Fat burning zone and cardio zone

Options
I went to the gym today to test my body fat % and weigh myself. The trainer asked me a few questions about my routine and asked about my target heart rates since he saw I had my HRM on. I told him I normally train at a high HR to burn more calories, but he said that I wasn't working out in the Fat Burning % and therefore wasn't burning the fat I wanted in order to lower the fat % and lose more weight. (I posted earlier today about the scale not budging despite physical changes)

So right after that I went to my cycle class and kept a low intensity and monitored my HR to keep it below the 65% mark. I'm happy to hear that I don't have to bust my *kitten* to lose weight and burn fat, but instead lower my intensity and keep the HR within the fat burning zone.

Does anyone on here use this method during their "cardio" exercises? Has it worked for you? I'm a little confused about this cardio zone vs. fat burning zone stuff, so that is why I just worked out with high intensity all the time to burn more calories overall. Working out at a lower intensity and burning less calories seemed counterintuitive, but then again what do I know :tongue:

Replies

• caityjean
    caityjean Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm actually really glad you posted this! I always look at those numbers, but I figured a higher heart rate would be better. During a normal work out, my HR gets to about 180. On the machine it tells me I only need like 150 for fat burning. So am I actually being counter productive?
  • Ladybug610
    Ladybug610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough the next post I read had information regarding common exercise myths and had this to offer:

THE MYTH: Exercise in the fat-burning zone

THE TRUTH: The "fat-burning zone" lies between 50 and 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. When you exercise at this low intensity, your body draws energy from fat. As your heart rate goes up, more energy comes from carbs. So it seems logical that to lose fat you should keep your heart rate low, says Jason Karp, Ph.D., owner of Runcoachjason.com. But that's not the case.

"Running at higher intensities causes you to burn a lower percentage of fat calories in favor of carbs," says Karp, "but you use more total calories." And that's the key to slimming down. Plus, since you torch more total calories, the absolute amount of fat burned actually increases, too. So it pays to pick up the pace.

Of course, lower intensity exercise still has its place. Long, slow runs build aerobic fitness and endurance. But to kickstart a pokey metabolism, you need intensity. Karp suggests interval training (condensed runs that mix in intense efforts with recovery) because studies have found these workouts burn more calories during and after exercise (see "Torch Calories," for Karp's interval workout). "It also cuts down on boredom," he says, "which makes it more likely you'll stick with your program."

Just thought I'd pass it along :happy:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This article can sorta sum it up. You can burn a higher % of fat calories, but if you work harder you burn MORE calories.

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR
    Total Calories expended per min. 4.86
    Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43
    Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146
    Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73
    Percentage of fat calories burned 50%

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR
    Total Calories expended per min. 6.86
    Fat Calories expended per min. 2.7
    Total Calories expended in 30 min. 206
    Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 82
    Percentage of fat calories burned 39.85%

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do my best to do at least part of my cardio workout in the fat burning zone. Now, there are different way to calculate target HRs and percentages and everything, i can put those at the end of this post. Hopefully i can explain the difference in HRs...Basically when ends up happening is when your HR gets past a certain point, you are simply stressing the cardiovascular system, so instead of going to your fat storage for the energy it needs, it uses other energy stores that will metabolize the energy faster. The cardio system has a lot of feedback and is basically for the most part the first thing the body listens to. So the heart is saying, i need energy to pump all this blood, and the body is saying, okay i'll get you some quick energy - which doesn't come from fat.

Now, if you workout at a lower intensity, your HR will not reach that point in which it needs the quick energy, and it will use your fat storage for the energy it needs. However, because the fat storage takes longer to get to, the workout has to be a long duration in order for that fat storage to "melt" and provide the energy.

Of course the harder you work, the more calories you burn, which if your other energy stores are already depleted, fat will be burned instead (the basis behind low-carb diets)... of course if you are looking for more of a calorie burn, the higher intensity will make sense.

i hope that helps at least a little bit. Now the best way to find the target HR is with the following formula...

