OMG I'm hungry......................what would you do?

Options
So I've been trying to keep my cal count each day under 2000 regardless of how much exercise I get in. I try to do protein each time I eat but I am extra hungry today and trying to not blow my count out of the water.

If this was you what would you do?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If I had 2000 calories a day to eat I would go on an extreme binge and eat everything I can find. My budget is 1350 so 2000 sounds like heaven.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'd eat some yogurt and chug some water.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If I had 2000 calories a day to eat I would go on an extreme binge and eat everything I can find. My budget is 1350 so 2000 sounds like heaven.
    agreed lol
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Just eat,you're legs won't fall off or anything so I think you should be ok
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i get the job done with 1500 and sometimes I eat back my exercise calories. I would eat an apple and peanut butter around 300 calories and totally fills me up, drink water, your diary doesn't it track it. Most people aren't drinking enough water, sometimes you're thirsty and not hungry. If I want to eat when I'm not hungry I use this trick and drink a tumbler of water and use my teeth whitening strips, 45 minutes I can't eat or drink. If I'm still hungry when they are done I eat a snack. down side is I sure have white teeth. :)
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i just posted a topic on hot tea and how it is satisfying when i feel small pangs of hunger.

other than that..popcorn is relatively low calorie and you can eat a big bowl.

broth based soups are also relatively low cal and filling.

sounds like you're already drinking a lot of water, which is good.

good luck!
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'd eat whatever I wanted! 2000 sounds like heaven after having a target of 1200. But that aside, Have an egg. Eggs fill me up, stay with me a long time, have protein, and are only 70 cal a piece. I find if I start my day with an egg or two the rest of the day is easier.

I also agree with the yogurt and water post. Oh and find something to do that takes your mind off food. We are programed to eat when we are bored. What do (did) you always do when you and friends couldn't think of something to do? Eat.

Good luck. You'll make it.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are truly hungry, then eat, just keep it reasonable. Drink a couple glasses of water and eat a huge salad with some protein. Lots of greens with 3-4 oz of protein and 1 T of dressing isn't going to add that much in terms of calories.
  • fuzzni
    fuzzni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd drink a large glass of water! If that don't work, I try and go to for a nap! Still not working? Then eat a smal low fat snack, fruit or sweet or savoury, then drink more water! So far, the distractions seem to work :) Good luck
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on mfp? if you just started it will take your body a little time to adjust to the new eating habits. If it tells you to eat 2700 calories then eat them as you lose weight your requirements will go down as will the size of your appetite. This is not a lose weight fast plan so sarving yourself is not going to help it will just make you discouraged. Eat more veggies, salads, and things like oatmeal they will keep you feeling fuller longer. great job on your water by the way. If you would like to ad me as a freind hit me up.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and chew some gum. Then if you are still really hungry after 20 minutes, have something nutritious that you really want to eat then if you are still hungry after 20 minutes, drink some more water, but in the meanwhile find something to keep you busy that doesn't involve food. Even just searching on the computer can help the time go by faster than you might think.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you like pickles, they are my go-to nearly no calorie nosh. Almost any veggie is great, and healthy.

But really, what do your consumption numbers over a week look like. I'm sure you stay well within your targets and can spare to go over on a day. I just looked at your intake for a week. You're fine if you satisfy your hunger sensibly. You have to look at the bigger picture. Not just one day.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    You could have a glass of water as dehydration can often be mistaken for hunger. Eat a piece of fruit such as a Satsuma too, or a few nuts.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just looked through 10 days of your food diary. Your calories are ok and you will lose weight but the quality of food will probably leave you hungry which for some (ME!) leads to not sticking to my calories because I'm starving!

Some tips:

You are going through some major sugar swings. Lots of sugared cereals for breakfast which will cause a crash a couple of hours later and lots of hunger.

You are eating some protein at each meal which is good but not enough. Up your protein to 4 ounces a meal (4 ounces of beef, chicken, turkey, etc.) It won't increase your calories by too much but will help to keep you satisfied.

Consider more dense carbs to help you stay satisfied. Things like whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, veggies (fresh or frozen), fruit (fresh or frozen.)

You can do this! You are on your way. Just tweaking your diet some should help you stay satieted.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Just eat,you're legs won't fall off or anything so I think you should be ok
  • DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eat a small bag of cut-up carrots.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you still have 800 calories left for today, so no need to panic. It would be helpful if you calculated your TDEE, BMR etc to see what your calorie goal should be. It is possible that you need to hit 2000 calories for your current weight and level of activity and that may be why you are hungry. The most obvious answer is "if you are hungry, EAT".

If you really want your weight loss goals to be successful you, should begin by picking a reasonable calorie deficit. I notice that on many days you were hundreds of calories below 2000 calories and also quite a bit below your protein goals. You can do that for a few days but over many days or weeks of eating significantly under your calorie needs, that hunger signal will kick in, as you are experiencing now. My immediate suggestion would be to add more lean protein to your diet.

And remember, you do not need to fall significantly under your calorie goals to slowly and consistently lose weight, so it might help to start with those calculations and work from there.
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    The best way to manage this is to eat non macro nutrient dense food. For example, to get the same calories from Oatmeal as from a chocolate bar you would have to eat a very filling amount of oats, but you may be left hungry if you ate the chocolate. Simply choose foods that are filling relative to their caloric or nutrient numbers.

Here are a few of My favourites:

- Brown Rice
    - Oatmeal
    - Tuna
    - Lean Ham

Hope it helps!
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i get the job done with 1500 and sometimes I eat back my exercise calories. I would eat an apple and peanut butter around 300 calories and totally fills me up, drink water, your diary doesn't it track it. Most people aren't drinking enough water, sometimes you're thirsty and not hungry. If I want to eat when I'm not hungry I use this trick and drink a tumbler of water and use my teeth whitening strips, 45 minutes I can't eat or drink. If I'm still hungry when they are done I eat a snack. down side is I sure have white teeth. :)

I've also heard that about drinking water. One thing I do is flavor my water with naturally with different fruits and a lot of lemons. It has helped me a ton with curbing my appetite. Also, there are these pop chips that are 120 calories for 23 of them and they come in many flavors. For me it is getting quantity for my calories, so I always look for these types of snacks. And eating things slowly too is helpful Not to say i don't have my "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse" days....lol.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I usually drink about 8-10 glasses of water a day