Light Weights

Options
I'm fairly new to exercise and fitness but am wanting to start doing some light weights at home with the use of dumbbells, purely for toning.

Can anyone suggest some good workouts, including how many reps etc I should do?

Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• Fitness_withsarah
    Options
    If you are just starting out light weights are okay ! But to get toning results you need to lift heavier weights you get a better calorie burn and you WON'T bulk up :)

Light weights - aim to fatigue by 15 meaning you could not do another rep ! Do this set 2 - 3 times. Also I always try to do opposing muscle groups (bicep & tricep, chest & back). Also try to aim for 2 strength workouts a week. So do a legs workout one day and then upper body a couple days after :)
  • Fat_Cat_Bride
    Fat_Cat_Bride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the heavier weights and not bulking up, thanks for pointing that out :)
  • Fitness_withsarah
    Options
    Yes! It won't and it's a great workout. Once you get comfortable with weight lifting aim to fatigue between 10 - 12 reps. So that means you would be lifting heavier then your 15 rep sets :)
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about the heavier weights and not bulking up, thanks for pointing that out :)

You won't. Women do not produce enough testosterone to even come close to bulking up.

Lift heavy, you won't regret it.
  • 91Ellen
    91Ellen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its super old, but i love this book! http://www.amazon.com/Definition-Shape-Without-Bulk-Minutes/dp/0446670693

(trust me, you will never look anything like the lady on the cover!! omg)

The idea is to do a pyramid set, 12 reps with 1lb, 10 reps with 2lb, 8 reps with 3lb, 10 reps with 2lb and then 12 reps with 1lb

Its quite fast paced but involves chest presses, bicep curls, squats, shoulder lifts, etc and is great for toning :D
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I recommend searching Butt Bible on youtube. There are 3 levels for upper body, and 3 for lower, so you can progress when you are ready. Altho it is called butt bible they are full body workouts, in 20, 30 or 40 mins. So great if time is an issue ( I do this whe my baby sleeps) all you need are hand weights. Enjoy!