5k- what in the world!

Options
So I'm a new runner and I just ran my first complete mile ever in my life the other day! I'm looking into 5K's and I really want to try one soon.
When I told my husband this he said, that me doing a 5k without having trained, and not expecting to run the whole time is like a slap in the face to all the people who are highly competitive at it. I told him that all sorts of people from different fitness levels do 5k's and that I didn't have to run the whole time.

So what do you guys think? Am I insulting the other runners by just attempting one with no experience? Or is my husband being crazy?

Replies

• mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    LOL! Your husband is nuts.

Tons of people enter 5Ks with no previous running experience. Many people walk them. Just line up toward the back of the pack and have fun! :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    LOL! Your husband is nuts.

Tons of people enter 5Ks with no previous running experience. Many people walk them. Just line up toward the back of the pack and have fun! :)

Yep.
  • jesszgirl
    jesszgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last weekend. Just started running a couple of weeks before that. It was amazing and so much fun! I actually placed 3rd in my age group, I got a cute little ribbon. It's awesome and so rewarding! Go for it!
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought! I think he was just having a bad day in his defense, he also said in the same conversation that my diet (Paleo) was really bothering him lately, because we could never eat together, and eating out was an ordeal. Which is also wrong, I can find something to eat anywhere, am not a nazi about it when eating out, and we can eat the same meals, he just adds a side of rice or pasta to his......Maybe he's on his man period.
  • jimmerwoo
    jimmerwoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Healthwise: Of course it depends on your level of fitness, but if you're going to run 1 or 2 miles every week or so then 5km shouldn't be too much of an extra push.

Practically: I recently ran a half marathon for my first time and while I trained heavily in advance, I realised that the only thing I was competing against was my own goal I'd set myself. Whilst I overtook other runners, other people of all ages and sizes flew past me, (there were 7000 of us!).

Personally: YOUR goal is to complete a 5KM, it doesn't matter whether you run, walk or crawl across the line. It's about setting yourself a goal and having the will power to achieve it. Because if you can do that...you can do anything.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I'm not a runner but hubby is planning to do a 5K in a few weeks. He, also, has just started to increase his distance but plans to take it fairly slow and probably walk a portion. Not bad for a 50 year old new runner! Elite athletes probably don't focus their energy on 5k runs. Perhaps he is thinking of triathlons or marathons/half marathons. Even then I've known of people to share legs of a triathlon. In my humble opinion, GO FOR IT! You have to start somewhere!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do it! 5ks are a blast and full of people of all levels. The competitive types will be at the front of the pack, no worries! A lot of the 5k runs are fun-themed, and even when timed, still have a fun atmosphere where runners, walkers, strollers, kids of all ages are welcome.

Are you using a program for your running? c25k is a great way to work yourself up to the 5k distance. Find it online or there are lots of smart phone apps for it. Check your area for a fun holiday themed 5k - we have Jingle Bell Run coming up next month in my city - can't wait!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    There's always people of all fitness levels at the 5k stage. I would not think another minute about your husband's nonsense.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    NOBODY cares how slow you run/walk it. Nobody. If anything, people will respect the fact that you're out there trying.

Do not hesitate. Sign up and do it!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think your husband might have just had a grumpy moment there. There's no insult to a runner in someone taking part in the same event as them but doing it at a slower pace.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Your husband is sorely mistaken!!! A 5K isn't highly competitive - not usually. Many are for charity and aside from the first few that cross the finish line, people are just there to participate! I've done one before & am doing a Warrior Dash this summer and am new to running (again) as well. Don't EVER let anyone tell you cannot do something!!!!!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you've run a mile non-stop, doing a 5K is certainly something you can do.
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I say go for it!! Then when you are done you should do the couch to 5k program so the next one you can run the whole thing!!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The only time someone "inexperienced" at running would offend me at all is if they walked for part of the 5K and then said "I ran a 5K." And it only makes me a little bit perturbed, and there wouldn't be anything wrong at all with them saying they "finished" a 5K.

As far as having inexperienced people there in the race, it makes me feel good to see them there trying. (And it also makes me feel good because it's another person I can run faster than lol)
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!! I just did my first one a couple of weeks ago and I only finished c25k this summer. You can run/walk. I ended up finishing in 37:24 and was so proud for my first attempt. There were strong runners that passed me by but I made it to the finish line and you can too :) Do it!!!! Have fun :)
  • cjosenga
    cjosenga Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k in May. I was really surprised when I was able to finish it without stopping!
    I have ran a total of 6 5k's over the summer. Each time I set a personal goal for myself. Everyone was encouraging each other. I find that people are competing against themselves, not other runners.
    Good luck!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    my diet (Paleo) was really bothering him lately, because we could never eat together,

Can i just get this straight,
    from what i read, it sounds like your man is turning down meat???

I'm sorry i never thought i would hear that.

Also I used to run 5ks (currently injured)
    and as one of the many ppl at the back of the pack, i used to get huge round of applause coming down the last stretch.
    Lots of people appreciate that us slow runners, are out running for longer, so we need to be much more dedicated to keep going.

I'd be very surprised if you insulted any runner, (Unless you stopped one of the super competitive ones from overtaking)

Best of luck.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    that's complete BS. there are plenty of 5K's that are even walk/runs, and people walk the whole time. ANNND I even know people that do a local 15K in our area that impulsively sign up with no training and run/walk it. And that race is wayyyy more competitive than a 5K, with first place finishers receiving $1,000+.

I don't think those who do train and race competitively are really all that worried about people behind them. they're worried about the fact that someone's in front of them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    He'd probably be surprised to hear that in a race nobody cares what other people do*.......my only competitor is me. The running community, from what I've observed, is a very inclusive group of people. Having gone from barely being able to run around the block to running half marathons (my first full marathon is next May) I can honestly say that I've only found encouragement from more experienced and gifted runners.

*as long as you're not a slow runner and/or walker in the first corral :happy:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    You're only insulting people if you push way up front for the start. Hang back and start where you should, the timing chip will ge your correct time.