First, Calculate the Maximal Heartrate (HRmax):
    General Population: 220 – age
    Individuals older than 40: 205 – ½ age

Then, calculate the Target Heartrate:
    (HRmax- HRrest)(%) + (HRrest):

So, for example, I am 24 years old, and my resting HR is 60 beats per minute.
    My max HR is 220-24 ... 196

My target HR, if I wanted to workout at a 50% intensity would be:
    (196 - 60) (0.50) + 60 = 128

If you want to simplify it, most machines (bikes, ellipticals, treadmills) at the gym have the "Fat Burn" workout option, and you can input your age and it will tell you your HR zone.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
    I just started using my HRM and was reading the manuel about fat burning and strenghing.
    Each of which work at different intensities, depends on your goal.
    Right now I am most interested in burning fat, then I will concentrate on strenghing.
    When I was taking A&P classes I remember something about being "anerobic" and "areobic"
    When you are working too hard I believe you are in an "anerobic" state, and not burning as much fat.
    Dont go by anything I say though, it's been 12 years since I've taken those classes.
    I'm sure Banks will have the real deets , but thumpers info looks good too.
    I'm saving this to refer to later.

Time to watch some mindless T.V......American Idol is starting :blushing:
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The Runner's World article on weight loss myths (cited in another recent post) addresses your question. Here's the answer, which sounds logical to me:

THE MYTH: Exercise in the fat-burning zone

THE TRUTH: The "fat-burning zone" lies between 50 and 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. When you exercise at this low intensity, your body draws energy from fat. As your heart rate goes up, more energy comes from carbs. So it seems logical that to lose fat you should keep your heart rate low, says Jason Karp, Ph.D., owner of Runcoachjason.com. But that's not the case.

"Running at higher intensities causes you to burn a lower percentage of fat calories in favor of carbs," says Karp, "but you use more total calories." And that's the key to slimming down. Plus, since you torch more total calories, the absolute amount of fat burned actually increases, too. So it pays to pick up the pace.

Of course, lower intensity exercise still has its place. Long, slow runs build aerobic fitness and endurance. But to kickstart a pokey metabolism, you need intensity. Karp suggests interval training (condensed runs that mix in intense efforts with recovery) because studies have found these workouts burn more calories during and after exercise (see "Torch Calories," for Karp's interval workout). "It also cuts down on boredom," he says, "which makes it more likely you'll stick with your program."
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    he said that I wasn't working out in the Fat Burning % and therefore wasn't burning the fat I wanted in order to lower the fat % and lose more weight.

You're trainer doesn't know what he's talking about. You were doing better without him (sorry but the harder work is more effective).
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the post I did about a month or two ago regarding my Polar F6 breaking down my calories burned into fat percentage, etc. I essentially got told that it didn't matter, to ignore that number. The bottom line is to build muscle that burns fat. You gain muscle by burning fat, increasing your metabolism, etc. etc.

I tried to stay in the low HR range, which according to my HRM is fat burning area...well I felt like I was barely moving on the elliptical when I did that. Once I posted my questions and got a response, I ignored that breakdown of what cals I burned were "fat cals" and went to town. I've not had any issues gaining muscle or slimming down and have consistently kepy my HR in the mid-high to high range every time I work out.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the post I did about a month or two ago regarding my Polar F6 breaking down my calories burned into fat percentage, etc. I essentially got told that it didn't matter, to ignore that number. The bottom line is to build muscle that burns fat. You gain muscle by burning fat, increasing your metabolism, etc. etc.

I tried to stay in the low HR range, which according to my HRM is fat burning area...well I felt like I was barely moving on the elliptical when I did that. Once I posted my questions and got a response, I ignored that breakdown of what cals I burned were "fat cals" and went to town. I've not had any issues gaining muscle or slimming down and have consistently kepy my HR in the mid-high to high range every time I work out.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I too was confused about this, so I asked my dr. about this yesterday. She told me that while I am trying to lose weight it is best to stay in my fat burning zone. She said when I have reached my goal weight then I could concentrate on working on my cardio. :) I have been working my butt off for a year now, so now I am going to see how this works. I went for a work out today, and I feel great. I worked out longer than usual, and I do not feel worn out. I hope this works :)