Need advice from people who travel for work.

Options
I recently started traveling for work. It can be up to 50% of my time. It is usually 3 days at a time, mid week.

I have been slipping when I travel, as if it is an excuse to eat whatever I want while I am out of town.

My time is usually very fast paced and I am usually dependent on someone else for transportation once I get to my destination and don't feel right asking someone to stop by a grocery store so I can get special foods.

Working out is not an issue, I usually have access to a fitness center. It's the food I am having trouble with. I loose my will power at the resturants.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Ask your travel coordinator to book you in a room that has a kitchen. It might cost more, but you can easily pay the difference with your per diem if you are not spending money going out to eat. You can have groceries delivered for a nominal fee, prepare simple meals and snacks in your room, and pack your lunches.

I've stayed at places like Residence Inn, and Hyatt House where kitchens have stove, convection oven, refrigerator. Limited cooking tools, but usually enough to prepare simple things.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's a learning curve. I spend 3 days a week driving, and it's knowing what will fit into my day. Sadly, it's more difficult when you don't have control over where you are going. but learn some basics, like some fast food options, and then some "standard" places like Applebees, and you can kind of work your day around it. It's not easy, and my eating is FAR from perfect overall. It's just doing the best you can with what you are given.
  • Buffy2point0
    Buffy2point0 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I never thought of having groceries delivered. Thanks for the advice!
  • Buffy2point0
    Options
    Your right. I need to really pay attention to the lighter side menus.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What I've done when I don't drive myself (where I cook and pack everything for the entire week and bring it with me), is try to find packaged food for two of three meals and make decent choices for the other meal. I brought tuna, crackers, cereal or oatmeal, protein bars, apples, etc in my luggage. I had some success at a Walgreens within walking distance of where I was to buy yogurts, soup, frozen meals, fruit, etc.

If anything, get what you want for lunch or dinner and pack up half for another meal later.

Its REALLY hard, and I ended up blowing it at least one day every week, but overall did ok.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Can you get a taxi, bus or walk to a grocery store? Also, enlist the help of the hotel staff. They'll be most happy to help a guest with special requests and I'm sure they hear those requests all the time. If you cant get a room with a fridge, use a soft side, medium sized cooler as one of your carry ons and use the ice machine for yogurts or anything that needs to be kept cool.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I find that a huge thing that goes with me travelling is getting enough water (and sleep), and without those, I get fat and not doing as well. I make a real effort to stay hydrated and get enough rest, and then the food doesn't make me feel like I have to clutch at it to be full or to 'get enough' or anything. maybe that will help you too. Good luck. Maybe drink some water before a meal so you already feel somewhat full before you start--
  • Buffy2point0
    Options
    Great idea with the cooler! Thanks!
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't travel now but used to. First, no one can is in control of your choices but you. So you need to take control of your will power when you're at restaurants and out to eat. I'd take half a day when at home and do some extensive homework on the best choices for each type of cuisine. I'd write things down in a small notebook and bring it with me.

Choose whole grain over white and wheat. Choose sweet potatoes and brown rice option over white rice, pasta and white potatoes. Make sure your plate consists of half greens/veggies, a fourth lean protein and a fourth fibrous carb if you include them. Sprinkle healthy fats like olive oil, nuts or avocados in the meal. Or enjoy a nice salad with a balsamic vinaigrette on the side and only eat about 2 tbsp on the salad. But be choosy what's on the salad. Avoid croutons. Choose veggies, lean protein, good fats.

For breakfast have an egg white omelet or egg whites with turkey bacon and fresh fruit. Oatmeal with some peanut butter or milk and fruit. Any good protein, good carb with a little fat so you'll stay full.

