Protien shakes Vs Greek yogurt?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
I was reading the back of my protein shake container & it has 15 grams of protein, my chobani plain Greek yogurt has 18 grams of protein. So why even bother with a protein shake? Or why not make a smoothie with the yogurt & use that as a "protein" shake? Does this make sense? LOL

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I use both...Mix my protein powder with the greek yogurt to make a yummy protein pudding....Why does it have to be the one or the other?
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I use both...Mix my protein powder with the greek yogurt to make a yummy protein pudding....Why does it have to be the one or the other?

Because protein shakes make me a bit gassy :ohwell:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I often have greek yogurt for a good snack of protein...nothing wrong with changing things up.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Use whichever one you prefer, but Greek yogurt is a lot more expensive.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i think some of it may have to do with taste and dairy preferences because i totally agree. my protein powder is like 32 g of protein per 310 cals (its flavored) while a cup of my trader joes yogurt is like 22 g of protein per 120 cals. BIG difference. but i personally view yogurt as a snack or breakfast item and my shakes as a post-workout type of thing.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    my protein powder is like 32 g of protein per 310 cals (its flavored) while a cup of my trader joes yogurt is like 22 g of protein per 120 cals.

What kind of protein powder are you using? Mine is 340 calories and 60 grams of protein.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My protein shake is 32 grams of protein for 170 cals. So, it's a little more efficient in the calories/protein department and it gives me only 3 grams of carbs, compared to ?? (much more) for yogurt.
    I still do eat yogurt as a snack.

Basically. Yogurt is part of my regular food. Protein shakes are a calorie/carb efficient way of adding protein on days I need it.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my protein powder is like 32 g of protein per 310 cals (its flavored) while a cup of my trader joes yogurt is like 22 g of protein per 120 cals.

What kind of protein powder are you using? Mine is 340 calories and 60 grams of protein.

chocolate muscle milk. i regret getting the flavored kind seeing as how i dont even use flavored protein in my typical day.. maybe i was craving chocolate the day i bought it or something LOL
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I avoid protein shakes because there's generally so much other additives. If I really want a high protein snack, I'll pull out a small 5oz can of tuna (26g of protein) although I agree that yogurt tastes better :-) You really like Plain Chobani? I prefer the fruit flavored which is a bit lower in protein than their unflavored.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I often mix my NF greek yogurt with water and Mio peach/mango and it tastes a lot like an Indian Mango Lassi, with tons of protein for few calories.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Because protein shakes make me a bit gassy :ohwell:
    Try a different protein powder. Look for one that contains Whey Isolate if your not using that already.

I like protein powder in my greek yogurt. YMMV.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Use whichever one you prefer, but Greek yogurt is a lot more expensive.
    Actually, greek yogurt is a lot cheaper when compared to the inexpensive protein shakes out there...

My personal preference is greek yogurt!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • DJ2120
    Options

Jillian Michaels Lean Whey protein
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Flavored yogurt often has much more sugar than a homemade protein shake. It's still a great option, though.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The whey in the protein shake will reach your muscles for repair a lot faster then protein in food, that's why protein shakes are preferred over food. BUT if you don't have a whey protein shake handy then opt for the Greek Yogurt.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Up to your preference. Either works. Sometimes protein drinks, powders and bars are simply more convenient.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I eat both because I am an annoying person and need variance in my diet from day to day, but if protein shakes give you the toots, then just have plain greek yogurt, just watch the carbs and protein ratio. Every brand varies, especially if you are going between fat percentages.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I had both for breakfast this morning.
  • aymise
    aymise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll usually do the plain greek yogurt and cut the sour with a spoonful of fruit jam or honey depending on what I'm in the mood for that day. It gives you the flavored yogurt with significantly fewer calories (because you won't add as much sugar as the factory does) and a lot more protein than the packaged original.