Are you close to/at your goal?

Options
hi-ya,

35 yo female from Ottawa. I am battling my last 9 pounds and find it hard to eat less than I am already eating OR excercise more than I am already doing. I'm active 5 days a week, with long walks the other 2 days. I eat about 1500-1700 cals a day (1200 cals plus exercise cals). I have a sweet tooth and generally need to eat A LOT of whatever I am eating to feel full. I suspect I also have a bit of an issue with impulse control ;) Once I even THINK about eating something nasty, it's too late to turn back! When I get chocolate covered almonds at the supermarket, I watch the register and as soon as the casier has put it through, I rip the bag open and start eating, while paying for it :(

Anyway..

I am looking for friends who are in a similar boat. Close or at their goal weight and needing support because we don't necessarily see large amounts of weight coming off. Or those who also have pig out issues ;) Or anyone who logs in religiously and keeps their food diary open.

Add me if that's you!

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am really struggling with my last 15 lbs. I am remaining calm and maintaining the status quo, reminding myself that this isn't a race and I am in no hurry. I expect it will take a year at this rate. And that's ok.

My scale showed me a whole 0,6 lb loss yesterday, my first recorded loss since early September! :drinker:
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat, mine is I've got 9lb to I've come off track altogether and finding it hard to get back on it,

I'm happy with my size but not happy with my weight, so maybe deep down I'm happy???

Hope someone replies with some help to get us back to loosing those last lbs, good luck xx
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Close to goal weight, no issues with impulse control, sticking as close to 1200/day as possible (not eating all exercise calories), diary open.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    it's funny you posted this cuz I was getting ready to start searching groups for people who are on their last 10 or so. That's me! ARGH The first 20 dropped off fairly quickly but now I want to lose like 10 more and feel exactly like you do. I don't want to eat less and I'm exercising about as much as I feel like my body can handle right now..what else can I do??? :devil: :huh: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble:
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am at my goal weight, struggled with the last five pounds. It was very frustrating to not even show a loss from week-to-week. In October, I entered a weight loss elimination challenge. While I didn't have nearly the amount of weight to lose as the other participants, it did spur me to get serious. I decided to try a low carb diet and it really did the trick. Within two weeks I was at my goal weight.

Since hitting my target, I have gone back to a normal, calorie counting diet. I was just trying to find a nice maintenance balance between exercise and consumption. I have not gained any of the weight I lost on the low carb diet back. Surprisingly, I have found that I miss having a low carb diet for strength gains and satiety reasons. So, as of a few days ago, I have returned to a low carb world.

Good luck. Those last pounds to lose can be so slow and frustrating!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Before I started tackling my last 10 lbs I took a break and ate at maintenance for a few weeks. I've read that this helps regulate hormones, which can get messed up if you restrict for long periods of time. It seems to have worked, since once I dropped back down to a deficit I started losing with consistency. I like this approach because I didn't have to further restrict calories or add a ton more exercise.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am 1.8 pounds from my goal thanks to an 8 week challenge that I have been participating in here on MFP. I was 8 pounds from my goal and had pretty much given up until I joined the Fab-N-Fit group in an 8 week challenge. I thought I was eating well, knew I was exercising enough but nothing was happening. The first week into the challenge I dropped 3 pounds, we finished our 5th week yesterday and I have lost 6.2 pounds in 5 weeks. I had already lost 22 pounds and could not get the other 8 pounds to budge. Basically what the 8 week challenge did for me was it taught me that there is more filling nutritional veggies out there than a plate full of Romaine lettuce...and all of these veggies are low calorie. I love veggies I just never took the time to shop for them or prepare them before this challenge. I can still satisfy my sweet tooth but with healthier versions of that ice cream or cake that I love so much.I have learned that I have got to get my water in even if I don't want it and just because I did an hour on the treadmill before work doesn't mean I can't do a little more during or after work.
    So I guess for me is, I changed up my food a little and added in a little more exercise and I make sure and drink my water. It is a bit of a challenge but that is where you have to decide how bad do you want your goal weight??
    Make those calories that you are putting in nutritional for the most part but still have your snacks and chips...add extra steps to your day or a few wall push-ups and you will reach your goal:smile:
  • csm1021
    csm1021 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Funny you post this, I am in the same boat. I met my original goal of losing 47 pounds to be at a BMI of 25 (150 lbs).

