lazy people at work gripe

Options
ninabaz
ninabaz Posts: 75 Member
Not to toot my own horn but im a hard worker. I work in a nursing home and its more than just wiping *kitten*. Its hard work. I don't understand how some aides can just stand around and look pretty and Think just because they have been there since the dawn of time they don't have to so anything besides take smoke breaks and pawn the work on to you. I have seen this everywhere I have worked. . but don't go saying anything to management because in their eyes your lieing. This is everywhere! And I just don't get it! I was raised to work for what I have. Can someone give me some insite as to why people are like this?

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    They're lazy.
  • ninabaz
    Options
    They're lazy.
    I gathered that. Just don't understand why they can get away with it.
  • ninabaz
    Options
    Oh my favorite is favorite can't cone to work I have my period! Hahahaha last time I checked im sure you have had it for years!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Not to toot my own horn but im a hard worker. I work in a nursing home and its more than just wiping *kitten*. Its hard work. I don't understand how some aides can just stand around and look pretty and Think just because they have been there since the dawn of time they don't have to so anything besides take smoke breaks and pawn the work on to you. I have seen this everywhere I have worked. . but don't go saying anything to management because in their eyes your lieing. This is everywhere! And I just don't get it! I was raised to work for what I have. Can someone give me some insite as to why people are like this?

Do you chart completed tasks? Maybe to your DON you could suggest some way of charting completed tasks (tolieting, bathing, ambulating, etc.) so it becomes obvious who is a slacker.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Nobody's watching them, to see them slack off. So they get away with it. And they keep doing it. That's terrible. I don't know what to tell you, because you posted that if you go to management, they won't believe you. I guess, just keep working and ignore them. If you can.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me your complaint is about older workers. My complaint is about younger workers. I quit my last job because the younger workers had no work ethic. One idiot kept coming in late. I threatened to fire him. The following week he came in late again telling me he was having problems at home. The fool did not understand that he can't take of his home life if he's not making any money. He had a new bride and a new baby. He eventually got fired. Why? For coming in late.

But the older generation can also be blamed. I use to work one and a half hours from home. One winter I left home at 3am to get to work by 6:30. Snow fell all night long and the temperature doped to below zero freezing everything. When I show up to work, there were only 9 of us out of 70 workers. All 9 of us lived out of town. By 5am the highway department called the roads black meaning only emergency vehicles could be out. All 9 of us were unaware of the road conditions. We just wanted to show up to work. Even my boss failed to show up. He never thanked me for coming in to work. I hated that guy!

I think, there just are too many people who have no work ethic or are simply lousy bosses.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me your complaint is about older workers. My complaint is about younger workers. I quit my last job because the younger workers had no work ethic. One idiot kept coming in late. I threatened to fire him. The following week he came in late again telling me he was having problems at home. The fool did not understand that he can't take of his home life if he's not making any money. He had a new bride and a new baby. He eventually got fired. Why? For coming in late.

But the older generation can also be blamed. I use to work one and a half hours from home. One winter I left home at 3am to get to work by 6:30. Snow fell all night long and the temperature doped to below zero freezing everything. When I show up to work, there were only 9 of us out of 70 workers. All 9 of us lived out of town. By 5am the highway department called the roads black meaning only emergency vehicles could be out. All 9 of us were unaware of the road conditions. We just wanted to show up to work. Even my boss failed to show up. He never thanked me for coming in to work. I hated that guy!

I think, there just are too many people who have no work ethic or are simply lousy bosses.

Agree. I think it has nothing to do with age. I've seen people of all ages be lazy. From my experience, the man who was manager before me was completely lazy and did nothing but the owner wouldn't fire him. So he sat there and collected a pay check for 2 years until the owner was finally fed up with him. I guess it comes down to as long as you can get away with doing nothing and still get paid, they aren't going to work any harder.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think some bosses are uncomfortable with confrontation and when there are conscientious workers, they take up the slack and the bosses can keep avoiding.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    I have this big time at my work too. I have gone to managment and the part they are mainly concerned with is if its getting done. If the needed work is done they don't care who does it. I have made peace with it in just knowing at the end of my day I have done eerything within my power to make the clients (I work with people with disabilities) comfortable and fulfilled. If the other girls can sleep at night knowing they slacked and ignored peoples needs then that is on them.

I always get my raise and managment knows I work hard meanwhille women who have worked there 25 yrs have never seen a raise. Your boss knows who is slacking but choses not to do anything about it.

As long as you feel good about the job you are doing thats really all you need. Yes you will get frustrated but eventually will let it go.

BTW I was a CNA for eight years I know its hard work! Kudos for always working hard at work then burning hella calories afterward!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Oh my favorite is favorite can't cone to work I have my period! Hahahaha last time I checked im sure you have had it for years!

I have a legitimate disease, Endometriosis (having a severely painful period is just ONE symptom) that makes it impossible for me to work sometimes. And I'm 27 and have had my period since I was 9, so yeah, I've had it for years too. And Endo is no laughing matter.

I'm not condoning their other behaviors because I still pull my own weight when I'm working, BUT I have had to miss days of work because of my period...
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    People slack because there's no accountability to themselves, management, or the people they service. IMO management is to blame for not periodically checking in with employees and clients. Keep your strong work ethic and it'll take you toward a supervisor/ management position one day. Then you can structure things properly. Otherwise, hope for Undercover Boss.
  • Crazy_Diet_Mom
    Options
    I was complaining about this exact problem at dinner this evening... my husband & I came to the conclusion that as long as I'm dedicated and care about getting things done my coworkers will continue to slack off and let me do the majority of the work. What we didn't solve is how I can change it - because I'm not willing to slack off myself.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    go as high up as you can with management. When i worked at ross I had to track down/contact our district manager (who I had never even met) to file a complaint against the store manager. He ended up quitting without any notice one day too lol.

and where I work now (dispatch center for a security company) I find it really helps to formally complain about someone. Write an email or send a letter to your boss. They can't ignore that. Voicing it can just be tossed aside as gossip but if you put it in writing they have to acknowledge it.