Artificial Sugars...Yay or Nay

Options

Replies

• Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few brands of stevia, oddly enough they all taste different. So far my favorite is truvia. As far as you question of Yay or Nay, I say everthing in moderation.:smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think that artificial sugars are a great tool for certain dieters to make things taste sweeter without the calorie density of regular sugar. Given no individual intolerance to the specific sweetener and given that you're staying well under the ADI for that particular product, I see no reason for anyone to avoid outside of their own philosophies on food.

I use both and it depends entirely on what I'm eating, what my daily intake looks like for that particular day, and my mood.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like sugar or maple syrup for sweetening. The aftertaste of artificial sweeteners ruins it for me, and this includes stevia. I'd rather ingest the calories.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Nay is for horses.

oh, nevermind...it's HAY...my bad.

Use what you want...a few packets of Splenda wont kill you
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist is dead set against artificial sweeteners with a vengeance...
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My answer is Nay.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm trying to stay away from additives in general. I would 100% go for real sugar over artificial sweeteners. Not only are they bad for you, but I personally don't like the aftertaste of them anyway. But it's your call, obviously. :)
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Big nay from me. It was invented in a lab. It's not food. No thank you.
    Learn to use a little bit of sugar or none at all.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia, or I'll opt for pure maple syrup, light agave or unrefined soft brown sugar. Honestly I try to use the calorific maple/agave/sugar, but it's as much for flavour and consistency as anything (I do a lot of baking and whatnot) - but it's up to you what you use. I'm not much for all the "manufactured things are bad for you" thing, to be honest, because ANYTHING is bad for you if consumed in excess, and I eat plenty of altered things and am fine. but, each to their own.
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sometimes when i crave something sweet i pour splenda into a cup and eat it. mmmh so delicious, sweet, and barely any calories! helps lose weight thought not exactly healthy. most foods are now ooh this that causes cancer lalala but all **** causes it like 80%of the food, so no big deal for me.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i think you should try a natural alternative like stevia. splenda just came out with an all natural sweetener made from fruit if you wanna try that, they are probably more expensive but you don't have to worry about the extra calories. i personally am not a fan of aspertame or any of that other stuff, tastes funny to me and the fakeness scares me
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just have a little bit of real sugar. 15 extra calories didn't hurt anyone.
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Check out Stevia In The Raw - pretty good stuff!!
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Splenda with added fiber. Beats sugar in my tea.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I load my morning coffee up with aspartame, AND I drink diet soda.

I know, I'm totally going to get testicular cancer. Womp womp.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I load my morning coffee up with aspartame, AND I drink diet soda.

I know, I'm totally going to get testicular cancer. Womp womp.

ya know lea...the further you tuck those back, the less likely it is the cancer will find them.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use an artificial sweetener, go with Stevia. Get away from sucralose (Spenda) and aspartame (Equal).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use an artificial sweetener, go with Stevia. Get away from sucralose (Spenda) and aspartame (Equal).

Why?
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I avoid Splenda like the plague. But I have an intolerance to it and it causes all kinds of problems for me. Because of that, I haven't ventured into using other artificial sweeteners. I use rock sugar for my tea. It's sweet enough that I only need one teaspoon, which is less than what I needed with regular sugar and/or honey.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I think that artificial sugars are a great tool for certain dieters to make things taste sweeter without the calorie density of regular sugar. Given no individual intolerance to the specific sweetener and given that you're staying well under the ADI for that particular product, I see no reason for anyone to avoid outside of their own philosophies on food.

I use both and it depends entirely on what I'm eating, what my daily intake looks like for that particular day, and my mood.

What he said.