PCOS and Hair Loss

Options
ETA: fringe = bangs. Now everything becomes clear.

Hello ladies (and curious gents),

I know there are many soul cysters on here, all battling the bane of PCOS and the myriad of delights that it brings. High five for waxing parts of your body that never should be waxed!

Much as I loathe PCOS, it was one of its symptoms that kicked me into action. About two years ago, I just seem to have...well, less hair really.

My hair was my crowning glory - blonde, long, big thick fringe, and a guaranteed safety blanket. I mean, if it was going to be a fat day, at least it would be a good hair day...right?!

No for much longer. Oh God. Little frizzy bits at my temples; fringe gradually disappearing; more and more inches cut off to make it look presentable.

Anyway. My reasoning was that I could be fat and balding...or I could be just balding. And thus began a two-year effort of shifting the pudge and trying to smash PCOS into smithereens with a kettlebell.

I won't lie - losing my hair occupied my thoughts just as much, if not more, as being fat did. I was constantly looking in mirrors to see if my hairline had retreated another millimetre; combing my hair over sheets of paper to see how much came out; counting shed hairs in the shower.

As my body shrunk, I came to terms with losing my hair. I may have been losing my best feature, but at least my body wasn't my worst anymore (in fact, I put my shoulders over my hair these days!). But still - I felt like I was losing a degree of my femininity and appeal (I know there's more to it all than that, believe me...but even so), and pair male pattern baldness with hirsuitism and my GOD. I felt like I was going to wake up one day and have a HUGE PENIS.

I came across a folder on my laptop yesterday that was full of old phone photos. It saddened me (as well as providing me with shedloads of 'before' pictures!) to see how many pictures there were of my hair from all angles. How many pictures there were of me holding my hair back to inspect my hairline.

I came across this one from 2010, just as I'd started to lose weight. And while my hair isn't what it used to be, and I still scrutinise my scalp more than I really should, it brought home that even though my hairline is still receding, that I'm still thin at the sides...there has been some improvement. My fringe has all but disappeared into a baby-hair mist and I still get spots of scalp showing through when my hair is pulled back and drenched with sweat, but the photos kind of speak for themselves.

F*** you, PCOS. You're still around, like a bad friggin' smell. But I can still kick you into next week.

A30C91F9-F266-4AA6-871D-424DD9D90CAE-14515-00000ED364A7C544.jpg

820D6786-E849-49D8-B812-8E7117DFA611-14515-00000ED372F0348D.jpg

Replies

• xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Yep, not only was I cursed with dry, frizzy/curly hair - its not falling out PCOS sucks!!! BUT we are imporving our bodys and helping say goodbye to some symptoms :) xxx
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    did u loose weight with pcos? do u have a single cyst or small multiple one?........ i do suffer from pcos and i have small multiple cyst in both the ovaries........ does it cause a hindrance in weight loss?.........
    i had lost weight ut gained the entire weight back plus some extra and have reached a plateau........
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    did u loose weight with pcos? do u have a single cyst or small multiple one?........ i do suffer from pcos and i have small multiple cyst in both the ovaries........ does it cause a hindrance in weight loss?.........
    i had lost weight ut gained the entire weight back plus some extra and have reached a plateau........

I lost all my weight with PCOS - I have multiple small cysts on both ovaries.

I think it's a hindrance, but not enough to stop me losing weight (I admit, I have to sweat myself inside out to lose weight). It certainly makes me prone to storing weight around my middle!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You look completely gorgeous, and to be honest, I prefer you without the fringe! :) And your hair looks even healthier. I think I remember some of your other success photos, which were fabulous.

You just awoke a new fear in me though... I always figured the gobs of hair in my hand during every shower wouldn't make a difference to me because mine is so thick and voluminous. Definitely my fave feature. Plenty to lose, right? :D Blah. I'm going to try to suppress this one down underneath "may need to start using husband's shaver one day" and "will have worse acne than my children when they become teenagers."
  • mogletdeluxe
    Options
    You look completely gorgeous, and to be honest, I prefer you without the fringe! :) And your hair looks even healthier. I think I remember some of your other success photos, which were fabulous.

You just awoke a new fear in me though... I always figured the gobs of hair in my hand during every shower wouldn't make a difference to me because mine is so thick and voluminous. Definitely my fave feature. Plenty to lose, right? :D Blah. I'm going to try to suppress this one down underneath "may need to start using husband's shaver one day" and "will have worse acne than my children when they become teenagers."

Aww, thank you ever so much. I suspect my fringe was a bit of a fat girl shield - so when it withered away, I was a bit frantic!

Don't surpress it! Don't panic, by any means, but don't squash it down so far it's right in your toes. Hair loss is an indicator of many things - sensitivity to testoterone in my case - but nutrients, stress, a whole mixture of health issues.

If it's any comfort - my hair is nowhere NEAR what it used to be. My hairline is about three inches further back than it used to be. I have my face waxed every 3 - 4 weeks, and will struggle to conceive. But I still feel in control of PCOS: it may be a mental coping mechanism, true. I still have to watch where I stand in direct sunlight.

