Body pump question

Options
How many times a week do you think is okay/the best for body pump?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    ZERO

It is much too fast to do the exercises in good form and out of all the classes available it has the highest injury rate.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My instructors stress form to the max. So then what do you do?
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    I love body pump class. Attack is my favorite though.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    How many times a week do you do pump? I love attack but they only had it at an odd time but then stopped it all together. They have it paired with step which is cool but its in the morning and I work.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    With a good instructor who makes sure you do it correctly there should be no reason to get injured! I go twice a week, but would go three times if there was another class I could get to. I have been doing Pump for 4 or 5 years and never injured myself, nor have any of my friends.

If you do go, most important to try and go regularly I would say. Doesn't matter whether that's once a week or more, but we always find it very hard to get back to if after a holiday.

Sart with very light weights and learn the technique.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    I love Body Pump. For strength training, I do it twice a week and add a day interval training to that.
  • Clcleeds2012
    Options
    I just started BodyPump and I can only go once a week due to family commitments. I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time doing it once a week as the instructor recommended three times. Also the instructor seems more interested in doing the exercises himself and looking at his reflection in the mirrors than in anybody's form!
  • SWET1984
    Options
    I love body pump. It was one of the first classes I became 'addicted' to at the gym. It's also a really effective way to burn calories - and keep burning them after the class is done.
    Injuries shouldn't be a problem if you have a trained instructor advising you on which weights will suit your level of fitness and strength. I've been doing pump for over 10 years and haven't injured myself yet.
    To start with, as a beginner you will be sore for a few weeks post-pump workouts - but 2 x classes a week are still recommended. Once you become a regular Pumper you can increase this up to 3 or 4. Remember though, cardio and rest days are important too for an all-over workout of the body. :)
  • jirmette
    Options
    2 to 3 times a week is ideal - enjoy :-). I've been teaching body pump for 7 years & participating for a few more, it's never caused me an injury!
  • jirmette
    Options
    Just to add, the only times I worry about people getting injured are when they are not listening to weight recommendations / technique advice or safety tips. If you listed to your instructor's advice, you'll be fine.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you are doing it as strength or cardio. For cardio 2 or 3 would be fine. For strength training? Zero.
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I normally lift weights 2-3x a week and run on the other days.. I've been wanting to try body pump just to change things up a bit but I keep hearing that it's more of a cardio class than strength training. Does that mean I can/should still lift in addition to body pump?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How many times a week do you do pump? I love attack but they only had it at an odd time but then stopped it all together. They have it paired with step which is cool but its in the morning and I work.

As many times as you like, it really doesn't matter. As a new exerciser, I'd recommend limiting it to every other day.
    If at any point you find your performance waining though, introduce more rest days.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I normally lift weights 2-3x a week and run on the other days.. I've been wanting to try body pump just to change things up a bit but I keep hearing that it's more of a cardio class than strength training. Does that mean I can/should still lift in addition to body pump?

Although it is a cardio class, it may well hamper your recovery from your strength training.