joggers/ runners - What do you do this time of year?

Options

Replies

• bboogle
    bboogle Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Winter is a great time of year to run. I live in Saskatchewan (Canada) and our winters are very cold. Plus they last half the year so we can't let them go to waste....er, I mean waist! :wink:
    Just layer layer layer! The dry wicking materials are so thin you can wear several layers.... and if its really cold (say -30 to -40 C) add a fleece layer to the top and bottom. I also love the fleece mittens that turn back to expose the fingers if you need to cool off, neckwarmer and toque, A light jacket, wind proof if necessary. Yes and trail runners for traction.I Its exhilarating to run in the cold, the only tough part is getting yourself out the door!
    I do have a treadmill, which is great when the wind chill is high, but much prefer running outdoors.
    Dress so you start the run on the chilly side and when you're done you'll be glad you did! So let's just get out there and do it, eh? :smile:
  • skopp18
    Options
    I PREFER to run in the cold. The colder it is, the better. Not if it's snowing or if there's ice on the ground (I try to avoid slipping and injuring myself). I actually intend to just start running again tonight.

I just bundle up in layers so I can slowly start unzipping as I get warmer. I have gloves that have the ipod touch tips and I have ear warmers with headphones to connect to my ipod.

I just remind myself that your body needs to burn more calories to keep you warm in the winter, so running in the winter is better than running when it's warm outside. :)
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I bundle up in layers & head out! Usually it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be & cool/cold weather runs sure beat the 104+ days we had in Nebraska this summer. When the ice & snow are really bad, I hit the treadmill & grumble my way through it adding incline. It's not safe to try to run on ice, the last thing I need is a fall & risk breaking something. If I had access to an indoor track I'd use that for sure.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    In the winter time I avoid paths and run on the streets because they tend to be less icy . Try to stay off of busy roads, always run towards traffic so you can see it coming and wear a reflective vest at dusk and dawn. Avoid streets with no shoulder also. If there is a lot of snow and slush around the street sides, I resort to the treadmill.
  • Jessamyfrm
    Options
    Brought myself a Wii Fit for the winter!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Git yerself some yak trax and suck it up!
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I take it you don't live in Florida where it was 68 this morning...But on days it is too cold to run(50F), I go to the gym.

Seriously?:huh: Too cold to run at 50F? It was 33 on my run this morning and I was SWEATING!
    LOL..I am a native Floridian and though I have live in a lot of cold states, I have been back home for the past 12 years and my blood has become thin again, so anything lower than 50 is considered bone chilling...lol.
    I agree on the cold. I grew up in IN, IL and CO; 25 years in Alabama and I need a sweater when it's 70 degrees. Have not progressed to running outdoors yet. The humidity is a killer, I think someone already made the point that it's like breathing peanut butter.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Where I live (Vancouver, BC Canada) it is mostly just cold and rainy in the winter; snow and ice is minimal, but it rains ALL THE TIME. I just bought waterproof trail runners and a lightweight breathable waterproof jacket so I can keep running. Someone else mentioned the trail runners too, and they have better grip. If you get a lot of ice and snow then I would also suggest the yaktrax.

I just have no interest in running inside on a treadmill. Half of what I've come to love about running is the fresh air and pretty outdoor sights :)
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've added an extra layer and gloves but that's about it so far. As it gets icier, I'll probably add some yak tracks and maybe some ear muffs..Looking forward to winter trail runs!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I went out on my little jog this morning at 6am it was nice, frosty and only 1 degree, the first path i went down was fine but when i turned into the next street it was very slippery under foot, i kept going but at a slightly slower pace so not to hurt myself.

Im new to all this jogging stuff so my question is how do you deal with this weather and the slippery paths?

I keep going like you. It snows here and gets icy so I have to be careful too. Some days I go to the gym and run on the treadmill and even though I hate it compared to outside I just enjoy the warmth and the fact that I can listen to music. I don't block my ears when running outside, for safety, but use that time to enjoy the fresh air and mountain sounds and smells. Sometimes I drive down the hill where there is no snow and run on a less slick path.

Oh yeah and good trail shoes. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I take it you don't live in Florida where it was 68 this morning...But on days it is too cold to run(50F), I go to the gym.

Seriously?:huh: Too cold to run at 50F? It was 33 on my run this morning and I was SWEATING!

I am in So Cal. Anything below 65 sounds freezing. Lol
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd join a gym or pick up another sport that is indoors (rock climbing is fun, and I'm a fan of yoga as well) for the winter. Luckily for me, I live in Florida - where winter is the best time to run. I really do pay for the fantastic weather now with our six month long humid summer temperatures.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    I find that temps in the 30's or 40's (zero to 10 C) are actually ideal for running. Internal body heat keeps me warm. At some point I'll put on a cap and maybe gloves for the extremities. I also love to run in the rain, and a little bit of snow is best of all.

However, common sense requires that you take some precautions for slippery surfaces. You shouldn't try to run as fast, especially going around corners. Just go into it knowing that your time may not be as fast and enjoy all that fresh air!
  • kathijen
    kathijen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what you do this time of the year. LAYER! I run in anything above 0F, as long as I can manage the ice. Treadmill, biking, swimming, lifting, pilates all are nice winter activities. For good treadmill boredom beaters--look at Another Mother Runner website. They have a list of 10 runs in 60 minutes or less that are pretty entertaining.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing decisions.

I LOVE THIS! I'm stealing it, just FYI.

But I can't help much on the ice problem: I run in the grass and wear Vibram Five Fingers. When it snows, I switch from VFF Sprints to VFF Treks. Maybe add some toe socks if my tootsies are cold. Along those lines, I would second the suggestion of trail shoes.
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!

I'll look into the Yaktraxs and trail shoes!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a Canadian girl! Today the temperature is 1C (about 33F) and it is great running weather I think. The key to staying warm is dresing in layers. I don't do any more than 3 layers plus a hat and gloves.

If it is too cold, I agree that going indoors is the best plan!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    if you can switch from first thing in the AM to lunch time, often by then the sun has melted the frost, and if it's actual ice people will have cleared their sidewalks, and municipalities will have salted the roads. In the dead of winter, waiting until evening might get you re-frozen or a new layer of ice, so lunch can be pretty ideal. I swing my runs to mid-day or afternoon in the winter when it's warmer, but early or late at night in the summer when it's cooler. 100 degree F (100% humidity) summer days and 5 degree F winter days don't stop me. I've even got goggles I run if the wind chill is super ridiculous. Best part - everybody else stays inside, so it's super peacefull.

I second the comment on preparation. They sell long sleeves, hats, gloves, all that jazz online - if you're tropical and all adjusted, just layer up sooner than us northerners. Unless you like the indoor hamster-wheel thing, to each his own. I find my little neighborhood 2 mile loop monotonous enough as it is.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lol. Love the "glare angrily at the treadmill" comment :laugh: :laugh:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas, and this is the best time of year to go out and run.