Soup is great for keeping the weight off

Options
Soup is great for a "light dinner"... keeping the calories down. The autumn is right upon us, use the seasonal veggies like artichokes and mushrooms to make a superb soup:
http://www.eatmorevegetarian.com/autumn-soup-on-jerusalem-artichokes-and-mushrooms/

Replies

• SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Soup is great, thanks for the recipe.
    Here's a link with lots of soup recipes under 100 calories, for if you need more ideas!
    http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-calorie/under-100-calorie/Soups.aspx
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Agree about soup. My children will only eat my home made leek and potato soup.

Sweat off a three large sliced leeks in a pan with some olive oil and a little butter. Add plenty of vegetable or chicken stock (about a litre) and some peeled and cut up potatoes (3 medium sized ones) and a little grated nutmeg. Simmer until potatoes are really soft and add a little milk. Blend until smooth and season to taste. Perfect
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dionne_williams
    Options
    bump
  • sbedette
    sbedette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I love this, thank you. I have leeks and parsnips still sitting in the ground ready for just this project.
  • Sabrinalise
    Options
    A great " can of soup" with low calories, and decent protein is Campbells Go (its in a pouch). I love the Moroccan Chicken. Its great to keep at work as a "just in case" meal. Good luck everyone!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Soup is my favorite thing. And it has been amazing for keeping off the weight and losing weight. Love Soup by Anna Thomas is an AMAZING cookbook.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Soup is great, thanks for the recipe.
    Here's a link with lots of soup recipes under 100 calories, for if you need more ideas!
    http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/collections/nutrition/low-calorie/under-100-calorie/Soups.aspx

There are so many recipes that look good on this site. I don't know what they mean by "serving size, 1 serving" How much is one serving? I haven't been able to find it from the website. Thanks for the link!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Some canned soups are brilliant. Baxters fuller for longer is one - they all have between 2-3 of your 5 a day in each can, are fairly low in salt and do what they say on the tin.

But I agree, can't beat a homemade soup!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love HM soup, just had spicy red lentil soup for my lunch which was left from Saturday - some soups, in my opinion, taste much nicer reheated, with today's been one of them!!!!
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    bump
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Soup is what gets me through my diet!! Nothing beats a bit of homemade soup on a cold day.
  • 121John121
    121John121 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... luv soup.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    And soup is a great way to get your vegetables if you have trouble eating enough of then. Put vegetables in a stock pot (whatever is in the fridge will work-carrots, lettuce, that little piece of broccoli, celery, onion, fennel, celery root, you name it, even canned veggies that you won't normally eat) and add some broth, cook down, blend with a stick blender, add spices and maybe some corn or beans for body, and voila. The possible combinations are endless. Delicious, nutritious, affordable.
  • fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've started making myself a large batch of soup each week so I can have "proper" soup daily. this week it was chicken with carrots, onion, potato, mushrooms, red chillis and basmati rice :) was 193 cals a serving and kept me full for at least 4hrs
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    I boil up the chicken carcass and throw in onion carrots cauli leek and it tastes wonderful more of a meal is throwing in some egg noodles lol
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!

What a great idea! I want to start doing this too!