Oatmeal...

Options

Replies

• anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    and wait this guy is basically telling you to eat like you're in a gulag by eating oatmeal only for 2 meals a day to help you lose weight and you're OK with that?? :laugh: what happens after you get out of prison and can eat more than a bowl of oatmeal twice a day? that's really bad advice.

THIS. it's the first thing I thought of when I read the opening post. How is this sustainable as a life style choice? And how does oatmeal help you build muscle?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it 2x a day. I would leave it for breakfast or a quick snack choice. I mean they say to make breakfast the biggest calorie intake in the day as you will burn it off quick through out the day. So what I do for oatmeal is 1/2 cup irish oats, small dash of chocolate chips (tests show that when you eat some form of "dessert" in the morning you burn more calories as you are less likely to cheat through out the day) also add dash of brown sugar if you like it a smidgen sweeter, I do but I use pineapple and hubby does Brown sugar and then add whatever else for fruits and such in it and enjoy. :D 25lbs lost on how I eat and <3ing it...GOOD LUCK
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the recipe ideas...

Also, I went 15+ years without eating oatmeal (tried it when I was little and hated the texture). Recently I wanted to give it another go, and I think I'm in love. I use the quick-cooking 5 minute oats, and use water most of the time. Made it with Silk this morning and it boiled over while I was making the coffee, haha! Usually I put in 1/2 to 1 cup of strawberries or apples. This week I've been using 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean High Fiber (tons of protein!), and 2 tablespoons of Skinnytaste's pumpkin butter.

It. Is. Exquisite.
    Keeps me full for forever, and that's a tall order. I'm eager to try the steel-cut oats, too.

I don't think I could eat it twice a day, every day. Maybe every now and then when I get a craving.
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try steel oats with raisins, cinnamon and add some milk.
  • NeeNee5674
    Options
    I love mine with.....
    ~Strawberries & almond milk,
    ~Peaches & honey greek yogurt,
    ~Bananas & chopped walnuts,
    ~Bananas & shredded coconut,
    or my favorite,
    ~Raisins, apples, & slivered almonds,
    and pretty much add cinnamon to any/all of the above.
    Sometimes I still add a touch of brown sugar, too. ;)

I use the 5-minute Old Fashioned Quakers on the stove, but I've also done the overnight, raw oats with raisins & apples, and it's really good, too.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal made on te stove (the one minute quick oats kind) but I don't think your trainer knows much about nutrition. I can't imagine that oatmeal has any magic qualities. I eat it a few times a month. If you don't care for it, don't bother. There are plenty of healthful things to eat.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This is really good:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Baked-Lemon-and-Vanilla-Oatmeal-with-Strawberries-Recipe

I also like oats as a topping on baked apples, with a little maple syrup and cinnamon.

But I would be interested in knowing how oatmeal is a miracle food that will make you lean. Surely you can find something you like that fills you up?
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I make mine
    40g oats (I use Scotts porridge oats) (142 Cals)
    150ml of semi skimmed mIlk (75 cals)
    top the milk up to 275ml with water. (0 Cals)
    1 dessert spoon of golden sryup. (60 Cals)

The figures come in at 277 Calories (including the sryup), for a huge bowl of delicious creamy sweetness, it satisfies my sweet tooth so I do not want to snack on anything sweet for the rest of the day.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    this is my go to oatmeal recipe

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
    1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tablespoon organic powdered peanut butter(or reg pb but if u use the powdered one it only add's 22 cals!)
    1 1/8 cup of water
    1/2 banana

mix dry ingredients in a bowl thoroughly...(if using reg pb wait until oatmeal i cooked before adding it) add water and cook in microwave until desired consistency.

if usuing real pb add in whwen finished cooking.

Top oatmeal with 1/2 of a banana sliced.

so easy and super healthy! great way to start the day!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i freaking LOVE it with chocolate or vanilla protein powder!
    I want to go to bed RIGHT NOW so I can eat breakfast faster ;)
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    answer: Get another trainer.
    You don't have to do oatmeal. I hate it too.

However, I recently tried steel cut oats in yogurt. I like it, but it's not exactly interesting or tasty. It's just filler IMO.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i put blueberries, cinnamon, or maple syrup in mine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you don't like oatmeal, don't eat oatmeal.

Your trainer's advice is very, very, very odd.
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There's this stuff called Lotus Biscoff Spread, and it's absolutely heavenly.
    I take about half a tablespoon and put it in my oatmeal, with half a tablespoon of sugar and it tastes like sheer orgasms.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I might be repeating others, but just in case: Try steel cut oats (soak them overnight so that they cook faster) or another type of hot cereal such as spelt flakes. I've recently been really into spelt flakes for breakfast. It cooks quickly (about 3 minutes in boiling water on the stove), has a nuttier flavour than regular oatmeal, and a less mushy texture. If you must go with regular oatmeal, then try adding nuts and/or raisins to it. Sometimes I add goji berries. It gives it a sweeter flavour but also a different texture. (I have trouble with the texture of regular oatmeal.)

All that being said, shouldn't your trainer be suggesting that you eat more protein rather than carbs? Sure, oatmeal is healthy, but more than one meal a day doesn't seem right to me. Then again, I'm not a trainer... I just find that protein keeps me full longer than oatmeal.
  • rachelandbsst
    Options
    I put mashed banana in my oatmeal. Sometimes I also do shaved apple. Cinnamon, brown sugar, and cream are also great things to put on oatmeal.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Diced apples (added b4 cooking), apple pie spice and stevia. yum yum yum.
    I use old fashioned oats, didn't like steel cut at all.

But try and be open to new ideas, new tastes before passing on them. Lifestyle changes means just that, change your lifestyle. Good luck to you
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird, but have you tried them cold? I cannot stand cooked oatmeal... so I get quick oats.
    Measure 1/2 a cup of oats and 1/2 cup of milk into a bowl. Top with fruit of your choice and voila!!! Add sweetener if you need it, but the fruit (strawberries in my case) usually add enough sweetness.

It works for me.... Let me know if you try it!
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    make a fruit smothie and throw a tablespoon into it, you barely taste it.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    maple syrup eh !!!