Holidays are coming ...

Options
... and I am wondering how to deal with the unavoidable increase in tasty treats, delicious desserts, glorious goose, delightful dumplings and and and ...

Do I either just carry on until the big days and then trebble the amount of cal intake for a few days and deal with the fall out or would it help to slowly increase my intake to maintenance level so that the holidays don't come as a total shock to the system (both in weight and presumably digestive system).

I do intend to watch what I eat over xmas, but I am under no illusion that I will be able to stick to my calorie goal during this time.
What do you suggest, what do you do? Anyone out there with experience on how to best enjoy oneself without sacrificing too much of the good work over the last months for the sake of a xmas goose?

Thanks for your ideas!

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ... and I am wondering how to deal with the unavoidable increase in tasty treats, delicious desserts, glorious goose, delightful dumplings and and and ...

Do I either just carry on until the big days and then trebble the amount of cal intake for a few days and deal with the fall out or would it help to slowly increase my intake to maintenance level so that the holidays don't come as a total shock to the system (both in weight and presumably digestive system).

I do intend to watch what I eat over xmas, but I am under no illusion that I will be able to stick to my calorie goal during this time.
    What do you suggest, what do you do? Anyone out there with experience on how to best enjoy oneself without sacrificing too much of the good work over the last months for the sake of a xmas goose?

Thanks for your ideas!
    How about you enjoy yourself in moderation?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is a concern for me as well. I have decided that moderation and healthier choices as I have been doing. That is what I am going to do. Also as I am the cook in my home, I will be trying out healthier side dishes for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I enjoy my Christmas holidays, eating ect..but I don't fret about it..I just keep up the exercise and enjoy my food :wink:
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    There will certainly be moderation (as in one portion of goose and dumpling instead of two or three), but unfortunately as we will be with family, we do not get to choose what will be on the menu or how it is prepared - I am fine with that, and I am fine with just moderating the amount I will eat (I think, unless my willpower cracks under the amount of ginger breads, chocolates, cakes and cookies), I am just wondering if it would be sensible to "prepare" my body for the "shock"? I am currently eating relatively healthily, very low fat and very limited amount of treats and junk, and on the few occasions where I went over my calorie goal, my weight just went through the roof the next couple of days ... Should I just accept that or can I, by increasing slowly to maintenance intake, set my body up for what is to come ... or would that just mean instead of putting the weight back on at xmas I will not lose it by then in the first place? *Confused* ...
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am really not worrying about this at all- it is a time of eating, drinking and being merry! One day (or two) won't really hurt, but if you are worried, why don't you switch your calories to maintenance for a few days over the holiday period? Or eat but cut out the wine?

If your anything like me you'll get really full really fast and won't be able to splurge as much as you thought you would anyway!
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    Yeh, was thinking that, but can I simply switch to maintenance or do I need to slowly ramp up to it?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    So ?

There's always SOMETHING coming :drinker:

Do what you normally do ..... if you want something, plan for it ...... and exercise !
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    Well, no, actually, there isn't ...

The question was how to plan for it best ...
    Exercise will be somewhat tricky as we will be travelling and staying with respective families, so apart from the daily dog walk there won't be much time or opportunity. Hence the question how to best deal with it, just write off a few days or getting the body used to a maintenance intake so it won't come as a big shock ...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's all calories in, calories out. You're not going to "shock" your body and magically have it store 2000 calories worth of fat when you've only eaten 1000 extra because it's more than it's used to. Sticking to your current plan and having a few blown-out days is going to get you to goal sooner than eating more every day and still having the same blown-out days, BUT if that's psychologically more doable then it's the way to go. (If you're going to eat all the cookies at work because it's a "special occasion" then it's better to be on a maintenance plan where you can still say "no, these cookies are not part of my food for today" or "one cookie fits into my food plan for today" than "I've been so good on my diet, I deserve a treat! All the cookies in my belly, now!")

