meal spacing?

Options
Hello everyone :)
just wondering if there is an optimal spacing between meals for weight loss. Right now I am doing about (not always the same) 9 am, 1pm, 5:30 pm for meals. I also have 2 snacks a day and wondering when would be the best times to fit those in? I know it sounds silly, but not sure if there is proper spacing for best weight loss. Does eating at the same time everyday help too?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would base this on personal preference. Physiologically the differences are negligible.
  • Jester522
    Options
    I would base this on personal preference. Physiologically the differences are negligible.

Agreed. I doesn't matter. Just be consistent with meal times to keep grehlin at bay. And give yourself a few hours between final meal and bed.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Agreed. I doesn't matter. Just be consistent with meal times to keep grehlin at bay. And give yourself a few hours between final meal and bed.

Just curious, why are you recommending a delay between feeding and bed? If it doesn't cause discomfort then it's also a non issue but that varies from person to person. Ill eat right up until bedtime.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    Great, thank you both :)
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    I was actually wondering if I should be eating a snack between dinner and bed. I don't go to bed until 11pm most nights!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I was actually wondering if I should be eating a snack between dinner and bed. I don't go to bed until 11pm most nights!

Once again, personal preference. As long as your total calories and macros are being met, you can eat as late as you want. Obviously if this causes you any sleep issues or digestive problems you would stop this behavior but that's individual. In terms of change in fat storage/oxidation it won't make any damn difference.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    good to know - thanks for your help!
  • andriadean7171
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry and stop eating when you're no longer hungry. if you do this, your body should really do all the spacing for you.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's really what works for you. I don't have a 'hunger' mechanism. It's either I'm not hungry or I get a headache, my stomach burns, dizziness, nausea (generally one or two symptoms) because I've waited too long. So I eat try to eat 5 times a day and spread my calories out. it usually works out to every 3 hours.

It really has cut down on my 'bored' eating that I used to do between meals.
  • rickerred12
    Options
    I like to eat every 2-3 hours, it keeps me feeling full. But as stated above personal preference.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I remain skeptical that it matters at all. I just ... don't think it does. I hear so many people say you need to eat breakfast because it starts your metabolism , and you need to eat 6 small meals and blah blah blah. I just don't see how it makes any difference whether you eat all your calories in 6 small meals, or 2 big meals. I *personally* eat when I'm hungry. I usually tend to be hungrier in the morning and afternoon. I eat breakfast and usually 2 snacks and then lunch all before noon. After that I might have one more snack before dinner which I usually eat around 6.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference it weight loss, its just what you prefer.

I prefer the standard breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No snacks in between unless I truly need it, which is rarely. My breakfast is typically at 10, lunch at 3, and dinner at 7.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to just eat when you're hungry...