Why did/didn't you regain weight?

Options
It's something that I've been thinking about over the last week even though I've never regained any weight, probably because I haven't even finished losing it yet. I read a lot of posts about people who have lost weight, put it back on, and are now losing it again. But none of them ever explained why.

So naturally I did a little research and found so many conflicting answers. Some sources saying that 80-90% of people who lose weight will put all of it back on and then some more. So my question to you is, did you put on weight after you finished losing? If so, was it because you just gave in to your old lifestyle or because of your metabolism?

Replies

• Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs two years ago and regained almost nothing.
    In my opinion, the whole 'starvation mode' myth is a hype. I'm pretty sure that if you regain, it's because you go back to your old eating habits. If you eat junk, you WILL gain weight.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight, but I have on occasion gained 10 pounds in a year because of work conditions: Boring and stressful job, long hours, convenient vending machines, free food, too tired or depressed to work out. When the situation ended, I usually could lose the weight fairly easily, but as I've aged, my metabolism has slowed down and it's gotten increasingly harder.

That's why it's important for a middle-aged person to manage his or her weight. If you gain too much, there may come a point when you can't easily get it off.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds in the 80's kept if off more or less (15 lb or so) through kids. Got cancer gained 30 back, lost 27 - broke knee couldn't run - gained back 18 working on getting it back off.

for the most part , I've kept it off by sometype of excerise and always watching what I eat.

never went back to my old habits - (eating an entire bag of chips in one sitting)
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great question....MOST people, if you go by statistics, REGAIN all or more weight.

I lost 65 pounds 7 years ago, maintained it for about 2 years and started putting the pounds back on slowly. I lost my weight doing Atkins, and don't get me wrong, I love Atkins, still do, felt great doing it, but I never learned how to maintain my weight on it. I can honestly say that I didn't do Atkins as it was intended, I ignored the rungs of OWL and lost most of my weight eating less than 30 grams of carbs a day. I discovered that I cannot live my life on 30 grams of carbs a day, and probably went a little carb crazy after a while.

I also stopped weighing myself, and that's a huge mistake. I ignored the fact that my clothes were getting tight, and instead of weighing in to assess the damage, I bought bigger clothes and kept on eating too much. I was still working out but not like I was when I was losing...that was another thing I couldn't maintain. I worked out 6 days a week, ran about 25-30 miles every week and did other cardio like elliptical, spin classes, plus weight training 5 days a week. About 2-3 hours per day was devoted to exercise.

I gained most of my weight back in the past year. I hurt my shoulder 4 years ago and that slowed down my workouts...actually, they stopped completely, so I probably packed on 25 pounds by that point, but I still looked okay. I started working out regularly a year ago, re-injured my same shoulder, got mad at myself, felt sorry for myself, and ate for comfort, gaining another 25 pounds by June, and summer came and so did another 15 pounds....I love my beer and ice cream and chips and guac. Too much for my own good.

September came and none of my fall clothes fit. I had to buy a size 16 pant, and that was it. I wasn't going there again. I joined WW online (which I still do, bought a 6 month membership), and since then I've lost 10 pounds. I work out 5 days a week...zumba 3 days, bikram yoga twice...the occasional 20 minute walk/run because I miss running. I joined MFP a few weeks ago but really just starting posting over the weekend, and the best thing? My Fitbit! That little device is making me move more than I ever thought I would want to....going up and down the stairs when I have a few minutes, walking on the treadmill when I want to watch tv. Its life-changing.

SO, in a nutshell....why did I regain the weight? I went back to my old, unhealthy lifestyle. I can't let that happen again, I'm too old to be losing and gaining and losing again...my skin can't take, I don't know if my heart can take it, and my wallet certainly cannot take it....I want to buy clothes in one size and just keep wearing those (and a bunch of new ones every season, of course!)

I didn't mean for that to get so long...I'm feeling very vocal today ;)
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    slowly returned to my old lifestyle and completely lost track of how big I was getting.You can't let yourse;f become too complacent. I had lost 60 lbs. kept it off for some time and just started slipping during a financial blow. sacrificed my healthier meals to get more of the family's foods and ate that instead.... never should have thought about it that way. really is no more expensive to eat healthy, even as the only one requiring my specific diet in my house.

