Ladies: Not pregnant but TOM is MIA...?

Options
Never thought I would be asking a mass of strangers on the internet questions about my uterus... but here goes. :embarassed:

Has making a diet/exercise change affected your TOM? I've been at this for a few months and this month my period is a week late (which is very irregular for me, I can usually predict its arrival down to the day). I'm not eating a sickly low amount of calories. 1500/day without exercise, on days I exercise I'll eat about half of them back. I have a desk job and I'm a student so I'm sedentary... upping my cals much would make me maintain/gain. I go on walks 3 times/wk and do more vigorous cardio exercise twice/wk. I get my folic acid and iron and all that jazz... So I wouldn't say I've thrust my body into some sort of survival mode...... but I'm still concerned.

Has this happened to you? Did you go to the doctor because of it? Did it resolve itself? At what point should I worry more?

And to answer everyone's first conclusion: I'm 99% sure I'm not pregnant. My husband made me take 3 pregnancy tests. All negative. Of course there is the possibility of false negative. But I highly doubt it.

Need input, please & thank you my lovely MFPals :smile:

Replies

• mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I stopped having my period for 7 months. The first 2 months I was on 1200 cal a day.. but afterwards I upped it to 1500.
    I JUST had a period a week ago.. first one since I lost it.

It all takes time I guess,
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Mine's been MIA since March.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    How long is your normal cycle? If you have a short cycle, less than 26-27 days, you could be pregnant and it is too early for the HPT to pick it up.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    could just be your body adjusting to changes you are making, as far as exercising and dropping weight. i have a hx of my period being all whacky, either it is late or i will have it a few weeks at a time. i would schedule an appt with the lady doctor just to be safe, although i know it can be common for women to experience changes in their menstrual cycle when they start or stop exercise or change their diet. when i ran cross country my period was very light, late or skip at times. i just got off birth control a couple months ago, and am underweight for my height so my period has started to be effected again by that. since you seem unsure about it, definitely give your doctor a call, just to make sure everything is okay.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't give you the citation, but years ago I read that women marathon racers often stopped having periods due to their training regime. Your new lifestyle may put you in that group. Starvation also inhibits the menstrual cycle. You should probably contact your doctor about this and get medical advice.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    No need to worry about it. A mass of issues can influence your cycle. If you miss it for 3 or 4 consecutive months, you should see a doctor, but until then, relax and keep on with your weight loss goals!
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it could be hormones changing with the change of your diet/exercise routine. I think I would wait for a bit before going to the doctor, but I wouldn't let it go on past 2-3 months (just to be on the safe side)
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    How long is your normal cycle? If you have a short cycle, less than 26-27 days, you could be pregnant and it is too early for the HPT to pick it up.

29 days. Sometimes 30. Sometimes 28. Never less, never more.
  • TriThreat
    Options
    when I started working out, and then going back to school, mine disappeared for months at a time. My doctor told me that lifestyle changes/stress/physical changes all can throw you "off" and your period can go MIA for long lengths of time. so perhaps your new diet routine has effected you.

I wouldn't worry too much, but you can always go talk to your doctor. :)
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    I wish mine would be MIA... I have noticed that its much lighter now. I've also noticed it comes earlier and earlier each month. I'm all of track now. I really noticed the difference when I upped my cardio.
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    ive only had 2 periods since last december when i started my life change - but ive done a lot of research, and ive heard you should just let it decide when it wants to come or not. if youre really concerned you can always go see your doc to be put on birth control pills to force it, but its completely natural for it to be mia for a bit when losing weight :)
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Never heard of your monthy cycle called TOM...apparenlty I am in the dark...its always been my friend...as my mother told me as a child...when you reach your teenage years you will always want your friend to come each month...never knew what she really meant till I was in my late teens......anyways...my TOM has been unterupted. Hope all is well!
  • Roboartist
    Options
    At 43 i have skipped at least one cycle a year and irregular patterns are my regular. I did not figure this out until my early twenties but it hasnt changed much. My Gynecologist back said if it is more than three months that is when they would consider testing but it never got to that, my doctor now has pretty much said the same thing,

i would maybe comsider keeping a journal of your cycles, you could even do that on here in your food diary just add a food item that is zero calories. Might I suggest Aunt Flo's zero calorie treats LOL?!
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have possibly the world's most irregular tom. I can go 2-3 months, BUT i had a baby last year.
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank god it's not just me haha. I haven't had a TOM since April. I mean...I'm not complaining. And I'm sure as hell not getting any so it's not like I'm pregnant. But sometimes it's nice to know it's still there and that you're not broken or something haha
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    I have never experienced an absent period on a 1200 calories diet before BUT I did test negative with my daughter until I was 6 weeks pregnant! If you don't think that is it, then no worries and keep up the great work :) I would say in another week test again just to be on the safe side. If you are pregs you need to eat way more calories (I am sure you know that though lol!) Good luck :)
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Not related to exercise but way back when before kids, there were a few years that I was suddenly very irregular when I went off the pill when we decided to actually try to get pregnant -- then couldn't for a while because it was hard to predict when I would be "fertile" so to speak. I did go to several doctors and the best I got was "you are 'amenorrheal' -- sometimes it happens and it's normal. Here's a prescription for pre-natal vitamins. Might help, couldn't hurt." Didn't help and no didn't hurt either but still just had to stick it out for 2-3 years until we happened by accident to get the timing right and I ended up pregnant with our son. It never did get better before that pregnancy but when it came back after pregnancy, it was regular again. But none of the doctors, neither male nor female, ever really did anything about it nor seemed overly concerned about it. So you can ask yours if you want, but don't be surprised if you don't get much of a reaction or solution out of him/her....at least if it's anything like my experience.
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    i would maybe comsider keeping a journal of your cycles, you could even do that on here in your food diary just add a food item that is zero calories. Might I suggest Aunt Flo's zero calorie treats LOL?!

Hahaha that is such a genius idea!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sighhhhh

Who knows! I rarely worry about it now, although I see where you're coming from esp if it's never late.