First 5K

Options
I just did my first 5k this weekend, the Hot Chocolate 5k in Chicago! It was a fun "kick off" to this new journey. I'm sure I want to get healthier, but it's a bit scary. I have a lot to lose and a lifestyle to change... Encouragement/Advice would be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Replies

• willisda
    willisda Posts: 2,251 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing your first 5K! That is a great accomplishment!!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great job. :) My husband and I started running in July and we are loving it. I'm not sure I will ever be brave enough for a race though.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! Congrats!!! I have walked five this year and did the Warrior Dash! I have drank the koolaid :)
  • mancheethebanshee
    mancheethebanshee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5k!! :) That is one of my goals! That must feel awesome. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Great job completing your first 5k-you are on your way!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5K. I ran the hot chocolate 5K as well.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the running!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I did my first not too long ago... quite an experience! Keep at it :) I did an 8K recently and it was hard :) My 3rd race is coming up... thankfully another 5K :)
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. :)
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No advice here, but I am running my first in April! Can't wait!
  • prerna225
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats! I have recently started running as well and want to do a 5k soon :)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    well done :))) Im training to do 5 k too, did one in Jan and then stopped due to back injury. Anyway well done enjoy your journey x
  • sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow what an accomplishment I hope to achieve this one day as well. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! KEEP RUNNING!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    I just signed up for my first 5k today, a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot on the 18th! I don't know what I was thinking...I'm not a runner, I don't run, I don't know how to run! But I am really excited for it!
  • lisaahlgrim
    lisaahlgrim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With 40,000 people, it didn't feel like much of a race. It was more like a ton of people running together and lots of them cheering each other on. Most people just try to compete against their own time, I think. You should try it! It was a total high to be running with such a large group!
  • lisaahlgrim
    Options
    Awesome! I think you'll love it!
  • lisaahlgrim
    Options
    An 8k, that's awesome! One day! :smile:
  • Julie6155
    Options
    I did the hot chocolate 5k yesterday also! It was my first 5k! I was so proud that I did it in 38:28. I know that's not fabulous, but I just wanted to finish under 45 min. since they said you had to do 15 minute miles.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k this weekend, the Hot Chocolate 5k in Chicago! It was a fun "kick off" to this new journey. I'm sure I want to get healthier, but it's a bit scary. I have a lot to lose and a lifestyle to change... Encouragement/Advice would be appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Congratulations! Keep it up and it gets easier. I used to struggle to run a 5k without taking a short walking break and I can now crank 'em out with regularity. I'm running a 10k on Sunday and hoping that it will go well.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5K. I'm running my first in 2 weeks.