Gyms

Options
What gym do you go to and why do you like it?
My SO and I are considering getting gym memberships, but before we go ahead and sign up for one I want to know which ones are the best or worst from your experience.

We would really like one that has child care for cheap.

TIA

Replies

• _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Check your local YMCA.
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    Check your local YMCA.

I never even thought of that. Thanks!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LA fitness, great for all the classes they offer and they have day care also however I suggest a large kennel and some auto feeders...jk don't call child services on me :)
  • frogz21
    Options
    LA fitness, great for all the classes they offer and they have day care also however I suggest a large kennel and some auto feeders...jk don't call child services on me :)

Haha.
  • rdmclachlan
    Options
    I love our local YMCA. Great facilities. Two day cares avail for different age children. One indoor pool, one outside heated pool. Lots of classes, a basketball gym, cardio facilities. Been a member since 01/2012. $44/mo for my mother and I. (She is 75 and loves the water aerobics).

From the outside it looks small and unassuming. Check out your local Y. Also, I can use my membership anywhere there is a Y if they participate in "Share Facilities".
  • sbowl
    sbowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Fitness 19 is a no-frills gym with all the equipment you need including free weights. They also have a day care during specific hours and I think it's free! Fitness 19 doesn't have showers, but they have lockers in the bathrooms. My husband and I only pay $17 per month for the both of us.
  • frogz21
    Options
    Fitness 19 is a no-frills gym with all the equipment you need including free weights. They also have a day care during specific hours and I think it's free! Fitness 19 doesn't have showers, but they have lockers in the bathrooms. My husband and I only pay $17 per month for the both of us.

That's a decent fee. My SO has a gym at his work he can go to for $10 a month for each person, but we live 30 minutes away from his job so that's not an option for now. I am thinking of Anytime Fitness, but I am not sure yet.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You can't beat the Y for price, value, excellent and knowledgeable staff, great programs for the whole family. They go by your income, and it seems most everyone qualifies for some sort of discount. My Y participates in the ActivTrax which is a free personalized strength training program. You'll work out alone but can meet with your coach when you need to or every 4 wks for progress checks. It's free and of course, optional. They offer tons of classes. I've done zumba, H.E.A.T., Ripped, water aerobics, yoga, group cycling, pilates,and there are more I plan to try. There is a room with machines like ellipticals and treadmills, etc as well as a gated play area for little ones not ready to be apart from mommy yet. When I have to babysit my 2 yr old nephew that's where I take him. There is also a childcare center for $2.00 an hour. There is also classes for kids. All of this is probably different at different locations but I would definitely look into it. I absolutely love the Y. I go about 6 days a week and everyone is kind and friendly and so supportive. There is always something fun going on.
  • beckibell2
    beckibell2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Think about what is important to you, ie classes, equipment, childcare, pool etc. Ask staff how to use the equipment once you join. That should be a given, but normally you have to ask. I've been with a local gym $55ish month for just me (month to month) for 6 years which I have used all the time, expensive but worth it for me. The people are nice, it FEELS comfortable, clean, I can always access equipment etc. I used to belong when the kids were young as well and again really enjoyed it. Where I live, the Y is an hour away. 24 hr fitness my husband and I just joined a few months ago. It doesn't have the vibe as my "home" gym but i love the Classes and the fact that i never have to worry about the gym closing on a weekend. Most gyms have the 3 or 7 day pass especially this time of year. Ask how long childcare staff stay on. Ask what kind of background check they run.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The value for the Y is fantastic, and if you wait until Jan 1st they usually have a discount or waived initial membership fee coupon (if cash is short). We pay 90 bucks a month for the 3 of us (2 adults one teanager), I prefer it to the 24 hour small machines gyms .... because I really like the classes and community.