Looking back at photos...I cant believe I lived through this

Options
georgie_lou
georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
The worst day of my life. Lost 2 friends and my beloved city. Life has not been the same since. 6 weeks without power, petrol, toilets and water.

Do you ever get over something like this?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch-earthquake-2011/12-51/photos/6431870/That-day

*** Warning. Disturbing photos ***

Replies

• Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I remember the day - as a New Zealander who wasn't there. We all felt so helpless and had a burning desire to do something but didn't know what to do!! I'm a teacher and the students at our school we just as helpless and didn't know what to do. I guess you never get over it, but you do move on and the memories become less painful. It is so hard as the recovery is such a long drawn out thing and there are people still now suffering because of the quake.
  • SarahSteele89
    Options
    I remember that day... It was the scariest day of my life so far!!
    I remember holding onto my son's high chair with him in it desperately trying to get him out, just screaming my lungs out.
    I did not lose anyone close to me though, thankfully... I am sorry for your loss =(
    *hugs*
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh.... by picture 34 my eyes were already getting watery that is wow... my heart dropped to my stomach. so sad, God bless you and everyone who was involved in that
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    Those pictures are heartbreaking. I'm so sorry and am sending up prayers to your city, you, and everone there affected by this tragedy. :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Christchurch is one of my very favourite places in the world. I think some parts of The USA are going through something similar right now.... It'll be a long road, and the only way to travel it is one day at a time.... one foot in front of the other.

xxxx
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah the photos from the States really take me back to what we went through. My heart breaks for them. It's something that will change the course of their life forever.

I still find the quakes themselves so surreal. I can remember everything from that day like it was yesterday but also it feels like something that never happened. Even though the devastation is still so obvious (2 years on and still getting aftershocks!!)

sarahsteele89, You'll know what I mean!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i visited chch only a year before it happened and my heart totally broke for the city when that happened. it still makes me sad that some of the landmarks like the lyttelton timeball and chch church spire are gone. that pales in comparison to how you must feel. <3
  • seendie
    seendie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Such heartbreaking photo's, what a dreadful day that was for all you cantabrians. So very sorry for your loss. Also so sad there are so many folk dealing with some really hard times still with a bleak outlook. Have watched so many heartbreaking stories on Campbell live, you feel so helpless.:sad:
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Options
    That day changed my life, there isn't a day that I don't relive every single moment.
    I wasn't even that badly affected either, I didn't lose anyone and my house was fine and my job was fine and life pretty much continued as normal but it totally changed my life.
    <3
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I can't believe a 6.3 did all of that. Terrifying.
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    It really does stay with you every day. If you guys want friends in the area add me! Love having people in New Zealand
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I remember this day. I have three cousins who live in Chch and one of them went missing during the earthquake. It took 2 days for anyone to get hold of him and we were all so worried. I'm so sorry you went through this :heart:
  • SarahSteele89
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah the photos from the States really take me back to what we went through. My heart breaks for them. It's something that will change the course of their life forever.

I still find the quakes themselves so surreal. I can remember everything from that day like it was yesterday but also it feels like something that never happened. Even though the devastation is still so obvious (2 years on and still getting aftershocks!!)

sarahsteele89, You'll know what I mean!

100% know what you mean! couldnt have said it better myself.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Your profile says "CA" but I assume you don't live here with the San Andreas fault... the damage we encounter is like that so often... but what breaks my heart is that those buildings over the pond are so precious, have so much history... when they tumble and hurt people so... ahhhhh!

My hometown went through a similar shake.... twice. The last one seemed to be more devastating than the first. Women perished trying to escape... oh.... dear me. Seriously. My little town will never be the same.

Sorry you went through that. The pictures from here are similar, but the buildings not so old. That to me for you - is a great loss. :\
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lives in Christchurch, and I was so glad to hear from her after days of trying to get a hold of her. Although I'm in the states, is scary when something like that happens. :(