This time my success in maintaining will be in several parts. I will not return to the unhealthy eating.1) I pay CLOSE attention to how I feel on days I "Over do it" and I ahve come to realize there is a limit whre it goes from uncomfortable to "I WILL NEVER AGAIN...." 2) I don't eat untl I am uncomfortably full anymore. I do everything in my power to EAT SLOW and always have a glass of water before I eat to help reduce how much I eat. 3) I am getting rid of my "fat clothes" as I undergrow them. Goodwill Baby! trade that *kitten* in and then you won't have the next size up available without going shopping. Now that I am where I am, if I were to reach that point, I would rather go to the gym and re-evaluate my menu to find out where I may be slacking because buying larger clothes will not be accepted without a VALID MEDICAL REASON (hormones, thyroid levels, reaction to some medication....) and it BETTER be short term and correctable.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds in the 80's kept if off more or less (15 lb or so) through kids. Got cancer gained 30 back, lost 27 - broke knee couldn't run - gained back 18 working on getting it back off.

for the most part , I've kept it off by sometype of excerise and always watching what I eat.

never went back to my old habits - (eating an entire bag of chips in one sitting)

YOU are the exception! People like you are very motivating to me :)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was a 220 lb 14 year old. I lost the weight by the time I was 17 using just diet. I did low calorie dieting of often under 1000 calories per day. I kept the weight off for almost a decade.

I gained it all back in early 2009 in just a few months. I gained it back due to being down, maybe it was even depression, I don't know. Basically, I lost my job. It was the biggest surprise of my life. I had so much of my self worth hinged on that job. I was good at working, that was my thing. Got called into the office for what I thought was a performance review and instead got laid off with about ten other people selected at random. This was December 23rd of 2008. I was offered my job back in February of 2009, but it was for minimum wage, less than half what I had been earning. I declined, just didn't seem right.

Anyhow, at that point my home was in foreclosure, I ended up declaring bankruptcy and living with my parents.

In a very short time I gained up to 210. The last ten lbs was from my surprise pregnancy in 2010. I lost that weight, but than regained it when my daughter was hospitalized about a month later for a kidney infection and reflux that had gotten out of hand.

I believe that my weight gain could have been prevented if I was already regularly walking/running when it all happened. But, I had counted on my job for exercise, when that was gone I ate for comfort and didn't exercise.

This time exercise and an active lifestyle is playing an important role in my weight loss. I'm finally in a decent place mentally where I can do this again. I haven't been able to find regular employment since 2008. I've finally made peace with that. That was probably the hardest thing.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    All of my gains over the past few months can be attributed to TOM water retention (average of 5-7 pounds) or eating Chinese food the day before (2-3 pounds of water weight). I have yet to return to my old eating habits; nor do I want to. I had one of my old favorite meals a few weeks ago, and I felt so sick and bloated and awful that I vowed never again. I can't believe I used to eat like that every day.

Once I get to maintenance, I'm going to keep weighing myself every day to ensure I don't slip up and start going up again. I want to be sure I nip that in the bud before it escalates to 20, 30, 40 pounds gained. I've already started by getting rid of clothes as soon as they're too big for me. My thought is that if my jeans are getting too tight, I need to check my diary instead of just shrugging and putting on a bigger pair.

I really don't want to be one of those statistics.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds and kept it off for almost 2 years. Got married to a guy that wont eat alone and has a super high metabolism. Over the last year I have put back on 75 of those pounds. Basically, I tried to eat just like him and ditched my exercise in favor of spending more time with him. Had a wake up call when my pants got too tight and I would have to buy 18 (not sure why 18 was the call, guess i didnt want to buy plus sized clothes again) and said heck no so here I am again. He has also lost 20 pounds and back to his goal weight and totally supportive of a healthy lifestyle.....who knew??
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 100lbs a few years ago and plateaued with 50lbs left to lose. I got discouraged and kind of gave up. I put on about 40lbs. I am back on track now. Not sure why I got so discouraged but I do know that happens easily to me.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I put it back on when I quit smoking. I told myself that I gave up cigarettes, which was ever so difficult, and I should have to give up yummy food too. I used Tootsie Pops to occupy my mouth since cigarettes were no longer occupying it. Also, cigs had been my dessert. Without them, I didn't seem to know when to stop eating. I am now 5 years quit so no more bs excuses.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    After I got married I lost about 30 lbs...from 180 down to 150. I kept it off for almost 2 years because when I lost it, I didn't do anything other than portion control, the occasional treat and exercising. There was no fad diet and nothing "cut"...so it becaome my life and there was no way to change....I regained the weight when I got pregnant! hahaha. It was pretty sad I had a whole other human in me when I weighed what I weighed before.

After I had her I was back down to 165 and then....I stopped thinking about myself. I got lazy, I didn't "care" about my body and I think it's because for 9 months it's not your body...then you have the baby and your nursing and it's STILL not your body...I slowly crept up to about 175. It hit me one day that I almost weighed as much as I did when I had a WHOLE other person in me....that was sad. I realized I was just full of excuses and hiding lazyness behind the fact that I was " just going to have another kid...why bother losing the weight?"....and then I started making smaller right choices again, and I realized, I had a great labour and pregnancy the first time so I want to do that again and I better get back in shape!!!! As my dr said, you wouldn't run a marathon without training, don't try and go into labour without training for it...hahaha...So I forced myself to LOVE my body again. I am about 7 lbs away from where I was before I got pregnant and doing it the right way again. I am just re training my body that food is fuel and not a place to go for comfort. I work out and I feel strong again and it is bringing back all the "right" feelings I had before, when I loved who I was and what I saw in the mirror. I know next baby is it for us and whatever body I am left with is mine for good, so I better take good care of it and not use it as a dumping ground for junk I don't want in the house! hahaha....I think if you make the right MENTAL changes, you will succeed....that, and don't think you've "earned" anything....if I work out...it doesnt mean I've earned junk food. I eat junk occasionally when I WANT...not because i've earned something. As soon you as you start feeling that way, it's a slippery slope to gaining it all back!!!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Lost between 85 and 124 pounds several times, obviously with gain inbetween. For me eating is a stranglehold tight control over hunger issue. Eventually it burns out and I gain. When it recharges I can once again strangle the hunger into submission.

