Mantaining weight. How does it work?

Options
Decided on mantaining my weight by eating around 1800 cals a day (as recommended by MFP) But still kinda scared i might gain everything back! :( How do you effectively mantain your weight? Any tips guys? :( I'm scared i might gain everything back!

Replies

• lisab0864
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 18+ months now.... My advice is to continue to do whatever exercise you've been doing (change things up if you are getting bored but don't stop), continue to eat the way you've been eating (but increase your calories), continue to log your food, and jump on the scale on a regular basis..
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This isn't for everyone but I weigh myself every day when I first get up and figure the weekly average on Monday. That evens out the daily fluctuations. Any gain will be quickly detected. Like you, I'm concerned I might gain weight back so I'm pretty vigilant about it. I've been on maintenance since May.
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    I've read that it's important to build up to your maintenance calories gradually, like don't go straight from 1400 to 1800 (for example), go up 100 cals per day each week until you get up to the end point.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 18+ months now.... My advice is to continue to do whatever exercise you've been doing (change things up if you are getting bored but don't stop), continue to eat the way you've been eating (but increase your calories), continue to log your food, and jump on the scale on a regular basis..

this!

i have been maintainign for over a year now. though that beign said, i am still working on lowering my BF% and i have fitness goals to keep me motivated as well.
  • embeck79
    embeck79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have been maintaing for nearly 4 weeks now but i did a gradual upping of my calories mine is 1800 a day at maintenance, i gained to begin with but back to normaly now with a few pounds lost on top and few inches gone too, i like to mix up my exercise too but i havent done any more or any less. try and stay relaxed with it and i wouldnt suggest weighing yourself everyday but everyone is different i guess there can be a massive difference day to day in weight due to water and recovery from exercise. keep up the good work and well done on getting to maintenance :) x
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    you will only gain weight if u exceed your daily maintanance level by 200 or more calories u will be fine .. u may even lose a little weight on 1800
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    and ill add that u need to exceed your calories every day for a long period of time
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    Just because you increase to 1800 does not mean you will stop either.
    MFP is not totally accurate as everyone is different.
    You may have to go higher or not as high to find your maintainence.
    Just keep tracking and increase it. You maybe surprised at the results.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintainance since May. My goal was 157, but I didn't adjust my eating and lost another 12 pounds. I'm back up to around 147 on average (I could be 150 one day, 145 the next). I eat over 1840 calories everyday and rarely "work out". I keep active, walking, but I haven't seen a gym since I was concentrating on losing. I was totally worried about gaining it back after all that hard work, but I've figured out how to maintain without killing myself and I'm very happy...
  • impossibianca
    Options
    thank you everyone! im just really scared :)