Polar FT4

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you want to achieve with your watch. I had a FT4 and it was awesome, but I wanted something that was a little more of a work-horse, so I got the FT40. I actually got this one specifically for what I wanted to achieve when using MFP to change my fitness and eating lifestyle. It worked wonders. But now, for example, I am into triathlon training and other activities. The FT4 and FT40 are not very useful for me. So, it really depends on what you want to be able to track. I do want to say that of all of the other brands I have tried, Polar is consistently the most accurate and reliable, but you definitely pay a premium for that (which I think is worth it).
    Agreed. You get what you pay for and I can witness that with the Timex I purchased. Although, I did find a lot of good reviews on it, so idk. I think for me, I'm into basic fitness, burning a lot of calories with beach body type programs and running...Thanks for your advice.

If you are into running AND calorie burning, i definitely recommend the FT40 then. It can tell when you are fat burning vs. aerobic fitness, which is extremely useful. It is obvious to tell when you are doing something like Beach Body vs. a run. It also tracks you average and max heart rate, which is very important for running. I also love the calories tracking plus the calorie fat %. I bought the FT40 for almost exactly what you are doing...except I was doing Cross Fit.

Okay, awesome. Well, I think I just found a steal on Ebay for the FT40F...so may go with that one for sure now!!
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I bought the Pink one and I love it....and is way more accurate than the Walmart ones.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4. I've had it for almost a year and it's still working well. On a rare occasion it wont pick my heart rate signal. I just take the battery out of the chest strap to reset it. Works like a charm! Not sure if it's completely accurate, but I found out MFP had always estimated my calories a bit lower then the Polar. For basic functions like time & calories burned, this is a great HRM.

I own the FT4 (over a year) and once in a while the HR will register as 200 doing pilates...for my size (105 lbs) is not accurate. Perhaps I need to take battery out, and reset it. My only complaint is the black cheap strap STINKS despite always washing it in cold water and mild soap after every use. Never use hot or warm water as the smell will stick! Great tool to guide you as to how many calories. Absolutely love it!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. The only "issue" I've had with it is if it's cold out and I don't warm it up first (by wearing it for a bit) it takes awhile to find my HR or it thinks I don't have one lol I feel like the calories burned are right on for me but I don't eat all of my work out calories back anyways so if it's off a bit, it doesn't bother me

I love my FT4 I got it for Christmas last year.
    I am glad I read this post because I have been having trouble with mine, I can't get it to read my HR when I first put it on. I keep rewetting it and trying again and after a few times it works. I didn't even think about the cold! This is not a complaint because once I get it going its GREAT!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it! It seems accurate and is easy to use.
  • fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4!! I had the F4 for about 5 years before it died on me and never had a problem with it.
    Thanks for your reply. Do you find that the calorie burn is pretty accurate?? And is set up pretty easy?

The only thing I can go by as far as accuracy is concerned is my old one and in that case, yes it seems accurate. Set-up is very easy....even easier than my last Polar.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4. I've had it for almost a year and it's still working well. On a rare occasion it wont pick my heart rate signal. I just take the battery out of the chest strap to reset it. Works like a charm! Not sure if it's completely accurate, but I found out MFP had always estimated my calories a bit lower then the Polar. For basic functions like time & calories burned, this is a great HRM.

I own the FT4 (over a year) and once in a while the HR will register as 200 doing pilates...for my size (105 lbs) is not accurate. Perhaps I need to take battery out, and reset it. My only complaint is the black cheap strap STINKS despite always washing it in cold water and mild soap after every use. Never use hot or warm water as the smell will stick! Great tool to guide you as to how many calories. Absolutely love it!

I've had that problem too where it would register my heart rate at 200. I wasn't hardly moving so I know that wasn't right.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4!!!!!!!!!! Its been accurate as far as the science goes, and I have found that mfp was really high on the calorie burned end. I did find out the hard way (it was during one of my 5ks) that if you don't wet the band, the burn is off by a lot. So i always run the chest strap under warm water.

Be careful with warm water and it absorbs the sweaty long lasting smell....Just a tip for you!
  • jenehow
    Options
    I have the pink FT4 and love it. Well worth the extra money to have an accurate count.
  • scrymsmary
    scrymsmary Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the F6 and it's going on its 4th year now. I love it. I use it EVERY time I work out. It definitely gives me a more accurate estimate of calories burned and HR than relying on the machines at the gym.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    My first HRM was an Ironman...hated it. I'm now the happy owner of a PFT4. So far very easy to navigate, dependable, and accurate. If I ever purchase a new HRM (doubt) it would be another Polar. I WOULD like to know if I can get another belt. I haven't looked. When I got it I was much heavier and stretched it a bit. Now at the tightest it's not as snug as I'd like and I still have pounds/ inches to go.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT6. I absolutely love it. I burned out the batteries that came with it within 4 months because I use it so often. But even when I had to change the batteries, it saved all my data so I didn't have to re-enter absolutely everything once the new battery was in. The burn seems accurate to me as I'm morbidly obese and have a very high heart rate when working out (also, I sweat buckets, so I know I'm burning like crazy). Definitely well worth the money!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, I was actually addicted to it for a time this summer after I first got it. Now I just use it while I am working out.
    Do you find that the calorie burn is pretty accurate??

I'm wondering how one would know if it is pretty accurate. It takes into account your age, sex, weight and uses this info and your heart rate to calculate calories burned. You wear a chest strap that sends signals to your wrist watch. I think the heart rate tracker is accurate and trust that the formulas are accurate. Most every reading I've gotten from my Polar FT4 is lower than the calories that show up in the MFP exercise database. I trust that the HRM is much more accurate than readings I get on the treadmill or MFP data base because it is based on my personal info.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 only thing about them that I dislike is you have to run the band under water for it to find your heart rate. Other then that works great! I tried going the cheap route with a GAIAM absolutely hated it. So I would recommend the Polar brand!
    The watch band or chest strap?

Just the watch it was a touch screen but touch screen never worked.

What?? You just wet the sensors on the chest strap before you put it on. You don't have to put the watch part under water.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Can I slightly hijack and ask....
    I would love to get one of the Polar FT4s too....
    I have a 7" wrist though, for those that own one, would you mind measuring the watch band?:flowerforyou:

I always have issues with watches or bracelets.

The band has holes all the way around it, so it fits many sizes. I have a 6.25 " wrist and the women's strap fits very loose with at least an extra inch of band left. It should fit you, but if you want to get the man's version, it has a bit larger strap, but the face is the same.
  • Love my polar ft4. It's accurate, comfortable and hasn't failed me yet.
  • SqueakGirl
    SqueakGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a 7" wrist though, for those that own one, would you mind measuring the watch band?:flowerforyou:

The band has holes all the way around it, so it fits many sizes. I have a 6.25 " wrist and the women's strap fits very loose with at least an extra inch of band left. It should fit you, but if you want to get the man's version, it has a bit larger strap, but the face is the same.

Mine measures 9 1/2 inches from the end of the buckle to the end of the opposite strap. There are holes until almost the end. - hope that makes sense.

I have the bronze one, and the inside of the strap while buckled on the largest possible hole looks like 8 inches :) I think you should be good! Plus, I find the watch very comfortable. I love my FT4, hate working out without it!

Mine measures 9 1/2 inches from the end of the buckle to the end of the opposite strap. There are holes until almost the end. - hope that makes sense.

Thank you all! I think I will get one! :) to the OP, sorry for the hijack :)