plateau

Options
is anyone out there experiencing a weight plateau and if so how do you get over it. i am eating no more than 1200 calories an I do zumba classes 4 tp 5 times a week. help!!:sad:

Replies

• Wazeal
    Wazeal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With all the exercise you do your body is conserving your calories. I would suggest eating 1400 calories one day so you can start releasing more weight.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you should be asking yourself: "is 1200 calories the right amount for you?", or more specifically you should be asking: "what is my real calorie deficit?" and "is this deficit the right amount for someone in my specific situation?" I can't answer these questions (and nobody else can either) without knowing all of your statistics and situation.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    is anyone out there experiencing a weight plateau and if so how do you get over it. i am eating no more than 1200 calories an I do zumba classes 4 tp 5 times a week. help!!:sad:

How long have you had no weight loss? How much have you already lost? Are you eating back exercise calories? If not then you should start. If it's been more than 12 weeks of dieting I suggest taking a full diet break for 10-14 days to restore your hormones. That means eating at maintenance during this time and increasing carbohydrates to AT LEAST 100g per day.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options
    I essentially agree with the two above me. Especially since you said "no MORE than 1200" which means you might be eating less than that sometimes? Definitely up your calorie intake. When you don't eat enough calories, especially if you're doing exercise, it actually lowers your metabolism.

Increasing your calories might be just the thing to get your metabolism jump started and allow you to start losing weight. Good luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    i am eating no more than 1200 calories an I do zumba classes 4 tp 5 times a week.

this is your problem, the thing you are saying "but I do this right!" is all wrong.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    plus, how long have you not lost? what is your current and goal weight?
    what is your height? TDEE?

nobody can give you any answers that fit YOU, just generic lines, until you supply that info...
  • nieceyrenee
    Options
    I think you just have to give your body time...to catch up.. Look how long you have been trying to lose, and now you have dropped weight. So your body is saying what is going on.
    I'd say to boost your metablism..drink one more water than you do. Eat another protein on days you are working out. And one day...you will start losing again!:love:
  • fayebelle512
    Options
    Thanks to all. very good suggestions that I am going to try. a little about me. I am 63 and I started myfitnesspal.com & zumba classes on september 11th and I dropped 15 puonds in 7 & 1/2 weeks. now I am stuck. No, I sometimes don't eat all the 1200 calories and I never use the xtra calories earned from my zumba classes which is app. 500 an hour.. I will try the tips from you all & see what happens. Thanks guys:smile:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have reached a plateau many times along my healthy lifestyle journey. I found if I alternate my calories throughout the week I can finally break my plateau. I mean having 1500 calories several days a wk. and 1200 calories the other days. I agree with the above that your calories are probably too low to overcome the burning of calories that you are doing.
  • fayebelle512
    Options
    Wow, congrats on your remarkable weigh loss. I will certainly take your advise. Thanks so much:smile: