What Book Are You Reading?

Options

Replies

• maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.

Since when does popular science attempt to disprove God, ever?

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).

I think what he means is when some scientists go too far in their stance on non-provable theory versus empirical science. I may be wrong....

Theories are always technically just speculation in everyday language, but in science, have been tested again and again that they sustain enough evidence (fact) to become (and remain) theories.

So "non-provable theory" doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to harp. I was raised in a household of science. I get offended when people go, "Oh scientists!! Peh!! They hate God, are stupid (for their stupid Ph.Ds) and don't believe in Intelligent Design) and ya ya."

Theory, in science, is something - a set of facts so well established researched and tested- that explains the phenomena of the world and in nature. Theories (ie, Relativity, Gravity) are used to formulate new theories and mathematical equations.

ID isn't a theory.

Nor is it empirical data. That's the stuff that academia uses...stats, more or less.

I get ruffled with language sometimes. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

ANYWAY! Slaughterhouse-Five was much better than Cat's Cradle.

Sorry, you're absolutely right.. I shouldn't have used "non-provable" (the problem with writing too fast and not thinking things out...) What I shouldn't have used "theory" either, but "ideas." I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind.

My mouth is on fire from eating crushed red pepper on my carrots mmmmmmmmm oooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! !

Well I don't want to go round and round but in science, what is not provable is, I guess, an idea, and what is provable is a theory because theories have been tested and tested again. Science isn't truth.

ID is not a theory, nor is it really science, because it's not testable, but it can make for pretty poetry.

anny
    wayyy

Theory in English language is idea, speculation, etc. It's different in science. So when people say, "Well evolution is just a THEORY," it gives the wrong impression.

Re: Chaos. Science is order, not chaos, and if you want, we can get into physics because by "chaos" I assume you mean the discovery that the universe is expanding?

Re: Mud. That actually becomes the basis of half the book. He he.

Re: Holocaust. Yes, definitely an appetite suppresant. :s

HOLY MOLY I NEED WATER!!

*sigh*

I am so torn about commenting on this....I wish I just hadn't even put down that I was reading it.

*takes deep breath*

It's so hard not to get drawn into a debate when you feel so strongly about these things.

I guess, what I should say is, no, I'm not a stupid redneck that can't appreciate science for what it is.

No, I'm not saying that all scientists are opposed to Intelligent Design, or the prospect of one.

No, I'm not so hardheaded and close minded to forego science in favor of myth.

Yes, I do appreciate hard facts.

*Ok, I just wrote a huge paragraph concerning my thoughts and feelings on this, but you know, my love for this community outweights my desire to be 'right'. So in the interests of keeping this thread on track, let me just say, yes, I am an old world Intelligent Design proponet. I apologize if my choice of words wasn't what you wanted to hear. I didn't feel that semantics were all that important given the topic was , 'What book are you reading'. I told what I was reading and gave a recommendation to those who might share an interest in it. I didn't tell that to subtley insert a religous debate. So without further ado, allow the thread on books continue. I'm out.*

-J

Okay.

Would you like a carrot stick?

:heart:

It isn't that it wasn't what I wanted to hear. You could believe in the Tooth Fairy (though I'd find you to be a bit...well...strange).

Maybe I get ruffled by your offhand comment as much as you'd get ruffled as someone saying, "What a redneck idiot for believing in God!"

I could have said, "I'm reading 'Giving' by Bill Clinton, who talks about how those lazy selfish terrible Republicans ruin everything and starve poor children in Africa!!"

(well that's not how he puts it, but you know what I mean)

Anyway my whole point of this was to point out that science only seeks to understand the physical world around us. It's about knowledge. Scientists aren't even truth-seekers. Science is not about God.

That's another brach of academia called philosophy.

I don't want to argue, either, but I'm definitely the oddball out by being younger, Jewish, and clearly not in support of, say, the war in Iraq or something.

And I don't eat my exercise calories. :sad: :sad: :sad:

PS It wasn't a religious debate. It was a science discussion. :P :P
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    I am reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It is my favorite book of ALL TIMES and i read it 2 times per year.

total favorite!!

Have you noticed how authors are writing "spinoffs" of old classics? There's one on huck fin about his dad, and a bronte adventure, I believe.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Does People Magazine count????? :laugh:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    'A Storm of Swords' by George R.R. Martin. (If you like Fantasy, you HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES (A game of Thrones is the first in the series, DO IT!!!)

'God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?' By John Lennox, a book which desects popular sciences attempts to disprove God with equally disprovable theories (Not specifically evolution, though Intelligent Design is a big part of it). It's a pretty awesome book, and not overly technical.

Since when does popular science attempt to disprove God, ever?

Science doesn't exist to disprove God; science exists to explain what man knows (and thus explore wha the does not know).

