Sugar Cravings

Options
I was wondering if anyone could pass on any tips or tricks they have used to overcome the sugar cravings and to not binge. I have a weakness for it, especially of a weekend. I am hopeless. I know its bad and I just can't stop myself sometimes. I generally don't keep it in the house because I think if I I have it in the house I'll eat it all, but I still go out of my way to get some somehow. I hate myself before, during and after. I really need to change my mindset. HELP!!

Replies

• Geisha_girl
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic re. Chocolate. If I know it's in the room I have to eat it!! I would love to know if anyone has mastered the cravings. After I eat it I always admit that I could have lived without it and it never tastes as good as I imagined.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard of to stop cravings is to drink a glass of cold water. Supposedly that drives away cravings. Of course it's been fairly useless for me when I have really persistent cravings. In that case I try to choose the healthiest option, such as a small amount (like a teaspoon) of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Saw dr oz show the other day, and he was talking about pea protein powder that prevents cravings. I might give it a try if my cravings keep getting the best of me.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My health coach says our cravings are usually caused by dehydration.
  • ajd241
    ajd241 Posts: 76
    Options
    I've tried the whole drinking water thing, but it seems to not help. I feel that if I have my mind set on it I have to have it. I don't know why I let myself get so far gone but I do. I ruin all the hard work I put in and no matter how much I tell myself that, it still doesn't stop me.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I keep high sugar fruits around the house (watermelon, apples, bananas) so I won't feel the need to bring sweets in the house.

If a friend buys a candy bar for me I promise myself I won't eat more than half in a day- I put the rest away for when I really want it. I usually break it into fourths & then have two pieces that day. I wouldn't mind eating the whole bar in one day occasionally but I feel so disappointed in myself afterwards that only having half makes me feel like I've shown restraint & I enjoy the candy more.
  • bsmnr0
    bsmnr0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugar's great, 3-4 times a week i'll finish off my 6th meal with 300g of icecream, normally doing 70g sugar? it's fine though because sugar is super over hyped and in the end, a calorie is a calorie.

Little bit of background information here, "sugar" is often critisized as it's a simple carbohydrate (unlike oats, rice, which are not only fibrous but also slow digesting; making them 'complex' carbohydrates), but in the end, EVERY carb is broken down by the body and used EXACTLY the same. A gram of carbs from sugar is (in caloric terms) equal to a gram of carbs from rice. ITS JUST A CARB!

People need to learn this! It's been blown out of proportion with retarded diets etc. If you want something sweet, go ahead, eat it, for all I care eat a bucket of sugar. It's YOUR life.

Being helpful now, google the IIFYM diet (If It Fits Your Macros), really will change your life, it's pretty much what you already know about dieting but more 'flexible', it doesn't grant the right to fast food every day or ice cream binges every night, it is no more then straight up scientific logic.

good luck!
  • TadhgMcCarthy
    TadhgMcCarthy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar is created by the devil and all who consume it will commit such an evil sin that they will be butt****ed by 7 different 10 inch multicultural *kitten*.
  • bsmnr0
    bsmnr0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ^ this is also true