self sabatoge?

Options
so discouraged. im seriously sucking. i've basically been at the same place weight wise for the last two months. im in the gym more so i would expect more results but the scale isn't showing it. i need to get my food on track. i plan and i portion and i know what im supposed to eat..but somehow i dont let myself do what i know i should do. how do you guys do so well food wise?? how do you stop yourself from making decisions that put you further away from your goal rather than closer to it?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. I want to be fit & weigh less more than I want whatever bad behavior/decision I am tempted with.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First off,

I have realized the more I lose the harder it gets... Fat gets more stubborn so you have to trick it out of your body,
    it's not really about how long you are at the gym but how intense your workouts are. Also, if you do strength training,
    you shouldn't worry so much about the scale, but instead measure yourself and your body fat. There is where you should
    see the most difference not in the scale.

For me, what keeps me motivated is knowing that with 40 pounds now lighter, I am not dieting anymore, but am eating healthy.
    Because I want to prevent all the obesity related diseases that run in my family. Health should be your number one motivation,
    if you make good healthy choices your body will reflect on the outside what you do to the inside.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i grocery shop for only the food i can eat. if it's not around, then i can't eat it. on the weekends i got out to eat, and i get what i want. i find myself making better choices at restaurants, though, because i want to see the scale number go down.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Eating has been my biggest issue....and still is. I had gastric bypass in August. While I can only eat so much...it is up to me as to what I put in my mouth. If I eat to many carbs I will actually gain a pound or 2. So I limit them. I eat as much protein as I can, but I do add some carbs so I am burning carbs and not the protein.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's a day-by-day struggle/battle. I would love to eat junk and sweets every day, but I know it won't help me get to where I want to be. I often make deals with myself, such as, if I work out and eat really strict Monday through Friday, then on Saturday I get to have a scoop of ice cream, or some other small treat. But I still struggle with portion size and just ONE scoop of ice cream. Eventually I just get fed up enough with myself that the junk food doesn't seem as appealing. My desire to get fit is becoming stronger than my desire to pig out. For every single thing you eat, you have to ask yourself if it's helping you get to your goal.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Most people don't succeed every day. I get the best results when I religiously track everything every day. It's one thing to think you're sabotaging yourself -- you may even feel virtuous in scolding yourself -- but when day after day you have to post the results and see the physical evidence on a site or in your own records it has an effect. If you really want to lose weight why are you acting like this?

Full Disclosure: I haven't been tracking my food and it shows. I've gained a couple of pounds. I do track my weight. I'm just not into food tracking right now (probably denial) and while I'm not happy with myself, I'm not going to go nuts unless or until my weight increases dramatically, which I hope it won't. I imagine in time I'll get a second wind.

I would never want my weight to get really out of hand because I don't know that I could lose it. So many people I know haven't been able to.
  • kathijen
    kathijen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Food and self discipline go hand in hand for me. I've done better lately by telling myselt that I deserve better. I deserve to feel good -- not overstuffed, not regretful for a bad choice, not uncomfortably full. I've been telling myself that my body wants something better than what I instantly think of turning to (fast food, chocolate, etc). That being said, I do follow the 80-20 rule of making healthy choices 80% of the time and 20% of the time being not-so-good and guilt free. Good luck. It's a process. I know you can do it!
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are no easy answers. A lot of it takes practice, patience, and self-forgiveness when you make a mistake. Until super recently, I was doing really, really well with my eating habits because I find eating better is easier than working out when I have a ton of papers to grade and homework of my own. (I know, I should be working out instead of on the forums! Shh!)

I can only suggest what I know worked for me: Start small. Exchange poor foods with healthy alternatives then work your way up to big things. Before you know it, you'll have a laundry list of foods you've changed for the better. Also, be careful of your portion sizes.

I tried to look at your diary but there's no access so I can't give a more personalized response. Anyway, I hope this helps!