Why am I so Hungry!!??

Options
2»

Replies

• t_nikki
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are going very light on protein that could be why you feel so hungry. I would cut carbs to 100 and up protein to 100+

Good choice for increasing protein is Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt - fewer calories at 80, half the carbs of other brands (9), larger portion and much creamier.
    I will increase my protein starting tomorrow and see how it goes! Thanks
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    When I am feeling the hunger pangs I always drink a pint of water first and that sometimes does the trick. I also keep dark chocolate in the fridge and break off a small piece and let it melt slowly and that seems to satisfy too
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar intake... Keep it at 20 grams... More than that and your appetite hormones, Leptin and Grehlin, do not work. You WILL have to buy a new wardrobe if you can stay at 20 grams of sugar!!

What?

OP: You have already been given advice re upping calories which is good. Protein and fat help satiation usually.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar intake... Keep it at 20 grams... More than that and your appetite hormones, Leptin and Grehlin, do not work. You WILL have to buy a new wardrobe if you can stay at 20 grams of sugar!!

What?

Yeah. What?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I suggest a diet break this weekend. Eat at slightly above maintenance to recharge your batteries sort of speak.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Protein like a man idiot, when I have snacky days I have a steak with 2 eggs and I'm SO full!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Terrible advice.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Today, has been a very hard day for me, hunger wise. I have been feeling like I am starving all day long! I have been logging and staying within my cal range for about 3 weeks with not really any issues at all. In fact, I was really surprised at how easy it was to stay in my calorie range and feel really satisfied but then today I feel like I can't get full at all! I hate this feeling. Any suggestions ? IS this just something that happens sometimes along the journey ?

Hunger comes in cycles. Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

for me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

I am debt free and I never want to go into debt ever again. It's a hard journey, no way around it. I don't ever want to have to do it again.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

I think the poster is insinuating you will LOSE weight and need a new wardrobe if you stay at 20 grams of sugar.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

Not sure if under 20 grams of sugar would help, but it's worth a shot!

Ghrelin is the hormone that makes sure your body eats enough; while leptin is the hormone that suppresses appetite. Foods that are quickly turned into sugars (donuts, cake, etc) signal ghrelin to react. Being dehydrated can increase the hormonal signals that ghrelin sends out. For obese people, leptin levels are lower. The more fat in your body, the more leptin resists doing its job of suppressing your appetite.

Interesting stuff I was reading earlier today:

Fructose is particularly bad because it does not signal to the body that it's full.
    Leptin hormone tells the body it is full. Ghrelin hormone tells the body it is hungry. When glucose is consumed, the body releases insulin to move the sugar into the cells. Insulin also triggers the release of leptin to tell the body it is full.
    However, fructose is metabolized directly in the liver. It does not trigger insulin to be released. And therefore it does not trigger the release of leptin which tells the body it is full. So we keep eating.

This is why I have been trying to limit my "bad" carbs, like cookies and candy bars...even if I have the calorie allowance for it.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have noticed in the past that I would have a new weight drop the day after a "hungry" day when I was dieting. Sometimes I would feel a little dizzy that day, too.

I have days like that now, but I don't step on the scales that often, so I don't know if the same sequence of events applies. Regardless, my priority is to stick to my meal schedule and drink water if I think I'm "hungry" between meals. I had gotten into the habit of eating all the time whether hungry or not, and I think the old me sometimes tries to assert herself by making me think I'm too hungry to wait until the next meal. I try to ignore her as much as I can. I know I'm not going to drop over from starvation if I have to wait for a meal. I'm sticking to a sensible calorie count.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Today, has been a very hard day for me, hunger wise. I have been feeling like I am starving all day long! I have been logging and staying within my cal range for about 3 weeks with not really any issues at all. In fact, I was really surprised at how easy it was to stay in my calorie range and feel really satisfied but then today I feel like I can't get full at all! I hate this feeling. Any suggestions ? IS this just something that happens sometimes along the journey ?

Hunger comes in cycles. Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

for me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

I am debt free and I never want to go into debt ever again. It's a hard journey, no way around it. I don't ever want to have to do it again.

This is explained brilliantly!! I am unfortunately still in debt, lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

Ghrelin is the hormone that makes sure your body eats enough; while leptin is the hormone that suppresses appetite. Foods that are quickly turned into sugars (donuts, cake, etc) signal ghrelin to react. Being dehydrated can increase the hormonal signals that ghrelin sends out. For obese people, leptin levels are lower. The more fat in your body, the more leptin resists doing its job of suppressing your appetite.

I know what the hormones are and what they do - I just do not get the logic of being under 20g of sugar. For a start, as having 2 pieces of fruit will put you over, this is bad advice. Also, you can be under 20g of sugar and over your maintenance calories - if you are, you will gain weight.

ETA: the hormones also work the other way - if you undereat, you are not hungry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

I think the poster is insinuating you will LOSE weight and need a new wardrobe if you stay at 20 grams of sugar.

Which is an incorrect assumption/assertion.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

I know what the hormones are and what they do - I just do not get the logic of being under 20g of sugar. For a start, as having 2 pieces of fruit will put you over, this is bad advice. Also, you can be under 20g of sugar and over your maintenance calories - if you are, you will gain weight.

ETA: the hormones also work the other way - if you undereat, you are not hungry.

I know, I don't really get why 20g is the magic number either, and I was more explaining the hormones to the OP.

Under eat, like eating under maintenance or you mean below 800 daily? Interesting..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What?

Yeah. What?

I know, I don't really get why 20g is the magic number either, and I was more explaining the hormones to the OP.

Under eat, like eating under maintenance or you mean below 800 daily? Interesting..

Lol - sorry, thought you were explaining it to me. :flowerforyou:

There is no bright line - different people react differently to deficits. But pretty much anything below maintenance can get them out of whack. That is why you often hear people eating say 1,200 calories that they are not hungry.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I'm always hungry. I was constantly hungry eating 3000 - 5000 calories a day at a BMI of 29 and I am constantly hungry now at a BMI of 20 eating 1200. I just have learned to live with it.