Hate to admit it, but I am fairly new to exercise

Options
Well, I finally did it. Signed up for the gym at work. Paid for a year, and a locker. Now I just have to follow through. So, I have not been inside of a gym in over 20 years, I am sure the equipment is all very foreign to me. There are no instructors, just equipment. My issues are numerous. The biggest is that my knees are really bad, throw in a very out of shape body that gets winded very easily and I am not really sure where to start. Suggestions?

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Start slow and easy. Try elliptical for your knee to get cardio up, that'll be your best bet. Also ask the gym if they can have a trainer assist you. That's a great start! They'll teach you proper techniques, exercises, and machines to use, as well as make sure you are not only pushing yourself, but make sure you aren't going too hard. When I first tried starting a couple months ago I kept straining my elbow. Turns out I was going too hard too fast.
  • RDHome224
    Options
    I suggest starting with something you already do such as walking, start on the treadmill or the eliptical. I am unaware of what equipment there is at the gym, but if they have them use the stationary bikes.

The key is to start taking it easy, dont push yourself past what you can do without exhausting yourself, or you wont want to go back and since you've paid already it would be a shame to see the gym as a bad place. Warm yourself up to it. I am very out of shape, and for the first time ever today I tried aerobics lol.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Start with light cardio and challenge yourself to build up gradually. Most importantly, have FUN!!! Bring an MP3 player with music that makes you want to move :)
    Oh, and commit to go a certain number of times a week. Don't settle for excuses, just do it! Even if it's twice a week for half an hour for the first month, next month work up to 3 times a week, then four.
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you are starting new, I would suggest taking a couple of personal training classes or get a gym trainer to assist you, because most of the training especially strength and resistance training, you have to learn the proper technique to start with.
    Yes, as everyone has said, start slow, do cardio, keep getting better.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would hire a trainer at least to get you going and familiar with the equipment. And don't start off with too much. If you're really out of shape it may overwhelm you. Even 10 min a day to start is great. Add a minute every week until a habit is formed.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. I'm pretty sure they have eliptical machines and bicycles, I'll start there. The gym doesn't have trainers or anyone employed to help. Maybe some of the other members can help me, but I don't want to be a pain :) I think this will work for me. As its at work, I can just stay later, no excuses. My problem is I get home and don't want to go anywhere!
  • tishka11
    Options
    I know its not at a gym, but water exercises would be really helpful if you have joint problems as it removes the stress places on joints while also adding extra resistance to help build muslce strength
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    No, definitely be a pain! Machines have changed in 20 years! Will help if you can make arrangements beforehand, offer to buy them a cup of coffee or something if it helps :)

But if there are free weights (hopefully, yes!) there are a number of instructional videos on youtube, and you can practice the movements at least, at home. (Btw good to start that now vs later!)

Well done - I think your setup is *ideal* for getting it done and out of the way before you lose steam :) (Showering at home will cut even more time out of it :)