8K, my first one

Options
So I just signed up for an 8K this weekend. Late registration, last minute decision. I know I can make the distance I have just never *raced* it before. I am not too worried about my time necessarily. I signed up to show myself I can do it regardless of time. plus I figure I set my time now and then beat it next time. I am by no means an awesome runner but I love to do it and I love to challenge myself.

What would/should I do to prepare this week? I lift three times a week, M/W/F, as it is but normally just save my runs for the weekend. Should I hit the running this week a few times? rest my legs and wait? suggestions?

Replies

• gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump to see if anyone has any suggestions.
  • suse33
    suse33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could run a couple times this week, say 5K or less. I would not run two days before the race to let my legs be fresh for race day. I don't think there's anything you can do to get ready for a race in one week. Just enjoy the experience and do your best!
  • gadenni34
    Options
    You could run a couple times this week, say 5K or less. I would not run two days before the race to let my legs be fresh for race day. I don't think there's anything you can do to get ready for a race in one week. Just enjoy the experience and do your best!

yeah no time for training...I know that. lol just wondering what others do the week before something like this. thanks! The last organized *race* I did was a mud run/army challenge. this will be the first time I have taken my running somewhere other than the trails around my house.
  • jimmerwoo
    jimmerwoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on signing up for the 8K!

You want to give your legs at least a 3 day break before the 8K. But I'd recommend going for a fast(ish) 5K 4 days before.

Remember, you aren't racing against the other folks. There's all kinds of standards of runner, and you don't know the back story of any of them.

I'd say first of all just enjoy it and benchmark your first 8K so you can set a target for the next....

But you sound a competitive kinda guy ;o) so if you feel up to it, set yourself a moderately aggressive goal, e.g. (If you are running 5K on average, a pace at 5m30secs/km then set your 8K pace at say 5m40secs/km (You'll tire over the longer distance)).

At this stage you are only competing against the goals you set yourself. Be proud of what you achieve.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of running a few light runs early this week and then taking 2-3 days off before the race.

Don't forget to warm up well before the race.
    Have a blast!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So I just signed up for an 8K this weekend. Late registration, last minute decision. I know I can make the distance I have just never *raced* it before. I am not too worried about my time necessarily. I signed up to show myself I can do it regardless of time. plus I figure I set my time now and then beat it next time. I am by no means an awesome runner but I love to do it and I love to challenge myself.

What would/should I do to prepare this week? I lift three times a week, M/W/F, as it is but normally just save my runs for the weekend. Should I hit the running this week a few times? rest my legs and wait? suggestions?

this is exactly how i did my first 10k last month. last minute decision, late registration just wanted to do it to prove to myself i could. i did go out the day before for 4 mile run (turned out to not be a good decision because i was tired the day of the 10k but pushed through it). i kept myself hydrated days leading up to the race (i'm trying to ween myself off water while i'm running because you just don't get a whole lot of it during races). warm up before, stretch after. have fun!!!!! give yourself a bit of a break leading up to the race.

stay motivated during the race and enjoy it!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When you say you save your runs for the weekend what distances are you doing? If you're already at or exceeding 8km / 5 miles and aren't too worried about time I'd suggest treating it like a slightly faster training run.

From a fitness perspective what you do this week will make little or no difference but a couple of shortish (5k or so) runs will keep you loose.

Have fun!
  • gadenni34
    Options
    When you say you save your runs for the weekend what distances are you doing? If you're already at or exceeding 8km / 5 miles and aren't too worried about time I'd suggest treating it like a slightly faster training run.

From a fitness perspective what you do this week will make little or no difference but a couple of shortish (5k or so) runs will keep you loose.

Have fun!

I run from 3-6 miles lately. I had been running just 3 until a foot injury then recently got myself back out there and was able to complete the 6.

thank you all for the suggestions. I will definitely get a couple of runs in this week to prepare and then just do the best I can on Saturday. as a pp said I am really only in competition with myself.