I think what he means is when some scientists go too far in their stance on non-provable theory versus empirical science. I may be wrong....

Theories are always technically just speculation in everyday language, but in science, have been tested again and again that they sustain enough evidence (fact) to become (and remain) theories.

So "non-provable theory" doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to harp. I was raised in a household of science. I get offended when people go, "Oh scientists!! Peh!! They hate God, are stupid (for their stupid Ph.Ds) and don't believe in Intelligent Design) and ya ya."

Theory, in science, is something - a set of facts so well established researched and tested- that explains the phenomena of the world and in nature. Theories (ie, Relativity, Gravity) are used to formulate new theories and mathematical equations.

ID isn't a theory.

Nor is it empirical data. That's the stuff that academia uses...stats, more or less.

ANYWAY! Slaughterhouse-Five was much better than Cat's Cradle.

Sorry, you're absolutely right.. I shouldn't have used "non-provable" (the problem with writing too fast and not thinking things out...) What I shouldn't have used "theory" either, but "ideas." I think the most important thing is to keep an open mind.

My mouth is on fire from eating crushed red pepper on my carrots mmmmmmmmm oooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! !

Well I don't want to go round and round but in science, what is not provable is, I guess, an idea, and what is provable is a theory because theories have been tested and tested again. Science isn't truth.

ID is not a theory, nor is it really science, because it's not testable, but it can make for pretty poetry.

anny
    wayyy

Theory in English language is idea, speculation, etc. It's different in science. So when people say, "Well evolution is just a THEORY," it gives the wrong impression.

Re: Chaos. Science is order, not chaos, and if you want, we can get into physics because by "chaos" I assume you mean the discovery that the universe is expanding?

Re: Mud. That actually becomes the basis of half the book. He he.

Re: Holocaust. Yes, definitely an appetite suppresant. :s

HOLY MOLY I NEED WATER!!

*sigh*

I am so torn about commenting on this....I wish I just hadn't even put down that I was reading it.

*takes deep breath*

It's so hard not to get drawn into a debate when you feel so strongly about these things.

I guess, what I should say is, no, I'm not a stupid redneck that can't appreciate science for what it is.

No, I'm not saying that all scientists are opposed to Intelligent Design, or the prospect of one.

No, I'm not so hardheaded and close minded to forego science in favor of myth.

Yes, I do appreciate hard facts.

*Ok, I just wrote a huge paragraph concerning my thoughts and feelings on this, but you know, my love for this community outweights my desire to be 'right'. So in the interests of keeping this thread on track, let me just say, yes, I am an old world Intelligent Design proponet. I apologize if my choice of words wasn't what you wanted to hear. I didn't feel that semantics were all that important given the topic was , 'What book are you reading'. I told what I was reading and gave a recommendation to those who might share an interest in it. I didn't tell that to subtley insert a religous debate. So without further ado, allow the thread on books continue. I'm out.*

-J

Don't be out. This is great. We were commenting on books we like, and that's what you did. I love a good debate. And I define a good debate, one where no one is demeaned for the idea they are promoting. And as long as we keep it there, we're good. so, Sgt, maybe we should start a new thread :laugh: :laugh: I like your ideas. I like ideas, period
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I JUST fininshed reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.... it was a good read

I watched the video of him giving this speech and I cried like a baby! lol.

SO GOOD!!!! hit youtube if you haven't seen it! it's morbidly labeled dying professor's last lecture or something creepily similar
  • beep
    Options
    :laugh:
    Does People Magazine count????? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (i read it in the check-out line...):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but it's done too fast
  • beep
    Options
    a book called The 5 Love Languages- easy to read, hard to put down, and yes, it's a book about relationships. it's actually a pretty insightful look into human behavior inside close intimate relationships, such as husband and wife, although the author does touch on relationships between parents and children too. i highly recommend picking up a copy. and then reading it.

Love that book. It was a real eye opener. My husband is a doer and I am a giver, and it was truly astounding to me that he truly means it when he says he would rather I do something for him than buy him a gift!!!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. A murder mystery set around Puget Sound, at the time of World War II, and has some history of the interning of the Japanese people in it.

My question is How many of you use your local library to find books you want to read? And how many rather buy a book? I live rather rurally, so when I go into town I hit the library and if there is a book I really want to read I ask for an inter-library loan. I guess now you can download books too can't you. I have never tried that. Has anyone done it? If so how is it ? What kind of software do you need also. But I can' t imagine giving up my books for an online version of one.

One of my favorite books ever.