Perhaps worth paying the doc a visit? I was put on Metformin and Dianette for PCOS, and whilst I maintain that weight loss and exercise did FAR more for that cyst-addled POS than meds did, I do wonder if they kept a cap on how bad it could have been.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I generally feel in control of it too (I do know for sure I have PCOS, and spent far too much time in endocrinologists' offices trying to get pregnant). I really have lost my hair like this forever, and it's still hanging in there. I was on Metformin for a few months when I conceived my first, but I found that after he was born I was able to regulate my cycles myself (including conceiving my daughter!) with exercise and eating right. I feel so much better knowing that I'm doing it myself. Hair loss be damned. :wink:
  • mogletdeluxe
    Options
    I generally feel in control of it too (I do know for sure I have PCOS, and spent far too much time in endocrinologists' offices trying to get pregnant). I really have lost my hair like this forever, and it's still hanging in there. I was on Metformin for a few months when I conceived my first, but I found that after he was born I was able to regulate my cycles myself (including conceiving my daughter!) with exercise and eating right. I feel so much better knowing that I'm doing it myself. Hair loss be damned. :wink:

There's a fist-pump for you soul cyster, right there!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started to cry when i realised my hair was getting really thin and receding, i thought losing weight would help it, it hasnt really

I got rid of the full fringe had a side one for a while, let it grow out, then still had mega thin hair

So i reclaimed my fringe but had to get it taken from further back hair towards the crown (hairdresser was 'are you sure' and i was 'oh hell yes' )

I am still on metformin and yasmin though, wish i got my waxing free though thats a pain on my purse !
  • monteymole
    Options
    Brilliant attitude to pcos I'm just embarking the start of my weight loss journey and to kick pcos up the *kitten* !! You have inspired me Thankyou :)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I hate that!!! I have been able to keep my PCOS symptoms under control now with my weight loss so far,but ya know what eff it I don't care anymore ^u^ I am proud and hope to be at my GW by next Feb (one year) Glad to know I am not the only one! Thanks for posting this cupcake!!
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ugh, yes! My hair started to thin out right after I had my daughter (my miracle baby). My bald spot is front and center...and there is no way to hide it. I also am very thin on the top of my head. I've tried numerous shampoos to grow my hair and nothing helps. I just try to style it the best way I can and live with it.

F**k PCOS!!
  • suzie308
    Options
    Don't know if I have PCOS but I'm nearly 65 so my period has been gone for years. I do have male pattern baldness though. I hate it that both of my sisters have sufficient hair and I don't think weight loss is going to help with my hair, but I will continue to lose. Thanks for the info. I always wondered why I lost my hair I always thought it was my fathers fault. Rest his soul.
  • mogletdeluxe
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!
    I started to cry when i realised my hair was getting really thin and receding, i thought losing weight would help it, it hasnt really

I got rid of the full fringe had a side one for a while, let it grow out, then still had mega thin hair

So i reclaimed my fringe but had to get it taken from further back hair towards the crown (hairdresser was 'are you sure' and i was 'oh hell yes' )

I am still on metformin and yasmin though, wish i got my waxing free though thats a pain on my purse !

I hear you loud and clear - I was absolutely devastated when I realised I was losing my hair. I tried to keep a sense of perspective - I could be losing it for far worse reasons - but...even so. It was MY best feature, and it was literally going down the drain. Also; BIG HAIRFACE. I worried I was gonna have to turn my head upside down...I tell you what, if I'm ever any kind of world leader, free waxes for all.
    Brilliant attitude to pcos I'm just embarking the start of my weight loss journey and to kick pcos up the *kitten* !! You have inspired me Thankyou :)

More than welcome :)
    I hate that!!! I have been able to keep my PCOS symptoms under control now with my weight loss so far,but ya know what eff it I don't care anymore ^u^ I am proud and hope to be at my GW by next Feb (one year) Glad to know I am not the only one! Thanks for posting this cupcake!!

So glad you are getting there! I love hearing success stories of ladies who also have PCOS - it's another two fingers up to them!
    Ugh, yes! My hair started to thin out right after I had my daughter (my miracle baby). My bald spot is front and center...and there is no way to hide it. I also am very thin on the top of my head. I've tried numerous shampoos to grow my hair and nothing helps. I just try to style it the best way I can and live with it.

F**k PCOS!!

You know, I visited a few trichologists and it really saddened me to realise that all they really wanted to do was sell me shampoo :( Load of rubbish.

If it's any consolation, your hair looks lovely in your photo (but I know what it's like for people to say that - I always want to wail "but it's not what it used to be like, grrrr, flattering angle, blah blah blah") and your smile out-does any hairloss. But yeah. I know how it feels.
    Don't know if I have PCOS but I'm nearly 65 so my period has been gone for years. I do have male pattern baldness though. I hate it that both of my sisters have sufficient hair and I don't think weight loss is going to help with my hair, but I will continue to lose. Thanks for the info. I always wondered why I lost my hair I always thought it was my fathers fault. Rest his soul.

Hormones are terrible, really. I never really took into consideration how much of an impact they can have on our entire bodies. I suspect genetics have come into play with me and my mother has very thin hair, so I can't place the blame entirely at the door of PCOS. But yes, if you Google PCOS hair loss there's infinite resources and, more importantly, other people's experiences of it.

This issue is such a sensitive one for me - thank you all for taking the time to share your stories xxx
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too if anyone wants to add me. :)
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I suspected I had PCOS for years before I asked to be diagnosed...I went to the docs loads of times with symptoms always left clueless and eventually researched it myself then finally asked to check for that specific thing....

I was further disapointed that the only issue the doctor seemed to advise me on was conceiving...The other issues from it - hair/weight for example she totally dismissed.
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

F**k PCOS!!

You know, I visited a few trichologists and it really saddened me to realise that all they really wanted to do was sell me shampoo :( Load of rubbish.

If it's any consolation, your hair looks lovely in your photo (but I know what it's like for people to say that - I always want to wail "but it's not what it used to be like, grrrr, flattering angle, blah blah blah") and your smile out-does any hairloss. But yeah. I know how it feels.

Thank you :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!