hot tea

Options
i find myself turning to a hot cup of tea lately when i feel a little hungry. it's great considering that we are turning over into late fall & winter here on the east coast, USA. i try to drink teas where i don't even need sugar.

current faves:

peppermint tea, any variety really. i have "carrington" right now because it was on sale :)
hibiscus pineapple lychee, this is from the republic of tea.

anyone have any other bold tea suggestions that taste fine just on their own? or, if you sweeten your tea, what do you use? i have a bottle of agave nectar, but i find myself using so much of it just to get the sweet i want that i end up pouring out 100+ calories. through the master cleanse, i found that maple syrup can be an interesting sweetener. (not the ms. butterworth's crap. grade b organic is nice.)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a dark chocolate chai tea I really like and I enjoy Rooibos teas. I don't add any sweeteners so it needs to taste good on it's own!
  • ffffaaatttt
    ffffaaatttt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love chamomile tea. I usually do a bag of chamomile and a bag of chai black and green tea together. I use one tablet of stevia sweet leaf sweetener. No calories, it says one tab is the equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar, but I usually use 2 teaspoons of sugar, and only one tab. Also sometimes I put a bit of milk into it. Now I want to try the pineapple tea you mentioned. lol
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    ooh, dark chocolate chai sounds nice. i'll keep a look out for that. y'know..when i'm able to get gas and travel further than 1 mile, lol!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't drink sweet tea, and I prefer loose leaf. I have a steeping mug that I bought at Cost Plus World Market and it is perfect. A friend of mine gifted me a Russian Tea that is black currant and strawberry. The taste of strawberry is so subtle.

I also like Asian teas and Chai is to die for. I don't put milk in my Chai, but it is good that way too.
  • EAVA
    EAVA Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    fresh lemon balm from my garden:drinker: and Oolong tea,
    or fresh ginger lemon tea (1 teaspoon raw ginger with lemon and sometime raw honey) and
    if I am hungry any black tea with lots of milk no sugar (Tetley, Red Rose, Earl Gray)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Try this

boil 1.5 cup of water
    Add some milk. When water starts boiling, add a half tea spoon of regular black tea. Add sugar too if you like.

Keep boiling for about 2 more minutes.

You're welcome
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like Taylor's of Harrogate's Scottish Breakfast tea and their Yorkshire Earl Grey. I can't remember what the teas were that my girlfriend bought at Teavana, but it's pretty awesome too. I'll see if I can find the names.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Green teas are awesome .. I only drink loose leaf so I have to hunt for loose leaf teas that are worthy. LOL Twinings and Taso teas are perfect in my opinion.

Particular health benefits of Green tea is it increases your metabolism and aids in weight loss! (of course .. putting sugar in it might negate that) there are many interesting green teas blends out there that are wonderful without the need for sweeteners - you'll have to do a little research or try out local asian restaurants that serve the tea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    ooh, dark chocolate chai sounds nice. i'll keep a look out for that. y'know..when i'm able to get gas and travel further than 1 mile, lol!

It's just a Tetley tea in one of those little round containers. Should be in most grocery stores. I didn't think the spicey Chai with chocolate would be a good combo but I really like it. Replaces my craving for hot chocolate on a cold day.
  • sheis1025
    Options
    I like cinnamon leaf tea! I also use stevia or a little milk. I so want to try the pineapple tea!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    my favorite tea is from trader joe's Vanilla and Cinnamon Black Tea..This tea is like liquid dessert!!!

It is seasonal (horrid discovery 2 winters ago when I was forced to go to 9 different stores and get everything off their shelves! Last year I ordered a case--and bought some as well) It should be coming out in the stores about now--I only have 4 boxes left!

If you like it sweet you can add a teensy bit of agave or some milk! DELISH!!!!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i drink chocolate mint tea or pomegrante green tea....both are good. but i still use a packet of splenda
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If I sweeten tea, I only use honey. I don't like anything else. But I have found this tea from traditional medicinals, Throat Coat, that has a beautiful sweetness to it without adding any sweeteners. I am currently in love with this particular tea.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I get loose-leaf and tea bags and my current favorite right now is the Republic of Tea's hot apple cider... I get to enjoy apple cider without the sugar and calories! And I always have Earl Grey for my breakfast tea or when I'm hungry but don't want to eat. I like to put lots of soy milk in it.
    I used to drink Bigelow's Vanilla Chai which is another one of my favorites that is super yummy and awesome for Winter.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like ginger and lemon tea but much prefer to have typhoo with milk and sugar! I never really fancy any other sort of tea much must try some more to see if I like them!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea regulrly to help curb my appetite/cravings, I like the Stash green tea chai, also the Celestial Seasonings honey vanilla chai. I don't usually use any sweetener in either of those, but sometimes if I want the tea more as a treat I will put in some fat free caramel or vanilla liquid creamer.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of black / green tea on a daily basis. some days nearly 10 cups I would imagine. If I do sweeten I use Honey. And one of my favorites is Sleepytime / Nighty Night tea before bed. As for particular flavors of tea? I'm a fan of green tea w/ lemon. Adventurous, I know.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You can order loose leaf tea online from David's Tea (www.davidstea.com). Right now I'm hooked on their toasted marshmallow tea (black tea, cinnamon cloves, mini marshmallow bits, allspice) :)
    Oh, and edited to say, I don't use anything to sweeten my tea. Any of the loose leaf teas I've tried from David's are already tasty enough on their own!
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    trader joes mint melange tea & tazo zen tea & twillings irish breakfast! are some delicious teas imo :)
  • paigeslims
    Options
    I have green tea, I didn't think much of it at first but now I like it a lot. Plus it's good for you ! :)