My FIRST 5K!

Options
2»

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You ROCK Michelle! I am so proud of you for sticking with the program and completing your first 5k! Keep up the great work!
  • svgaedtke
    svgaedtke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Way to Go!!!!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!!!! What a great accomplishment. You should feel very proud of yourself!!!!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much! I will DEFINITELY keep going! My goal isn't to win...just to beat my time!
    I appreciate all of your kind words! I will be flying HIGH for quite a while with this!
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I am also doing C25K and then the Hot Chocolate 5K on the 18th. I am training on the elliptical and now feel alot more confident about my first race! Keep up the good work!
  • Coachcritty
    Coachcritty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I used to joke when I was 208 lbs that I would only run under 2 conditions: 1. There was something chasing me 2. There was a line forming at the buffet. I'm down to 155 lbs now and ran my 4th 5K last weekend. My goal is under 30 mins and right now I'm at 33 mins. My first attempt (which was a walk/run) was 38 mins. I have another race coming up on Thanksgiving day and I'm gonna push it!

Best of luck to you on your get fit journey. It's way more fun putting the weight on, but I'm so much prouder of me for taking it off! Keep up the good work!
  • jtotton
    jtotton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up, keep training, keep working on beating your P.R. each time, even with each training run, and before you know it, you will be running a half-marathon! I have a lot of respect for anyone who is willing to get off the couch, and it was once said that it doesn't matter where we start, it is where we finish that is important! For a word of encouragement, I ran my first 5k on April 14. I ran, and finished my first half-marathon on October 21 (two weeks ago). Was my time a world record? Nope, not for either race, not for my age category, but both were records for me! And the sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing a race will give you the encouragement to move forward with the next big race or next big change! Before you know it, you will be able to run the whole thing without stopping once to walk any portion of it! I am starting P90X tomorrow - something I never thought possible, but finishing the race has shown me that I can challenge myself and exceed my expectations - you can too!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Great story! You should be very proud of yourself.. Please ignore the jerk above!

I will never forget my first 5k. I crossed the line and asked if that was the right time cuz there was no way I was that fast. I caught the running bug officially that day. I have run about 7 or 8 more and beat my time every race, I ran my first half marathon 2 weeks ago and have another coming up next weekend, I love running... It's in my blood now and there is nothing that will take those accomplishments away!
  • melegge
    Options
    Great job! Ignore the rude comment above. It doesn't matter how fast you complete a 5k. It just matters that you didn't give up. I just started jogging this year and am still taking 45-47 min to complete a 5k, but I finish. Keep up the good work!!!
  • robdeering
    robdeering Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to say WAY TO GO!!! Completing your first 5k is a huge accomplishment!! It doesn't matter how fast you go, how long it takes to finish, what matters is that you did it and didn't give up. I started with a 7k (should've started with a 5k) and thought I was going to die and debated taking a short cut and giving up. I'm glad I didn't because the most rewarding thing was getting to the finish line and knowing I made it!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! You did it! The first 5k is seriously the best. It's exhilarating! So happy for you that you did this. I know I don't know you, but it makes me happy :). Keep it up!!
  • mjterp
    Options
    I'm looking for my next 5K. My goal is simply to finish and ideally finish with beating my own personal time. (and next time I'm going to make sure to pee before the race starts! LOL)

You all have been so sweet. I have heard real runners are! And thus far, that has been my experience. SO...thank you to all of the SWEET WONDERFUL KIND SUPPORTIVE runners and MFP people out there. You all know who you are! (and those that aren't/can't read or do math...don't deserve the typing time!)
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    One person's walk is another person's jog. We're not all the same, we're all different types of weight/height/fitness level. Please ignore the dudes comment.
    My favourite quotes are
    "no matter how slow you go you're still lapping everyone on the couch"
    "whether its a 7 minute mile or a 14 minute mile its still a mile" (and I like to change it to 20 minute mile sometimes)

You finished and you beat your personal best. That's what matters.
    You're doing it!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! SO glad you did it!!! I'm doing a Warrior Dash this summer & have a lot of training to do but am really excited!!! Keep up the awesome work you're doing!!!!
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great story! Great 5K!
  • cardfanzz
    Options
    Congratulations That was my plan for the summer--to run in my first 5K and do several of them. Somehow, I never got it accomplished. Started out the summer walking and jogging then got "busy" and never seemed to find the time to fit it in. You are an inspiration. Time for me to do it too!
  • mjterp
    Options
    You ROCK Michelle! I am so proud of you for sticking with the program and completing your first 5k! Keep up the great work!

You were my inspiration! I remember YOUR first. It seems so long ago, but it really wasn't. and now YOU are a regular runner!
    THANK YOU for setting the example!
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    You are doing great! Keep up the good work. LOVE your kids. :)
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic story. Proud of you!! Now you are hooked! :) Keep running! Maybe we will see each other in a 5k one day!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!