Help Please!!

Options
So I started my journey on MFP almost two years ago.. Sadly my motivation only lasted the first 6 months.. and I have gained back 13 of the 25 pounds I have lost.. I have chosen now, just before the holidays (Yay me!) to get my but back in gear.. I did a lot of exercising when I first started.. And my problem now is, I am down with a lower back injury.. And have been off work for over 3 months now.. I'm not able to walk, sit, or stand. for any long periods of time.. Any ideas for exercise?!?!?!!?!? I really want to lose this 34 pounds, and possibly more.. But I especially want to reach my goal of 10 pounds by Thanksgiving!! (Any snack or recipe ideas would be great too!)

Thanks everybody!!

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Are you working with a physical therapist? If not, maybe you should request a referral from your care provider. I think they would be the best option to help you with this. Having recovered from my own serious back injury, I'm really surprised you're not already seeing one.

I also think it would be dangerous for any of us to suggest exercises as we are not experts on your specific injury.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, you should consult an expert. As someone who's had back surgery, I can say that you probably will have to put exercise on hold for a while (unless it's approved). For now, I would focus my efforts on creating a deficit through diet.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would say go into a pool as that is the safewst thing for you to do. But yet again, I have to agree with the others and go see your doctor first. I would hate to see you injur yourself further.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk, sit or stand, there's really not much left for us to recommend. Swimming was mentioned and that's a fine option.

But you're going to lose weight based on your diet. Make sure you're in a calorie deficit and losing 10lbs by the December holidays is well within your limits. Exercise is optional
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You do realize that Thanksgiving is less than 4 weeks away? 10lbs is pretty ambitious in such a short time. That said, weight loss is 80-85% nutrition and 15-20% exercise. Keep a good eye on nutrition and you are 80% there! Be patient. 2lbs/ per week is a reasonable goal and the max amount to be considered healthy.
  • Teran0612
    Options
    Thanks everybody.. I am seeing several doctors and go to PT twice a week.... My only Dr restrictions are a weight lifting limit of 20lbs and anything that causes increased sciatic pain. Thanks for all the comments!