My personal plan is to go on maintenance after Thanksgiving, but only because that's when I'll be reaching a particular goal, not specifically because of the holidays; I'm still going to be tracking maintenance calories and not eating all the cookies. (At least that's the plan. Probably some unintended cookies will be eaten.)
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    lol, thanks, I like the idea of "unintentional cookie eating" ... and yeh, I guess you're right, I am going to have the "blow out days" either way, so it matters more what I do until then than on the actual days ...

Well done for reaching your goal, btw! :-)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I did a blog post about this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/crazybookworm/view/recovering-from-the-holidays-439310

But in short, just enjoy! Portion Control and Moderation is key :)
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The holidays only come once a year. Enjoy a bit of the sweet and good stuff and remember the fitness journey you are on today. You aren't going to get there overnight and as such, you are not going to derail your progress overnight. Or will you? Now, if you are like me, it takes regular routine so that I do not get derailed. If I start eating junk food, dammit, I crave it and it threatens to put me off track. What the heck do they put in those junk foods that is so addicting?

Okay. Back on track. When you are with family, can you take a walk after dinner, make it a family walk? Just keeping moving. If you do go off track for a day or two, no worries. You decided to get fit. Just look at each day of healthy eating and exercise as another day of smart health choices. If you miss a workout or two but you kick butt when you get home again, your progress is not going to slow that much. Keep your head up and you will do fine.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that I will still log everything I put in my mouth to the best of my ability and then walk, run or ride my stationary bike for what ever I eat over my goal. I'm going to try watch Portion Control and eat only until I'm satisfied and not until I"M STUFFED!
    But, most of all I'm going to enjoy the time I have with my friends and family!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting all year for stuffing with gravy on it and pumpkin bars and Christmas ham ... and no one is going to take that away from me. :laugh:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Head over to NerdFitness and read this article...it's specifically taylored to this question:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/05/no-holiday-weight-gain/
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I plan on eating what I want on Thanksgiving day and Christmas Day and not feeling bad about it. What I will be doing differently however, is not eating like everyday is a holiday through November and December like I did last year. If I made cookies, I would eat them. If Culver's was having pumpkin shakes, I would get one.
    As long as we keep doing what we're doing, eating well and exercising most days, the holidays will be fine. :)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions. Don't take home leftovers. If you do, only take enough for ONE meal (with portions in mind). If you have to take more leftovers (or if you cooked), separate into meals and freeze them for a random day when you want that type of food. My mom also makes things like dressing in muffin tins (regular size) and then freezes them for perfect portions.

Drinking peppermint or cayenne pepper tea will help with digestion.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All my family (including my kids ages 10-12 and 15) have signed up for a local "Turkey Trott" thanksgiving morning. Theres no way I will feel guilty after running a 5k before Thanksgiving dinner! >:O)

Also I will have my Insanity workout that day too...
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Head over to NerdFitness and read this article...it's specifically taylored to this question:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/05/no-holiday-weight-gain/

Some really good suggestions in this article. Thanks!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    It is all up to you! I know in my family with my mom having the dream of being a pastry chef that we have homemade goodies everywhere but I will have MFP up all day to log. Also eat a protein first. Nice big piece of white meat turkey or ham. Protein is the most immediately satiating macronutrient meaning it will make you feel full immediately. By starting with a nice piece of protein you are less likely to fill yourself with starchy, higher calorie foods like stuffing and potatoes. Also when people celebrate thanksgiving there is a lot of sitting. Get moving!!! A lot of families have the xbox kinect or the Wii system and those allow you to burn calories while still having fun. I am an avid cyclist as well as my mother so I am taking my bike down to her house and plan on taking a ride with her, even if it is just 5-6 miles it is something.

Moderation is key, You think I am going to turn down my mothers homemade sugar cookies or pecan pie? No. However I will have the smallest cookie I can find (or half of one depending on how she makes it this year) and a Sliver (no more than 3 oz) of pie. I have no shame weighing out my food at her house knowing she has a food scale. It is all about smart choices. In years past I would have had a 64oz soda and had eaten a handful of cookies before my meal.

You can do it, it is all about your willpower to say when you are finished and not stuff yourself with desserts.