Now I'm working to lose another 10... I joined a monthly weightloss group on MFP and lost 4 pounds last month. I think it helped me really stay focused (eating 1200 calories and cleaner food choices).

I am borrowing a book from my mom called 'Eat To Live' by Dr. Fuhrman. Yesterday I made a meal plan for the week and went grocery shopping. Hoping that changing up my food routine might shake things up. The main change for me will be cutting back on diary and eating more veggies.

Trying to lose these last 6 pounds before Christmas (we leave for vacation on 12/26) and then I'll reevaluate my goals.

I have an open diary (vegetarian), anyone feel free to friend me.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a few pounds under my goal. After I hit my goal, I sat on it for a bit and decided that I would like to loose a bit more and focus on shaping up. When I hit my goal, even though I'd been lifting/exercising while loosing, I was still flabby not looking so great undressed or in a swimsuit. I'd like to loose maybe 5-8 more pounds and put a few back on in lean muscle.

It took me oh... two months to loose the last ten pounds. I had to ride out a complete stall in the scale and then started loosing again and am now loosing just fine, about a pound/week which I think is good for where I'm at now.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Before I started tackling my last 10 lbs I took a break and ate at maintenance for a few weeks. I've read that this helps regulate hormones, which can get messed up if you restrict for long periods of time. It seems to have worked, since once I dropped back down to a deficit I started losing with consistency. I like this approach because I didn't have to further restrict calories or add a ton more exercise.

YES. This completely works. I don't think anything gets you going again like a little break.
  • martamierzejewski
    Options
    Thanks for the friend adds and for your tips :)

In my experience watching other people who are at their goal weight, I've noticed this: in order to get to their goal they ate very little, often didn't eat their exercise calories back, or simply exercised A LOT (500 cals a day and more). Once they've reached their goal, they were able to eat more, to maintain it.

I guess it will take some tweaking to get there, but we can do it!! We got THIS far:)
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 1.8 pounds away from my goal weight. I originally set my goal thinking I would not reach it, but expected to be happy if I reduced my waist size to 32" and saw more muscle definition. In that regard, I have reached my goal (and have maintained for over a month) but am now thinking I would like to go another 5 lb below my goal to get rid of some stubborn flab that's still there (I think it's mostly loose skin, but am not sure). That said, my goals are now performance based...reduce my 5K time from just over 21 min to 20-20:30 and to be able to swim a full 1600 meters without rest (can currently do about 500 meters). So, I plan to keep a small calorie deficit for a while longer (another month or so) and to keep working out 4-5 days per week mixing running, swimming, and strength training.

I also struggle with a sweet tooth and difficulties with impulse control. I am able to resist sweets at the grocery store, but if my wife or coworkers have it around, I have a tendency to binge...I can only resist for so long and it's all over if peanut butter cups are around! With Halloween and all the candy my kids got and left over from trick-or-treating, I have had a hard time staying away from it. Fortunately, it hasn't had an effect on my weight, but will if I don't regain control.
  • mickey4u3
    mickey4u3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like sweats too...but I find that after I binge I just want more and I really don't feel very well for a couple of days. Don't think it is worth it, but sometimes due it anyway.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I am getting close, about 6 pounds left. I hope I can keep this off!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    GIRL!! We share the same flippin story. I think that it is harder the closer you get to your goal than your starting point. I was so proud of my accomplishment of going from 150 down to 135 that I felt "Oh I can eat more of what I want now". I am finding it really hard to get down to 125. About 3 weeks ago I finally put myself into high gear. I just started a new plan and workout (blogilates.com) I think that's I what i needed, new motivation and new workout gear...etc.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.. your not alone. We just need to change it up...I have 15 pounds to go. I am happy with me but I carry weight in my belly area. I get compliments all the time but this is about me...I want the belly fat lowered...I wont say gone because who knows...I am definately trying to change it...I like some sugar too but now trying to reach for the graham waffer crackers because time you eat 4 for 120 calories..your sugar craving is gone....you can add me if you like: ) good luck and your not alone.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am at my goal weight, struggled with the last five pounds. It was very frustrating to not even show a loss from week-to-week. In October, I entered a weight loss elimination challenge. While I didn't have nearly the amount of weight to lose as the other participants, it did spur me to get serious. I decided to try a low carb diet and it really did the trick. Within two weeks I was at my goal weight.