The answer is probably different for everyone.
  • jeawashko
    Options
    I was overweight until my early 20's, when I started losing weight. I've gone from 210ish to 135-140ish (I am 5'7"), so I've lost around 70lbs. The only weight I've re-gained is that normal 5-10lb flexibility sometimes (especially as a woman). In fact, I've decreased every year. This is the lowest weight I've ever been in my adult life. I also lost the weight over an extended period of time, I think that is what helped me to keep it off. Back when I started I was 21, and I was just cutting back on my poor food choices and just learning how to excerise. I didn't have anything like MFP to help me. I really think If I'd been tracking my food like I do now I would have had a greater loss more quickly, but I did it slow and steady. Also, since 2008 I've lost about 25 more lbs.

I can't really pinpoint why I haven't gained it back. To be honest, I just think I physically will not ALLOW myself to go down that path again. My mom, especially is notorious for gaining and losing the same 40lbs and I don't want to be like that. Also, this has just really been a lifestyle change for me. I think that is the biggest thing. Instead of looking at this as a diet, I just decided to change my life. I really haven't looked back and I never plan on it.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I haven't regained my weight because I never saw this process as a "finish line" type of thing. I didn't say, "I want to lose 30 pounds." I wanted to lose 30 pounds so I could STAY that size. I got rid of all my big jeans as they outgrew me and refuse to buy any larger ones again unless I get pregnant and need maternity stuff.

I think that's the biggest thing. People see weight loss as a one-time thing, and once they cross the finish line, they just do whatever they want again. But for me, it's a constant thing. The weight loss wasn't the goal. The goal was being this size and staying this size. I refuse to make any changes that I can't continue with for the long term.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I was close to 400 lbs at one point. Exactly how much I'm not sure, my scale didn't go that high. I ate better and exercised and dropped to 254. I got too comfortable as I approached goal, and my eating habits eroded. I didn't think it was a big deal, but when I stepped on the scale after a long break in weighing myself I was 300 lbs!!

I hovered at 300 for a few years, and now i'm back to it. Same deal - eating less and moving. MFP helps me keep track and not have the food rule my life. I can be casual about it, which is what I always sought. I can't be casual without the help or I'd gain it back!
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost fifteen pounds and gained half of it back after I regained bad habits and lost motivation to exercise.
    I kept seven of it off though by still maintaining portions, so I'm learning slowly but surely. :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am no expert, but i feel like a lot of the time people set themselves unrealistic goals/standards as they are losing weight so when they meet their ultimate goal and they try to go back to 'regular' eating, they aren't able to reasonably maintain so they gain the weight back (and then some)
    i am not a perfect eater or exerciser...i love sweets, pizza, and other taboo foods more than most...but i have done well (for the most part) maintaining my losses because i have built my own personal 'diet' around treats and foods that i love...focusing on moderation rather than denial has been a key to success for me :)
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My weight yo-yo'd through university... I'd make a change, lose some weight, make another change, gain weight back. I wasn't consistent.

Two years ago I lost 35 lbs and kept it off. I focused on being aware of my habits, so even when I'm not actively tracking or being careful about what I eat, I don't go overboard the way I used to and as a result the weight stays off.

I'm also more aware of my body and weight than I used to be. There have been a few times where I felt I was wavering too far off course, pants getting too tight, so I course corrected before things got out of hand.
  • skopp18
    Options
    I think a lot of people diet and then go back to their old lifestyles and that's why 80-90% regain it.

I will say that I lost a lot of weight before and kept it off for 2 years, which was a really long time since I yo-yoed with weight nearly all my life. Then, I gained it back because I was too stressed at work and I gave up everything I knew for the comfort of food. I didn't have time to eat at work, so I would get home at like 8 or 9pm (or later) and binge on whatever was fast and easy. I tried to bring bars with me or something to eat at work, but I never had the time even to unwrap and chew on a bar (and we were not given lunch breaks, don't ask) and so essentially, work consumed my life and I didn't adapt to it properly. I stopped working out (I was a member of many gyms during the time and I tried to go, but it was very inconsistent) and I stopped eating right. The pounds just piled up!