About to start running...

Options
Just ordered a sports bra
pair of decent running shoes
2x pair of pants
training t-shirt

I already have a watch with a bit that goes in your shoe and tells you have far you have gone etc (need to make a little pouch for it though)

So.... Wednesday morning - I am Off On A Run

Please tell me I wont look fat, stupid, ugly and horrid

that i wont be laughed at by people going to work

that it will make me feel healthier and better

that I wil enjoy it... lol

Replies

• head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Don't turn it into a military operation ... and don't acre about people ... just have fun. Running is fun and it DOES make one healthier. You're heart will love you for it :)
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    no one will make fun of you.....you will not look stupid.....you will look way more awesome walking/running or even skipping like a little kid than sitting on the couch. Get out there and enjoy moving :flowerforyou:

edited for spelling......
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :flowerforyou: I'm not sure if you've run before, but if not - just take it slow, don't overdo it, and don't be discouraged if it seems hard. It is hard at first, but after a few weeks, my fitness had improved vastly, so it is definitely worth persevering!

You won't look fat, stupid, ugly OR horrid! Most people won't care, won't even notice you, and those that do - most of them will be either silently encouraging you, or wishing they could do the same. Read this: http://flintland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    I can't tell you that you'll not look fat. Or stupid. Or ugly and horrid.
    I can't tell you that you won't be laughed at by people going to work.
    I can tell you that you'll feel healthier. And better.
    And that you will enjoy it!
    If I were driving by you, on my way to work, I wouldn't see you as fat, ugly, stupid, or horrid.
    I wouldn't laugh at you.
    I'd be admiring you for being out there, I might even yell out "Hey! You! Yeah, you! You go, girl!!" and give some hearty fist-pumps to ya!
    If you get some jerks who toss some negativity your way...bah! Ignore them. Or smile & wave. Don't let anybody/thing stop you!
    Have fun!!!!
  • MDisMe
    Options
    Good for you. No, GREAT for you!
    You WON'T look fat, or stupid, or ugly, or horrid. People won't laugh at you as they are driving to work. They will only wish they were doing the same thing, and that they had the courage and willpower to get out there too. You will probably be nervous, feel uncomfortable, and want to quit at times, but just push through the pain. The next day, you will wake up, sore, but proud. And you will do it again. And everyday you will do it again, and again, increasing your mileage, pushing harder, and burning more calories. You will become agitated on the days you CAN'T go for a run. You will reward yourself by buying yourself another pair of shoes, smaller size clothes, and entering your first 5K, or even yet, half-marathon. You will love the new life you have taken on, and you will love yourself more and more each day. Ask me. I started a year ago and can't imagine my life NOT running.

You got this.
  • jooby1972
    jooby1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First time I went running I left it until very dark and ran a bit, walked a bit. Felt like death. Could not believe that it would get easier and felt as if I had had mouse sized lungs imported into my chest. Was sure I would vomit or poo myself (neither happened). It does get lots easier and it sounds as though you are really well organised. It is true what they say about a "runners high". I have never got to the point where I actually enjoy it at the time but I do love the feeling after you have done it. It definately makes everything seem better and slightly more bearable (work stuff, weight stuff, life stuff). Some days it is like magic how quickly my mood can improve after a run. Amazing. Tends to make my weight go up and down -tend to go up the day after a long run and this then evens out over the next few days. Good for you-I hope you have fun! I agree with the previous post-You will not look silly-people in their cars will be wishing they could do it. Yes, before you know it you will be running longer and stronger!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I know I looked fat, ugly and all of those things when I started running lol, I was under no illusion otherwise.
    But the main thing is, I wanted to be a runner, and I am a runner. Taking that first step is the hardest thing to do, but whatever you don't give up.
    Make sure you have a good walk/run programme for beginners to follow, I'd recommend couch to 5k. I always find it easier to follow a plan, but now and again, like tonight, I like to just run and do my own thing.
    Take it slow and you will be amazed how quickly you progress in the upcoming weeks/months :)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Try the Zombies, Run! 5k training program. It starts out really slow, even slower than couch-2-5k, and you get caught up in the story and the 30 minutes flies by.

