Oh My!

Options
So I just got done tracking my weeked meals.... and I have to say that I am surprised at the results and not surprised at the same time. I went almost 1,000 calories over one day and almost 2,000 another! Does any one else have a problem with calorie intake on the weekends? I should also say I went on a day trip this weekend and ate a lot of fast food and candy, that's how I went so far over. But any ideas on how to make day trips and weekends not a time to splurge on fast food without spending over $10 dollars for a meal? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone, by chance? I use mine to log as I go, for the most part.

Barring that, what about carrying a small notebook? Just to keep a general caloric total?
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A lot of people I would assume are surprised when they start logging and see how much they are actually eating, especially on the weekends. You simply have to be more mindful. Try to order more protein and healthier options at the fast food restaurants for a start. Once you're on here awhile you'll start to learn more and realize the "x" amount of calories really isn't worth it to eat that Big Mac from McDonalds. It definitely is a life transformation!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead! Either decide where you are going to eat knowing what you can eat there or bring your food with you. And like post rock said, log as you go. I'm guessing you didn't find out how far over you were until it was too late.
  • Even just writing down what you are eating helps, because at least you're still thinking about what you're eating
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely planning ahead is the key. Plan your whole day ahead of time based on your schedule. If you don't have the app on your phone, at least get into a notes thing on your phone (I have a super "dumb" phone and have a notes app) and just log simple things. "Apple 60, string cheese 90", etc. and keep track that way so you don't go crazily over when you get home and can't undo it.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You can eat somewhat well at fast food restaurants, but it takes more time and effort to look at calories and all of that. Stay away from the combo meals unless they have salads and diet soda or iced tea...
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can go over on the weekends with family dinners where I lose track. I was up over 2000 yesterday and aim for 1600 normally, so I ended up cutting back today - I'm now at 1200 and I'm getting hungry, but I want to get back to the weight I was on Friday which was a record low.
  • mercrowket
    mercrowket Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that if I'm looking forward to a special food event (let's face it, try as we might, sometimes a burger from our favorite fast food place is a reward, even though we all should know better) so I try to build in a little extra exercise. A trip to the beach? Nothing burns calories like walking in sand. Catching a movie and can't resist the popcorn? Almost every theater has a "Dance, Dance Revolution" game. Just meeting a girlfriend for a kid friendly lunch? Chase those kids around McDonald's play place! Just something I do, but I think it helps.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I log on my smart phone. If you don't have a smart phone you can get an iTouch or an old iPhone or Android and download the MFP app while you are hooked to the internet by wireless. You can get them used for $50 or less.

They work VERY WELL offline. I traveled overseas for more than a month for work this summer and never missed logging a meal.

It is very easy to eat too much - and not just on weekends. If I check where I am I can save calories for a treat I know I'm going to eat or choose not to eat something I was going to (or eat less of it). Last night I knew I was going to have cake, and just saved up calories for it. No sweat.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I have no problem stopping at a grocery and buying my family a rotisserie chicken and veggies/fruit when we're out and about. That's about $10 total for the chicken and produce.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Easy, if fast food is the only option, don't eat fries, don't get cheese. Just a plain hamburger or something like that. You could get a salad. Do this, get a small green salad and a burger, then see if you can get a lemon slice. Squeeze the lemon on the salad instead of using that nasty 10,000 calorie dressing. That should keep you in the ball park and fill ou up.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So I just got done tracking my weeked meals.... and I have to say that I am surprised at the results and not surprised at the same time. I went almost 1,000 calories over one day and almost 2,000 another! Does any one else have a problem with calorie intake on the weekends? I should also say I went on a day trip this weekend and ate a lot of fast food and candy, that's how I went so far over. But any ideas on how to make day trips and weekends not a time to splurge on fast food without spending over $10 dollars for a meal? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you tried packing snacks/lunch with you on these day trips? Or have you researched the restaurants you're going to to find the best nutritional options?
  • Aschive
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! A lot of the times for day trips my boyfriend, his friends. and I will just pick a direction and drive. A lot of the time we have no idea where we will end up or find.