Stronglifts vs Functional training?

Options
I was talking to a personal trainer about strong lifts. He hadn't heard of it before but was talking to me about functional training. Does anyone know anything about that??? What is the difference?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    you would have to define 'functional' training for us.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Stronglifts is a strength training program that emphasizes compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press with steady progressive overload.

Functional training typically aims improvement for a sport or general daily activities. For example basketball players use a jumping machine to increase their vertical.

Both are good approaches and can be complementary.

Stronglifts is great for starting lifters. Just be aware that proper form is a must in lifting.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, squats, presses, rows, and cleans are all functional strength. Also basing workouts on these compound lifts cuts out the need to extra "core" work.

For a basic strength training program designed to get you stronger, stronglifts is pretty good, and is vastly superior for a novice to take and use (without unrequired help) than many of the workouts I see our trainers doing in my gym.

I'm not really sure what "fuctional training" the trainer is referring to.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts as a program that most people who lift weights have heard of.

Functional training used to mean something, but has now become a buzzword to throw about when you don't know what you're talking about. Used to promote anything from training with rope/strapping to vibration platforms.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts, it has work much better for me than "functional" training. However, that doesn't mean it is better. It is just working for me... and I love it!
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i think both methods work, but it depends what you are looking for. Strong lifts give you powerful muscles that are more fast twitch and for power. Less endurance. Functional training is about using less weights and working more on always using your whole body... like arms, legs and core are all engaged. Focuses more on balance, endurance and strength for everyday living. Both approaches are good, just depends what you want from a workout program. Physical therapists tend to do more "functional training" and it is a good approach for someone like me that has a knee injury and cannot lift heavy weights at the moment.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Try doing some heavy squats and deadlifts and see how many muscles are engaged
  • Mollie007
    Options
    I want whatever is going to burn fat more efficiently and whatever is going to allow me to do it by myself, as I can't afford a trainer 3 a week. Basically, I just need someone to tell me - this is what you need to do, and I'll do it. My hope was that I could pay for a trainer a few times to get the form down and learn how to do things properly, and then go on my own. Is this realistic? I basically know zilch about strength training. I do a lot of cardio, but know that I need to start incorporating weights, i just truly have no clue how to go about it.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, in my opinion, you will probably maintain/gain more muscle lifting heavier weights which in turn will help to burn more fat etc. You could learn to do either program alone, although with the heavy lifts you may need a spotter sometimes. I personally have grown to really like functional training though because my balance is a lot better and I have gotten stronger. But you will get stronger with either program.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'd start with finding a trainer who knows thier business. This one is obviously clueless or has been living under a rock for the last few years.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I want whatever is going to burn fat more efficiently and whatever is going to allow me to do it by myself, as I can't afford a trainer 3 a week. Basically, I just need someone to tell me - this is what you need to do, and I'll do it. My hope was that I could pay for a trainer a few times to get the form down and learn how to do things properly, and then go on my own. Is this realistic? I basically know zilch about strength training. I do a lot of cardio, but know that I need to start incorporating weights, i just truly have no clue how to go about it.

Sure. Look at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

and do this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'd start with finding a trainer who knows thier business. This one is obviously clueless or has been living under a rock for the last few years.

Yeah. Stronglifts is a pretty well known program. I would be leary of any professional trainer that had never heard of it.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Personally if I was you I would do some research on the net about strength training before either deciding to hire a trainer or going it alone. Have a look at different beginner programmes and try and decide which you think is more suitable for your goals. Don't just let a PT decide for you, look into it yourself. Strong lifts 5 x 5, New Rules of Lifting for Women are 2 programmes I have tried personally and can recommend them both. You can google the exercises and watch on you tube, maybe when you have decided what to follow then involve a trainer to teach you good safe form.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So if I want to get better at doing squats, deadlifts, and bench press, and I decide to do Strong lifts as my training program.

If I get stronger/better at doing squats, deadlifts, and bench press was my training not functional?

Functional training just means that at the end of the day its going to help you get closer to your goal.

So guess what. Curls can be functional, smith machine quarter squats can be functional, 2.5 pound upright rows done on a bosu ball can be functional.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sure. Look at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

I used to know a guy that would direct a lot of people to this thread.....
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    My strength traing has helped me become more functional in life.

WTf is functional training, grocery bag squats? Tupperware OHP?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I have been thinking the same thing. I haven't seen that guy in a while. Hmmm...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I have been thinking the same thing. I haven't seen that guy in a while. Hmmm...

nah.......couldn't be. or could it? naaaaaaaah
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I bet that guy was full of win
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would agree that guy is "full of win"