Textured vegetable protein .......

Options
Anybody use this ? I bought some bc it was on clearance and had the word protein in it -lol ! No clue how to make it look like food. Please help ! Thanks!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've tried this. It needs to be soaked in liquid and if you soak it in water, it has no taste. But if you add it to chili, it picks up the tomato based liquid and is tasty. You may need to add an extra bit of fluid to compensate for what it absorbs. It can be added to soups, chili, casseroles, etc. as a meat substitute.
    Have fun experimenting with different recipes.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Cool ! I just made chili last night. I shall toss some in! Could you add it to oatmeal to add some protein ? Or thicken a smoothie, or maybe not so much! Lol. Thanks !
  • baypeach
    baypeach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made some vegetarian breakfast sausages with it this weekend.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Try using it in place of or in addition to hamburger like in chili and spaghetti, etc. It needs to be a texture not a flavor, so any dish that that idea would work in.

I would not advise using it in oatmeal as it does have some...mild ...flavor that would likely not make the oatmeal taste the best.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili is great and you could also try it in spaghetti sauce or make some sloppy joes, mmmmm.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I used it a lot when I dabbled in vegetarianism some years ago. I made spaghetti sauce, tacos, breakfast tacos, fake hamburgers, all kinds of stuff with it. I haven't had it in years but it was pretty good if you seasoned it up really well. You do need to soak it in liquid for a while to soften it up and then I would drain out the excess liquid by setting it in paper towels in a colander for a while.

I may get some if I see it (I'm not going to go looking for it) now that you've reminded me of it.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I usually re hydrate it in some sort of broth, and the use it where ever I would use cooked, ground meat.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have had a bag of this sitting in the cabinet and finally used it in Spaghetti sauce and sloppy joes. It was actually really good and did fill me up!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    it's TOXIC, as is all Unfermented soy products.... (soymilk, soycheese, tofu, etc.)

Please don't eat it. :[

You should only consume Fermented soy (miso, soy sauce, tempeh) etc. as these types are the only ones truly safe for human consumption.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    it's TOXIC, as is all Unfermented soy products.... (soymilk, soycheese, tofu, etc.)

You should only consume Fermented soy (miso, soy sauce, tempeh) etc. as these types are the only ones truly safe for human consumption.

in moderation im sure its fine (along with the great debate on Mio, Pop and Pizza on here as well). I wouldnt eat it every day no because there are better alternatives (if youre vegetarian or vegan).
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just a thought....TVP is total junk. It's manufactured, processed food. You'd be better eating whole unprocessed foods :)
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options

in moderation im sure its fine (along with the great debate on Mio, Pop and Pizza on here as well). I wouldnt eat it every day no because there are better alternatives (if youre vegetarian or vegan).

Toxins are not okay....even in moderation.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

Are you SERIOUS? It's not fine in moderation, it's TOXIC. what don't you get?

Unfermented soy contains Phytostrogens that aid in killing your reproductive system and give you cancer, among other things. Woo! :drinker:
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    TVP (or TSP) and Soy flour are staples in my household. Here are a few recipes to try.

TVP Oatmeal: Rehydrate TVP with water (or milk) and use it as an oatmeal replacement. Top with your favorite oatmeal toppings.

TVP Protein Pancake:
    - 1 serving TVP
    - 6 egg whites (184 g) or 3/4 cup egg sub.
    - 1/4 cup oatmeal
    - 2 Tbsp (32 g) peanut nut butter (1 serving)

Combine the first three ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Cook on a heated griddle (or pour unto a plate and microwave until done). Top with peanut butter.

TVP Kutia:
    - 1 serving TVP
    - 1 cup milk
    - Honey to taste
    - 1 dash cinnamon
    - 1/4 (or less) cup nuts
    - 1/4 cup dried fruit (optional)
    - 1 dash (or more) of poppy seeds

Directions:
    - Heat milk and honey until the honey is dissolved. Add all remaining ingredients. Continue cooking on the stove until desire doneness. Optionally: pour Kutia into a greased ramkin and broil in a toaster oven until the top has browned.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just use it where ever one would use mince, so chilli, spag bol etc
  • rosieg1979
    Options

Bollocks. References please.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Toxins are not okay....even in moderation.

That's okay. I'll just use magnet therapy and a juicing cleanse to get rid of them!
  • rosieg1979
    Options

But that's to do with the processes and (American) growing conditions. It does not say that soy is toxic.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

Bollocks. References please.

Google.com is amazing. Try looking it up yourself instead of writing ridiculous responses. :flowerforyou: