Quitting!

Options
RubyRubixcube
RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
Just wondering what reasons people might have quit their jobs in the past, what was the problem? Did you grit your teeth and push through? What did you tell your boss when you quit? Regrets? Share your story

Replies

• RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Personally I've never quit a job in my life, however I think there's a resignation coming up. I've been pushing through office politics and being singled out & "picked on" for about 2 years now and I'm done with it. Thinking when the time comes (after christmas) I'll tell my boss I dont see any "career growth potential" and THEN I'll tell him his office is screwed up
  • almcculley
    almcculley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have retired from a very high stress job at 54 years. I am home schooling my son, now! Never been happier! Have worked all my life raising 3 sons, 10 years on my own.
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    Usually when I get fed up I quit and take a few people with me. Rhetoric works in my favor.
    Now that I am going to have a Masters soon I see myself being wayyyy more professional.
    The right thing to do is give notice...
  • crzycutie
    Options
    I hate to admit but I have quit a couple of jobs before. I'm not going to lie they were for selfish reasons but for the most part I don't regret it. They only reason why i do is that I know my parents will have a hard time supporting me while I'm unemployed. But i couldn't be happier cause I'm going to be starting school soon so I can focus only on that.

Pretty much I quit my job cause I was just really unhappy, but not just like 'oh man, this job really sucks' no like, to the point where the job was almost giving me anxiety attacks and such. I flat out told my manager that 'do to some things that came up, I can no longer continue to work her *blank* will be my final day' (normally you want to give them a good time in advance because some jobs may have paperwork to fill out or they may need time to replace you if your job is short staffed.)

TLDR: Really the one thing that you have to think of is if your lack of happiness is truly worth the pay check.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I resigned from my job just a few months ago. I found that I was completely burned out and no longer had the passion that my job required. I was tired of the long hours, limited days off and lack of benefits, and I had come to the point where I just couldn't imagine doing it anymore.

I was and still am good friends with the business owners. I was very nervous, but I invited them to dinner, briefly explained my reasons for quitting, and gave them a date. They were kind and understanding and made it totally painless.

I didn't hate my job or my coworkers, it just wasn't for me anymore. Your situation is different, but I believe that honesty is usually the best policy. If you tell them why you're really quitting maybe you can improve the atmosphere for the people who stay.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There is little worse then being miserable at your job and I quit many a job for many a reason. The bottom line is you deserve to be happy and money (while a necessary evil of course) is not a good enough reason to be miserable.

I left the workforce about 13 years go, started my own company and never looked back. It's not for everyone but if you are the tyoe of person that keeps finding yourself unhappy in your job(s), you never know!
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I quit a job for multiple reasons.

1. My boss asked me to break a law regarding child safety (I was a swim instructor and lifeguard at a YMCA).
    2. There were frequent MANDATORY all-day trainings WITHOUT PAY.
    3. I was suspended for 3 weeks after a coworker told my supervisor that I had been "breaking company policies". This coworker was best friends with the girl that my brother had just broken up with. You do the math.
    4. My boss often brought her personal life to work with her and took it out on all the employees.
    5. We were often asked (forced) to "volunteer" for special events that the facility held. No pay.
    6. The hours sucked.

So yeah, I left.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Just fyi---if you do decide to quit, you should have something lined up or have some savings. Most states will not pay for your unemployment because you decided you have had enough of "office politics". Do it wisely. I have been here many, many times. Best of luck!

Unemployed Student who has been to more "unskilled jobs" than he can count or remember.

*Addition: Washington, from what I understand, is a lot more lenient on this type of thing than is California, that is for sure. Do some reading, talk to people. You will do as you see fit.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I feel like quitting jobs is my area of expertise! In all honestly, I worked at one job for about 4 years seasonally (which essentially meant I was laid off for a month or two and collected unemployment.) Loved this job so much but then they merged with the corporate office and the whole atmosphere changed. They gave leadership positions to unqualified and frankly crappy people and they changed all the policies. The new "boss" (and I use this term lightly) they had over my department was a giant dbag. Openly scolded his employees in front of everyone, made myself and others cry by making us feel stupid. He degraded all the women and was all sports and high-fives with the guys. It was ridiculous. I tried to put up with him as long as possible for the chance of a promotion, but finally got too bad. So even after 4 years of working there, I called in one day and said I wasn't coming back. They had me go in and sign an official resignation letter, but I gave no notice and never looked back. Do I regret it? No, not really. I wanted to "stick it to the man" and I had another job lined up. I waited until I did for the sake of my bank account and honestly, I've had a few jobs since then and have never had problems getting hired because I didn't give a formal notice. Maybe that won't always be the case, but it wasn't the first job I've quit and it won't be the last. There's no reason for a job to make you miserable and for me, I ended up binge drinking and eating my nights away after work because I was so unhappy there. Now I'm at a job I don't love, but I've finally realized without a degree and the money to start up my own business, I'm just going to jump around to jobs that dont' satisfy me. Instead I'm looking towards the future now. So in summary, can't say what's best for you, but do what makes you happy! Dont' settle for less than you deserve, but also really think about if you're overreacting or if your reasons for wanting to leave are justified.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I had a diabetic coma after a 10 year job earning 120,000 a year. Social security took over and I became medicaid. If I could go back, it would have never happened because I lost my independence.....
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hated the job, the supervisor, the wage, the coworkers. Happy that I left, but haven't been able to find a job since. :(
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've quit jobs in the past when I wasn't very serious about them.
    Now, when I am ready to move on, I have something else lined up and give two weeks notice.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    People.
  • ktillotson14
    Options
    I quit my first job out of undergrad because I was being sexually harassed by my boss. Well actually, I was planning on quitting. HR found out about everything that was going on the day before I gave my notice and kindly "let me go" so I could still receive severance and unemployment should I need it. Thank goodness I was only unemployed for about 2 weeks.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I've only quit for one sole reason - advancement. With every job move I've made more mula, taken on more responsibility and best of all in my current company I have a voice and am able to perform more managerial tasks as well as deal directly with the big wigs. It's pretty kick *kitten*.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    30jqph2.gif
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've quit a lot of jobs. You have to, usually, to move ahead.

My advice is 1) have something lined up. Just having savings isn't enough. These days you could be unemployed for over a year. 2)no matter the circumstance, never ever bad mouth or say anything bad. Just tell them you are looking for new opportunities. Leave on a happy positive note...ALWAYS. Unless its really harsh conditions, always leave happy, upbeat, and positive. You win! They will see that. I have seen people leave angry and it looks ugly, and most of the times, they have it all wrong in their logic about the "why's". And, when you see them on the street some years later, all you remember is their whining when they left. You fix it on the inside, or you leave. No need to give them an earful with your foot out of the door.

Good luck.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit but they threatened to shoot me,

protecting freedom an't easy but it's necessary
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I worked for a large technology company once...the day I quit, I sent an email to my entire division...few hundred people that read:

"Today is my last day working here. My favorite candy is the York Peppermint Patty."

It was, and it isn't.

I left my laptop with HR and walked out the door.