question about "toning specific areas"

Options
Hi everyone, I just read a post that said that you can't target areas to lose inches faster. For example, I am really working hard on my arms, especially my armpit area. I understand that losing the fat is the only way to get rid of this excess skin, but wouldn't strength excercis help and speed up the progress? i swear, if I don't start losing more inches on my upper body, I'm gonna look like a tomato on toothpics!!!! I've lost 9 inches on my hips and 6 on each thigh! but, while I've lost 7 inches on my chest (believe me, isn't gonna matter much anyway I'll never lose the girls, never have with previous losses. I'm stuck with D's forever!) the inches I've lost around chest is more through my back area, but I've only lost 1 inch on my arms!!! Very frustrating! I'd like to disperse it a bit better!! Any ideas?

Replies

• MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out your arms will definitely firm up the muscles, and can make them look more toned. It won't burn fat directly, but they might look better. Also, muscle burns calories, even at rest, so adding muscle all over will help you burn more calories throughout the day!
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You have the right ideas. You are also right about weight lifting in the arms to help with your weight loss. While you can't target areas you can work the muscles and they will burn the fat around them. Weight lifting burns calories during and long after you lift so it is very beneficial. You also still need to work on the weight loss part and eventually it has to go somewhere and will leave your arms. Consider weight lifting arms and legs so you don't look disproportional in the end. I'm struggling to get my legs and arms where I want them to be. I've lost almost 30 pounds but it doesn't really look like it, people kinda look at me funny when I tell them. I don't even know where it went. I wish there was target weight loss areas. (wait there is, it's super expensive and I hear that it comes back worse than before!)

Good luck!
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just read a post that said that you can't target areas to lose inches faster. For example, I am really working hard on my arms, especially my armpit area. I understand that losing the fat is the only way to get rid of this excess skin, but wouldn't strength excercis help and speed up the progress? i swear, if I don't start losing more inches on my upper body, I'm gonna look like a tomato on toothpics!!!! I've lost 9 inches on my hips and 6 on each thigh! but, while I've lost 7 inches on my chest (believe me, isn't gonna matter much anyway I'll never lose the girls, never have with previous losses. I'm stuck with D's forever!) the inches I've lost around chest is more through my back area, but I've only lost 1 inch on my arms!!! Very frustrating! I'd like to disperse it a bit better!! Any ideas?

ONE WORD - - - - - - P90X!!!!!!! It is awesome!!!!
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I can totally relate to you! I have lost inches everywhere but my arms. I've lost the fat on my arms, but now I have skin that sags and is really gross. I am not at all a believer in plastic surgery, but I am seriously considering it. My arms are so gross. In fact, everyone asks if I have more self esteem now because of the weight loss, but I am so much more self conscious about my arms that I think I have less..............I've lost a lot of weight fast so I think that is why it seems so drastic but I am so uncomfortable with it. I will be the only girl wearing long sleeves come summer time!
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    thanks for the posts! i am actually working out my legs as well as my arms. Actually, I started with my legs first and added strength traning about a month later that really consentrates on my arms. My son just purchased the Px09 (?) so I'm thinking about trying it. I'm amazed at the strength I've built since working out everyday! I just hope my arms can catch my legs!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you keep losing, it all comes off everywhere eventually. :smile:

Your body takes the fat off from where it thinks is the best place. If you lose fast, sometimes you can get pretty thin in some parts of your body. But eventually, the fat redistributes.

For example, last summer I was so skinny on top that my ribs and spine where showing! But I had fat in my boobs and my tummy and a bit in my thighs. After I stopped losing on the scale, I continued to lose fat where I had extra but fat came back in the spots that were super-skinny so they didn't look quite so scrawny. Thank goodness!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Also, muscle burns calories, even at rest,

So does fat.

:)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You have the right ideas. You are also right about weight lifting in the arms to help with your weight loss. While you can't target areas you can work the muscles and they will burn the fat around them.

Not directly. And maybe you weren't inferring that it would do so directly... but just to be clear for the OP, you can certainly build muscle in your arms, but that doesn't mean the fat on top of your arm muscles will be "next in line" for oxidation (burning).

Unfortunately our bodies burn fat in a pattern that's predetermined by our genetics. And our problem areas are usually the first place to store fat and the last place to lose it.

Not trying to burst any bubbles here... but do want to maintain the integrity of information.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna look like a tomato on toothpics!!!!

LOL! I feel like this is how I look! I have a big chest too! Good luck!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Also, muscle burns calories, even at rest,

So does fat.

:)
    I thought that was only brown fat that was metabolically active?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I thought that was only brown fat that was metabolically active?

Nope, all adipose tissue is metabolically active. Once we figured out that produces a number of hormones, one of the big ones being Leptin, we realized that adipose tissue is metabolically active. Granted, it's lower in metabolic cost than other tissues... but so is skeletal muscle.

Research puts the energetic costs at:

Adipose tissue = 2 cal/lb/day
    Muscle = 6 cal/lb/day