Also fav's: The Kite Runner, The Alienist, A Thousand Splendid Suns
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    eat pray love

just finished italy now we are starting india
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    kite runner was great!

the movie was a surprisingly good adaptation as well.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    a book called The 5 Love Languages- easy to read, hard to put down, and yes, it's a book about relationships. it's actually a pretty insightful look into human behavior inside close intimate relationships, such as husband and wife, although the author does touch on relationships between parents and children too. i highly recommend picking up a copy. and then reading it.

I was just given this book from my church! I haven't read it yet, looks good
  • jacbac
    jacbac Posts: 12
    Options
    God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo
    Romantic love story - very very good!

60929.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • beep
    Options
    I have to admit, I like to insert a brain twinkie in my reading ever so often. The Clive Cussler books are definitely adventure brain twinkies, but I loved them. Thanks for all the GREAT ideas. i'm making a list.
  • beep
    Options

:laugh: By "empirical" science I meant this: (which I'm sure you already know, as you are a very smart cookie :wink: and fun to talk to)

empirical
    Adjective
    derived from experiment, experience, and observation rather than from theory or logic:(Dictionary.com)

There are empirical sciences, and there are sciences that are not empirical. i.e. astrophysics is an empirical science versus social sciences (but even that is being debated at this point)

We probably should start a different thread on this, because it's fun to talk about and is really off the subject of what we're reading this summer.
  • maverickyanda
    Options

:laugh: By "empirical" science I meant this: (which I'm sure you already know, as you are a very smart cookie :wink: and fun to talk to)

empirical
    Adjective
    derived from experiment, experience, and observation rather than from theory or logic:(Dictionary.com)

There are empirical sciences, and there are sciences that are not empirical. i.e. astrophysics is an empirical science versus social sciences (but even that is being debated at this point)

We probably should start a different thread on this, because it's fun to talk about and is really off the subject of what we're reading this summer.

Okay! (to a new thread)

I just hold that ID Isn't scienitific theory because it doesn't follow the laws of scientific practice in terms of what is and isn't theory.

And I still think that "empirical" does not allow for theology debates IF ID only hits one of two basic requirements for empirical science: one, that natural phenomenon and two: that it must be testable and verifiable.

:PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

he he he

:heart: :heart:
  • beep
    Options

empirical
    Adjective

Okay! (to a new thread)

I just hold that ID Isn't scienitific theory because it doesn't follow the laws of scientific practice in terms of what is and isn't theory.

And I still think that "empirical" does not allow for theology debates IF ID only hits one of two basic requirements for empirical science: one, that natural phenomenon and two: that it must be testable and verifiable.

:PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

he he he

:heart: :heart:

Now I get what you're saying. I needed to read all the posts more carefully. I wasn't relating that to ID (in fact this menopausal older woman didn't even get the ID being intelligent design -- I glossed over that thinking "identification" lol) You're right, of course, theology is not science, nor is it empirical. It is the Words (logos) of Theos (God). Sorry to be so ...... slow?
  • maverickyanda
    Options
    You're not slow. This young whippersnapper is just obsessive.

He he he.

:yawn:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    I have several books in the works that I am reading.... I have a book in each room, one in my truck for when I'm stuck in traffic... and one at work that I read on breaks :laugh: I'm a total bookworm character0187.gif

Anywho.... here is the list of what I am currently reading...

Women Who Love Too Much- Robin Norwood
    Terry Brooks- Sword of Shannara
    Stephen King- Lisey's Story

Books that I have lined up to read after those are....

The Secret- Rhonda Byrne
    Duma Key- Stephen King
    Richard Bachman's- Blaze
    Terry Brooks- The Heritage of Shannara
    Genesis of Shannara
    Armageddon's Children

And there are a couple of other's that I have written down in my notebook at work that people have recommended to me but I don't recall what they are.
  • beep
    Options
    I have several books in the works that I am reading.... I have a book in each room, one in my truck for when I'm stuck in traffic... and one at work that I read on breaks :laugh: I'm a total bookworm character0187.gif

Anywho.... here is the list of what I am currently reading...

Women Who Love Too Much- Robin Norwood
    Terry Brooks- Sword of Shannara
    Stephen King- Lisey's Story

Books that I have lined up to read after those are....

The Secret- Rhonda Byrne
    Duma Key- Stephen King
    Richard Bachman's- Blaze
    Terry Brooks- The Heritage of Shannara
    Genesis of Shannara
    Armageddon's Children

And there are a couple of other's that I have written down in my notebook at work that people have recommended to me but I don't recall what they are.

I read the Shannara books years ago, but found them to be so similar to the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, I wondered if they were plagerized. I enjoyed them, but enjoyed Lord of the Rings more.

I know what you mean about books all over, I usually read three or four at a time, but am down to reading the Secret Garden to my daughter right now.
  • RunningRatty
    RunningRatty Posts: 161
    Options
    Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer

Third in the Twilight series

LOVE ALL these books