Bring some nutrition bars with you. Pack a snack bag with almonds. Pack some dark (70+%) chocolate squares and have one or two if you get a sweet tooth. This way you'll avoid dessert.
  • TheTortoiseWins
    TheTortoiseWins Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm running into this now. If your hotel has the standard continental breakfast, pick a few meals that you like and rotate between them. E.g., cereal with banana one morning (most hotels have at least one healthier cereal on offer), english muffin with 2 hard boiled eggs the next, oatmeal the next. A lot of hotels also have the fruit bowl or basket out- take a couple of pieces with you to snack on during the day.

I find that if I have a good breakfast, I can eat a smaller portion at lunch when I don't have a choice in the food. Then, I have my apple or banana mid-afternoon, and still feel full during the day.

Good luck!
  • deedee303z
    Options
    When you cannot avoid eating out, I find it very helpful to check out the nutritional info of the prospective restaurants online before leaving. It's amazing how some of the dishes that seem "lighter" and "healthier" are actually the worse choices, whereas some that seem like they would be a bad choice are actually pretty healthy. For example, a lot of times the preparation of various seafood dishes makes them them some of the worst choices in the menu, whereas a small grilled steak with veg on the side will be one of the better choices.
  • Buffy2point0
    Options
    I have tried taking half my dinner home. I just have to stop from eating it when I get back to my room! LOL
  • WaltSeher
    Options
    When I used to do over night runs in my truck I used to pack little tupperware containers of protein powder mixed with powdered milk. With a shaker cup and a bottle of water..tada!
  • Dr_sparky
    Dr_sparky Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is hard, and I haven't completely worked it out myself yet... so thanks everybody for their comments so far... I think I've sussed breakfast, lunch and dinner (just about) by planning what I'm going to eat before I go down to the restaurant when I'm not hungry, but my real stumbling block is the free cakes at breaktimes at conferences...just because they are free doesn't make them free of calories... and I think the key to sucess will be building my will power and asking myself if I really want to put on weight because of one little muffin. My husband and I even try to do self catering on holiday now... but too much weight on the first time he took me to the states to meet his family. Staying with relatives was fine, it was when we went on little trips and stayed in hotels. I hope you find what works for you.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I traveled for 15 years and at first I though yippee, steak everyday! After I packed 20+ on my tiny frame and looked 6 months preggers. Drinking with the sales guys every night didn't help. I finally started bringing food with me. Fruit and veggies. Started eating chicken and fish and avoided carbs.
  • Buffy2point0
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, the drinking sure doesn't help. I don't even drink at all when I am home.
  • greatsmile71
    greatsmile71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some food for thought: (pun intended, of course)

Tunafish packets (tear open easily and rich in protein. can pack easily, too)
    raw almonds (pack easily, good for snacks)
    instant grits in a packet (pack easy, filling, can cook in room with microwave)
    keep some solid cheese in the minifridge. filling and great for evening snack

those are just ideas. Im sure you probably get to eat your main meals out.

good luck!
  • jackihf3
    jackihf3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I travel weekly and it is never easy. I make my own trail mix. I can snack on it, put it on oatmeal or a salad. I change it up each week so it doesn't get boring.
    I always grab a couple of pieces of fruit from the hotel if they have a bowl sitting out in the breakfast area for a snack later.
    I travel with a couple of favorite teas to satisfy my late night comfort food yearnings.
    Refuse bread when dining out.and sub salads or broth based soups for potatoes as a side.
    Drink water before eating. It fills you up.
    I find "non-American" restaurants tend to offer more food options for healthy eating. I love Mexican food. Corn tortillas, some pico, a little guacamole. lettuce and tomatoes are great. Middle eastern restaurants have a ton of vegetarian options.
    Staying hydrated and getting a good night's rest help. Good luck!!! See you on the road :)
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    a bag of nuts in your purse
    carry protein bars. Not as good as powder, but still a good option.
    protein powder and a shaker cup in your suitcase. You can grab skim milk from the breakfast area or just use water.
    Take a couple extra pieces of fruit from the breakfast area for later.
    If you know where you will be eating, you can go to Foursquare from your phone browser and decide what you will order in advance, before hunger takes away your willpower.