Good luck, take it slow, and enjoy.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    You'll love it and you'll look great. You will like a dynamic, sportive person that goes after her goals. And when you're done you'll be tired and sweaty and feel a great sense of achievement. You will walk proud and not care about anyone and anything in the world.
  • runnerblues86
    Options
    Running isn't about what you look like but more about how you feel afterward. I made it a goal to do that as part of my program and it is working. I don't always want to do it and I am not going to win any races, but I feel like I win every time I finish. That is more important to me.

Feel free to friend me. I look forward to more supportive friends.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You might look fat, stupid, ugly etc but who really cares? I used to worry about people seeing me running and then I realized 2 things. One, I don't really care what people driving in a car are doing, and two, if I see someone running I think "Way to go, good job" so maybe they're thinking that too!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan.. Me too.. but I hate running... and yet, I do it...

Don't expect to love it.. or even like it... but do expect that if you keep it up, you will get faster, stronger and ultimately feel GREAT!

Like the others have said, start slow so you don' t hurt yourself. Over doing it is the main reason people get hurt. Injury is the main reason people stall and sometimes NEVER get back. Do you have a training plan or program? If not, as organized as you seem to be... GET ONE and stick to it.

For me, I am so into trying to breathe, run and stay alive, I don't notice if anyone is watching, laughing or anything else. I put in my head phones and turn off the world. If the world needs me for it's entertainment, that's cool really. I just try not to die.. really...

I'm not fast. I'm almost always complaining before I go out (to myself only) and many times I hate that it is hard, that it hurts, and that I will never be a speed demon.. but I ALWAYS am grateful that I do get out there and do it..

Nike is onto something.. yep, just do it!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome thank you :)

As for being organised... well my hubby asked me what i wanted for Christmas and I said i wanted the above (I already had the watch)

Now just excited to get out there, i have done a little bit of running in the past, got up to around 5k runs! Which isnt bad! I started doing a basic run/walk programme but actually, i think i am just going to run really slowly and see how i get on the first day, if that doesnt work i will definitely hook up a programme to follow :)
  • madworld1
    Options
    Congrats on your first step toward running! I love running & have a hard time taking a rest day now. Today's my rest day, btw haha. I wanted to add that when I need extra motivation, I use my Jeff Galloway app. because he coaches me through my run. So, if you ever feel like you need an extra push, you might check it out.
  • lesliep107
    lesliep107 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have run 6 marathons. SIX! I am in no way shape or form anywhere near fast AND I look like a complete dork when I run.(I've got the freakin' photos to prove it.) But I have come to love running and am so excited to share that love with anyone and everyone brave enough to strap on some running shoes.

If I might offer some advice... I'm not sure if you've run before. I'm going to assume you haven't.

1) GO SLOW!!!!! I think lots of folks hear the word running, and so they run.. way too fast and then decide this running thing sucks and they quit.

2) It's okay to take walk breaks. Really.

3) Play. Sometimes if I just can't take the Garmin watching and pace tracking, etc, I'll just play...run as fast as I can to the fill-in-the-blank target. Or I'll skip. Or try and go as slowly as humanly possible while still technically "running'.

I truly hope this helps.

See you out there!

• Tisch1985
    Tisch1985 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Who cares what you look like!! I look like crap most day when i go off running!! I don't care. I just enjoy my run and love the fact that i WILL help me lose weight and make me healthy

Ow and i LOVE your ringsling. I also got one and a amazonas wrap( i have no idea what it is called in english)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others will think. You're doing this for you, not anyone else, so what does it matter what they think. Just believe in yourself and do this for you.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.

And welcome to the wonderful world of running.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Thanks again all, I am going to get some funky tunes on my iPod and i think i will really, really enjoy having some ME time away from the boys in the morning

I seem to remember, from running before, that it made life MUCH more fun and easier the rest of the day (after the inital shock of course) And that everything else seemed easier, lighter and more fun :)
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    I'm seriously over-weight and unfit (going up the 2 flights of stairs to my attic leaves my heart pounding and my lungs burning lol), but I used to love running when I was younger and fitter, and I wanna get back into it... I'm starting the couch to 5k this week, so if anyone wants to add me for mutual support, please do x
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Rightie! well my shoes did not arrive yesterday :(

But they did arrive today :D

So we are off for a run this evening i think, when the husband gets back and can look after the boys.

I doubt i will get far, but i will run for half a hour and i will also do a morning run on Friday...

Wish me luck eeek!