sometimes i eat over the daily calorie goal

Options
my calorie goal is 1360 a day, sometimes i go over this by 100 calories or so. A lot of the time i can keep to the goal, by going over on the odd occasion will it affect my weight loss.:drinker:

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't really think so, but if you are worried about going over than increase your exercise. I remember on one occasion I went over and a friend suggested I do some jumping jacks to offset the number. I love simple thinking :)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    my calorie goal is 1360 a day, sometimes i go over this by 100 calories or so. A lot of the time i can keep to the goal, by going over on the odd occasion will it affect my weight loss.:drinker:

not in a significant way. even if you ate over every day for a month by 100 calories, that's still less than 1lb. you can burn 100 calories just by taking a 20 minute walk.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well, are you doing absolutely no exercise? That's a relatively low calorie goal. In any case, you're still in a deficit so basically you'd be losing 1 less pound than predicted each month. Not a huge deal.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I thought that the calories MFP allocates to you is approx 500 cals under your estimated total expenditure, so going 100 cals over shouldn't make you gain, just maybe makes your loss slower if you do this consistently, but you should still lose.
  • jpenningtonuk
    Options
    I can't exercise as such, i can only move one arm and walk with a stick, A stroke 5 years ago put a end to any fitness exercise, but never mind i can still work on my life style change
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi there..... like you I can't exercise much (if at all by others standards).

And I need to eat loads less calories than I did this time last year just to stay at the same weight. To loose weight I need to be eating what many others would think was too low. They really don't understand how little I move now!

I believe that my break -even point is 1550 cals a day - at that I neither gain or loose.

MFP suggested 1200 for me to loose weight, which equates to about 1lb every 10 -14 days or so - and that is roughly what has happened. Thankfully my appetite has reduced - it's just the habit of eating a greater amount that I had to break!

Like you I have the odd day where I eat over, but provided I don't go over 1550 then I'm still burning more cals than consuming - which means although I may slow my loss by a day (and I'm in no hurry) I won't actually be gaining. In fact even if I have a day at 1650 and the next at 1450 then over the two days I will still have not gained - just maintained my weight.

However I have tended to be much more careful with my eating since I have become unable to exercise. I no longer have the fall back of "walking it off" and I am very aware that a regular 100 above my daily expenditure would cause me to gain rather quickly.....

I think in our situation we need to be quite careful. I'll send you a friend request. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

not in a significant way. even if you ate over every day for a month by 100 calories, that's still less than 1lb. you can burn 100 calories just by taking a 20 minute walk.

THIS^^^

if you do the math, you have to go 100 calories over your allowance 35 or 36 times to gain a pound.

if you only go over your calories once or twice a week, I don't know that it will make a difference that you can see.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    100 calories over your calorie goal is probably still well under the amount of calories you burn each day. If you told MFP you want to lose 1 lb a week, it will have given you a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day. If you go over your goal by 100, your deficit for that day will be 400 calories. So, you will still be eating less than you burn (even without exercise) and you should still lose weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    However I have tended to be much more careful with my eating since I have become unable to exercise. I no longer have the fall back of "walking it off" and I am very aware that a regular 100 above my daily expenditure would cause me to gain rather quickly.....
    OP is talking about 100 over his daily calorie goal though, that's not the same as his daily energy expenditure. MFP gives you a goal with a built in deficit, so there should be some wiggle-room.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    /
    OP is talking about 100 over his daily calorie goal though, that's not the same as his daily energy expenditure. MFP gives you a goal with a built in deficit, so there should be some wiggle-room.

Indeed - but for those of us who can't exercise, cal goal and total cals expended may not be very far apart..... the top part of my post is quite in agreement with the effects of going over goal provided it is under total expended..... ;)
  • Westbury84
    Westbury84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not at all, the goal is positive progress not daily dilema, which all of us have. I like to review my weekly summary report for my average calorie summary for the week, and then I adjust for the following week or month depending on how food crazy, i had been. I recently was at a cupcake party, and I would be lieing if I said I didnt eat any cupcakes. I ate 3, but a year ago I sure I would have execeed that number by double over a 4 hour period.
  • jpenningtonuk
    Options
    thank you all for your comments in reassuring me that it isn't a disaster if i fall off the wagon and over do the calories by 100 or so and also advising me that i would have to go over 100 calories 35 times to gain a pound. :drinker: