Protein shakes??!!

Options
2»

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For some it's a easy meal and an easy source of protein.

If you've tried one brand of protein and didn't like it try others. They very widely in taste. The more expensive ones usually taste better and dissolve better than some of the cheap ones. Often the directions call for mixing with water but mixing in yogurt or milk is often better. I puts lots of fresh fruits in when I make them. Frozen yogurt is another favorite. A TB of PB2 makes a chocolate protein drink taste like I blended in a reeses.

Always check the ingredients and the Whey isolates or whey concentrates are generally the best. They also cost more.

Also Google for protein powder recipes because you can make a lot more than just protein shakes with protein powder.
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I usually have one in the morning on my drive to work. I mix the protein powder in the blender with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup of berries or 1/2 cup of any fruit I happen to have, 1/4 c quick oats uncooked, and some ice. I find it keeps me full until lunch. I am one of those people that have a difficult time eating solid foods in the morning and this serves the purpose.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's just a way of making sure you get your protein - this can come from 'real food' or protein powder. While 'real food' is generally better, protein powder is a good way to get your protein target cheaply and with as little calories as possible (assuming you use the low carb/fat ones).
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes as a big part of eating back my exercise calories. I don't use them on days I don't work out.
    This allows me to create a habit of "normal" eating for every day and add the calories and protein only when I need them.

pretty much this. i use protein shakes to help with recovery after a workout and to hold me while i cook a good dinner. sometimes i'll use them in the morning if i forget my yogurt breakfast snack or know i'll go a long time without eating due to running around town or school. protein shakes should only be used as a supplement to an already healthy diet, not in place of, which i think a lot of people miss sometimes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ultimately I think whole foods - fruits and vegetables are best. But most people don't take the time, nor spend the money to take in all their bodies need. I think this is the benefit of a protein/meal replacement shake. There are many good products out there. I personally utilize Shakeology, a completely natural whole food shake with several super food ingredients.

Fruits and vegetables are very low in protein - the purpose of a protein shake/powder should be to get your protein up.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Easy and cheap way to get more protein in my diet
  • FitSlimHappy
    Options
    In the end, is's all down to personal preference!
    But personally I love them. I take a diet protein shake after exercising and I find that it helps with the after exercise aches or ones the following day. Mine is only 151kcals, so it doesnt use up too many kcals and fills me up and boosts my protein intake for the day. I've had some dodgy favoured ones in the past but my current shake (Jst Jodie Skinny Whey) has the best flavours and I find myself really enjoying them!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Easy and cheap way to get more protein in my diet

This.

Unless most of the people in here are talking about using a protein shake as a meal replacement??
  • cemets2873
    Options
    I agree. The primary focus needs to be a healthy diet and a protein shake should provide additional supplement.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I generally get plenty of protein without a shake, but if I'm pressed for time, lazy, or have been having a carb love fest all day, a protein shake is a good way to boost my numbers and fill me up.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's like taking a vitamin for your muscles. Shouldn't need it.

huh?

You get most of the vitamins you need from the food that you eat, or you should anyway. The same goes for protein. As a supplemental source you can use whey, soy, casein, all kinds of different proteins to achieve certain goals and limits. So as I said. It is similar to taking vitamins in pill form as a supplement to daily vitamin intake.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Don't think of a protein shake as a supplement, consider it a food source. They are a convenient way to add a high-protein food to your diet
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love workout supplements. Though as I lose more weight and spend more time in the gym, I could see myself becoming more hardcore in the fit and cut and bodybuildingish direction.

I use Monster Milk after my workouts for the protein, creatine, amino acids, and all the other fun stuff in there. Also, let's be honest... Cake Batter flavor is DELICIOUS post-workout.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It's just a way of making sure you get your protein - this can come from 'real food' or protein powder. While 'real food' is generally better, protein powder is a good way to get your protein target cheaply and with as little calories as possible (assuming you use the low carb/fat ones).
    This. I suggest everyone get their protein from real sources. But I am one of those people who drink whey isolate because:
    1) It's very portable.
    2) Shelf life. If I leave it in my bag for a while it doesn't go bad, where as if I made extra chicken every day it would be garbaged.
    3) Life-saver. I'm in school, and sometimes I spend long hours there and the food on campus is very expensive. If I pack my lunch and I end up staying there for a longer amount of time (sometimes 24 hrs), I always keep a jar of protein powder in my bag so I can mix it with something. Gives me fuel for the long night ahead. Not really ideal but it works.
    4) I move around allot, sometimes I don't spend the night at home (I stay with my bf and friends since they're closer to school sometimes). This means I won't starve in the next few days lol
    5) I'm forgetful as hell, so I can keep food on me all the time and forget about it...but if I forget food I'll find that because I usually keep it on me
    6) cheaper then eating out
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie made with hemp protein powder (plus unsweetened vanilla almond milk, frozen strawberries, and baby spinach) for breakfast every morning. It's about 200 calories and keeps me energized all morning. :) I'm a dairy-free vegetarian so I stay away from whey and casein powders.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It seems that everywhere I look these days people are opting for protein shakes. What is up with that?! Are they really that good and are the health benefits really better than fresh natural food?

OP - never better than fresh natural food.
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes to supplement my protein intake. I do not eat any chicken, pork or red meat, and theres only so much seafood a person can eat!

I make sure that I get at least 20-25g per serving,with as little sugar as possible. Mix up powders with fat free or low fat milk, fruits, etc.

I do not rely on them as meal replacement, but a lot of times they wind up being pretty filling!