, try it and he loved it AND switched to the noodles. You can find them in the tofu section of the grocery store

thats super cool, I like stuff like that I'll have to check it out :)
  • delgadodelgado1120
    Options

thats super cool, I like stuff like that I'll have to check it out :)

Hi nikilis if umake the boca soy crumbles you can do pasta and meat sauce....I do noodles, sundries roasted tomatoes and veggies. They noodles are good but not a great source of protein, even though its yam and tofu, so u may need to add a protein.
  • csm1021
    csm1021 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years. MFP does open up your eyes to what you are eating and for me why I had been gaining so much weight over the past few years. My diet was too much bread/pasta/pizza and barely any protein.

The websites eating4balance mentioned are good ones for meal ideas. I would also suggest Happy Herbivore, they even have meal plans with recipes that you can buy (not sure how much they are). I have not bought them but I am friends with someone on MFP that has and is losing weight consistently by following their plan.

Since you eat some diary I would suggest String Cheese and Greek Yogurt, I eat these for snacks during the day to stay full... I like to use Fage 0% Greek Yogurt with defrosted frozen fruit (blueberries or strawberries) and a little agave nectar. Its much lower calories then the premixed brands you can buy and a lot less sugar.

Anyone feel free to friend me. I have an open diary and log daily.
  • delgadodelgado1120
    Options
    I put NIKINIS and auto correct changed it lol
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years. MFP does open up your eyes to what you are eating and for me why I had been gaining so much weight over the past few years. My diet was too much bread/pasta/pizza and barely any protein.

The websites eating4balance mentioned are good ones for meal ideas. I would also suggest Happy Herbivore, they even have meal plans with recipes that you can buy (not sure how much they are). I have not bought them but I am friends with someone on MFP that has and is losing weight consistently by following their plan.

Since you eat some diary I would suggest String Cheese and Greek Yogurt, I eat these for snacks during the day to stay full... I like to use Fage 0% Greek Yogurt with defrosted frozen fruit (blueberries or strawberries) and a little agave nectar. Its much lower calories then the premixed brands you can buy and a lot less sugar.

Anyone feel free to friend me. I have an open diary and log daily.

I'm her friend on MFP that uses the Happy Herbivore Meal Plans. The food for the most part is delicious and filling. She also has a website with many recipes on it. Cheese is a tough one to cut back on or completely out of your diet. I found after a few weeks I didn't crave it anymore. Good luck! :happy:

I should add that I only eat the 3 main meals off the meal plan and make my own snacks. The plan is set out at 1200 calories a day and I aim for 1400-1500 and then eat back my exercise calories most days.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 31 years and on MFP for about a year to log my progress and help me stay on track after losing a couple of stone through a break up.
    Have to say, I have never had problems with hunger, usually stick to 1200 ish and love greek yogurt.
    I do love sweets and chocolate, that's when I fail; but generally I am there or thereabouts.
    I do eat quorn products, but very rarely do I eat cheese. Too high in fat.
    Cottage cheese and quark are good.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hmm you're right that the cheese is a struggle :) I once told my husband cardiologist I was a veg and he said ..."hmmm you know why I don't like vegetarians...? You guys eat so much cheese!" I am a vegetarian and get plenty of protein and feel full check out some recipes in the forums there are some great suggestions!
  • nikilis
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 31 years and on MFP for about a year to log my progress and help me stay on track after losing a couple of stone through a break up.
    Have to say, I have never had problems with hunger, usually stick to 1200 ish and love greek yogurt.
    I do love sweets and chocolate, that's when I fail; but generally I am there or thereabouts.
    I do eat quorn products, but very rarely do I eat cheese. Too high in fat.
    Cottage cheese and quark are good.

oooooh! quorn! I'm not in london right now so I miss it!!