Since hitting my target, I have gone back to a normal, calorie counting diet. I was just trying to find a nice maintenance balance between exercise and consumption. I have not gained any of the weight I lost on the low carb diet back. Surprisingly, I have found that I miss having a low carb diet for strength gains and satiety reasons. So, as of a few days ago, I have returned to a low carb world.

Good luck. Those last pounds to lose can be so slow and frustrating!

Do you mind sharing your low carb plan??? :)
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the last few pounds. The last 10 took me about 3 months. I don't know why that is so hard! But then all of a sudden, boom! They fell off plus a few more for grins (I guess that is just for making me wait so long). But now, I am in maintenance and keeping the weight off. I, too, have a sweet tooth and I like my evening beer. So, I am still careful and watch what I eat and exercise. Not to lose, mind you, just to maintain my weight. And it is working!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the friend adds and for your tips :)

In my experience watching other people who are at their goal weight, I've noticed this: in order to get to their goal they ate very little, often didn't eat their exercise calories back, or simply exercised A LOT (500 cals a day and more). Once they've reached their goal, they were able to eat more, to maintain it.

I guess it will take some tweaking to get there, but we can do it!! We got THIS far:)

Not me. I'm below goal and never ate anywhere near 1200 calories. Started at 1650 while burning about 2150, then upped workouts and as a result bumped calories to 1850. Still lost about .8 lbs. per week. A vacation in June and July but was still able to reach my goal by August and kept losing. Have started actually eating about 2300 calories in order to stop losing and it's sorta working (gained .9 lbs this week).

If you are willing to try it, lower carb has always worked for me. I just tried to eat no processed carbs while trying to lose, but still ate fruits and veggies. Also ate fruit on the bottom Greek yogurt, so it wasn't really "no" processed carbs, but no bread, no white rice, no pasta.

Good luck. Feel free to add me. I'm sticking around for a while to see if I can make this maintenance thing work.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I am two pounds away from my goal weight but someone posted a good helpful web site on here that I have used to help me it is The Smarter Science of Slim it has a lot of good recipes that helps to keep your weight down after all of our hard work the last thing we want to do is gain it all back. It is a life style change not just a diet. I have lost and gained weight so many times but this time I am more determined than ever to keep it off. I also utilize youtube and type in green smoothie recipes and it showes you how to make them smoothies have helped me to get my weight off. There is a a recipe I found I want to try with Avacodo's, it is actually chocolate pudding made with avacado. You can type in for that recipe too. I think it is one acacado, unsweet cocanut, vanilla half cup of unsweet cocoa some chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans. You can add a small amount of cocanut milk or almond milk or silk which ever you prefere to make it the consistancy you want, just play with the recipes I do. There is a recipe for black bean brownies to. Just type int he recipe on the youtube site and a lot of nonfat or green recipes will come up to try be creative. The last 15 lbs. were the hardest for me to loose but we can do it if we don't give in or give up. Best wishes on your journey stay healthy. Geni
    hi-ya,

35 yo female from Ottawa. I am battling my last 9 pounds and find it hard to eat less than I am already eating OR excercise more than I am already doing. I'm active 5 days a week, with long walks the other 2 days. I eat about 1500-1700 cals a day (1200 cals plus exercise cals). I have a sweet tooth and generally need to eat A LOT of whatever I am eating to feel full. I suspect I also have a bit of an issue with impulse control ;) Once I even THINK about eating something nasty, it's too late to turn back! When I get chocolate covered almonds at the supermarket, I watch the register and as soon as the casier has put it through, I rip the bag open and start eating, while paying for it :(

Anyway..

I am looking for friends who are in a similar boat. Close or at their goal weight and needing support because we don't necessarily see large amounts of weight coming off. Or those who also have pig out issues ;) Or anyone who logs in religiously and keeps their food diary open.

Add me if that's you!